Hire the best Decking Expert

New Spotted Gum Timber Deck - when to oil and what with

Apprentice (new member)

Default New Spotted Gum Timber Deck - when to oil and what with

Hi all;

First post - planning on rebuilding old deck over the christmas period. I am getting Spotted Gum from the sawmill, and am curios as to the best time, post laying, to oil it.

Also, with the oil, i am keen to preserve the natural look of the timber, so after a few product recommendations. Deck is mainly in shade, 21m2

Thanks,

Have a read at the first post in this section called cleaning and oiling your deck. Too many variables and opinions on the topic to expect a straight answer.
    As rule of thumb, natural oil needs more upkeeping than water based coats, but that's as far as generalisations go.
    If you are laying the deck, make sure you do so with either countersunk screws or hidden screws so that you can sand it in some (hopefully) remote future.
    Whatever you do do not nail it.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Novice

Default New Spotted Gum Timber Deck - when to oil and what with

Mate. You can nail the deck its up to you if screw and nail. If nailing the deck just means u punch the nails when going to sand. I would nail it since I prefer the look. It's a personal choice on nails or screws. But yet I would reread the first post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use TRIM head screws, these have a small head like a nail, but are serviceable if required.

What he said.
    or try Camo hidden screw.
    As far as nailing and then punch the nails in if you need to sand, it's not that simple. 20 % or more of the nails will not go in and will bend. Nails will tend to stick out in time and become a tripping hazard. With all the high tech screws available today, nailing belongs in the museum.
    In my opinion only of course. After all there are those who still today top nail decks with a coil gun.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    After all there are those who still today top nail decks with a coil gun.
    If fast process work is more important than quality results perhaps. I've said that as nicely as I can think how to.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What he said.
    or try Camo hidden screw.
    As far as nailing and then punch the nails in if you need to sand, it's not that simple. 20 % or more of the nails will not go in and will bend. Nails will tend to stick out in time and become a tripping hazard. With all the high tech screws available today, nailing belongs in the museum.
    In my opinion only of course. After all there are those who still today top nail decks with a coil gun.
    Agree, we nailed my mates deck a few years ago because that's what he wanted, over the years the Ironbark has randomly pulled the nails up, and there is a fair amount of them with the heads sticking above the surface.

It's got to the time for a sanding of the boards and he tried punching the nails down without much luck (hardwood joists), so he ended up sanding over the nail heads, which means there is swirly marks all over the nail heads, and the timber has not been entirely sanded right around the nail, it looks ok, but not the best.

I would choose screws any day over nailing.