Hire the best Decking Expert

New Spotted Gum Deck - Issues

Apprentice (new member)

Default New Spotted Gum Deck - Issues

Iíve recently had a brand new spotted gum deck constructed at my place as part of a big renovation. Weíve been in the house for 3 months and the decking has discoloured, cupping on the edges and cracking in some spots.

Is this a defect that I can speak with the builder about?

Community Moderator

Could you take some photos of what you are referring to so those who comment can see what you are talking about.

And please upload using this site's image uploader, not a sponsored link

Heads up How to upload photos (renovateforum.com)

While you are working out how to load pictures I would suggest you do contact the builder and get his ideas. You would not expect bowing and cracking if it has been oiled, the builder may be able to assist if it is the supplied timber at fault. However to get comments we do need to see what the problem is. Cart before the horse, try to isolate the problem first on a no fault attitude then go from there.

Apprentice (new member)

c79815e5-d596-4a50-a0e2-35fa4c348083.jpeg

Apprentice (new member)

0fc37bde-39bc-4b1a-979b-6be5a3286f3b.jpeg

Apprentice (new member)

633dfdd9-2b9a-40fc-a17b-4c445fd95ab0.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the reply. A little harder to see as itís been raining. Boards havenít been sealed on underside is this an issue?

2K Club Member

no one seals the underside. oiling with a good quality oil early in critical - this looks like a fungus to me - sometimes happens in lots of shade and moisture (its been the wettest year for some decades this year on the east coast)

Its going to need a clean and scrub and re oil witha a good product

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    no one seals the underside......
    I and any learned woodworker would. It would be especially hard to convince a builder that he should have oiled the underside, also it would be difficult for him to be competitive with the extra work.
    There is an old saying in fine woodworking and even knowledgeable slabbers; "do the same to the bottom of the wood as you would the top", and, of course, the ends are more important than either.
    It is impractical to give deck boards a second and third coat but you can give the wood a far better chance at lasting by using oil or better still oil based wood preserver, the wood still "breaths" but repels water. Because there is no UV or wear it will last a very long time and be far less likely to cup, split, warp or twist.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
    I and any learned woodworker would. t.
    yeah, thats what I mean. (ie no builder would) You would almost need to fully cut and dry fit the entire deck, turn all boards upside down, oil them and then leave them a week - like wow, i'm sure it would be better, but thats a lot of time. (i'm just thinking of oils and how hard it would be handling them after oiling (i've pre oiled a pergola once, and it sure took some space and patience).

best of luck for anyone with the time or inclination though

I'd only suggest underside oiling when close to damp ground otherwise a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    yeah, thats what I mean. (ie no builder would) You would almost need to fully cut and dry fit the entire deck, turn all boards upside down, oil them and then leave them a week - like wow, i'm sure it would be better, but thats a lot of time. (i'm just thinking of oils and how hard it would be handling them after oiling (i've pre oiled a pergola once, and it sure took some space and patience).

best of luck for anyone with the time or inclination though
    No it was much simpler than that; just grab a board, put on saw horses, paint the oil (I used Cutek Wood Preservative) on all sides and the ends then stack on horses then re-stack in bundles and strap up till ready to use. this process also allows you to re-stack in common lengths making picking up the right board when building far easier. Re-oil the ends when trimming to length, of coarse.

You have gloves on during this process and by the time I started laying they were fine to handle.