Hire the best Decking Expert

Removing Nails from Loose Floorboards - How to ?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Removing Nails from Loose Floorboards - How to ?

G'day Guys

Hoping that I can get some tips & tricks on how I can remove nails from loose floorboards without lifting the whole board ?

Here is a quick video of my challenge ... the nails are staying put but the floor board is loose.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/193523.../shares/8p6wcH

I am trying to see if I can somehow lift the nails out for replacement ... rather than removing the whole floor board.

Any tips and tricks greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

... the nails are staying put but the floor board is loose.
    I hope so. Very painful to pull them out ...

Ok Ok ... floorboard nails.
    Short answer hard to do without damaging the boards.
    Long answer ... hammer from below using hammer and block, enough for the nails to stick out and slip a nail puller. Protecting the board with some sheet metal ... try. You will likely remove less than half if you are lucky.
    Easier to punch them down carefully with a nail punch same size or smaller diameter than existing nail head.
    Hammer in new nail slightly slideways.
    Keep swear jar handy.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    hammer from below
    Excellent idea ... I'll give that a crack ... thanks Marc !

Looks like timber has shrunk or there is some rot around the nails, hammering from below will most likely lift the board and leave the nails firm in the joist. Give it a try you may be lucky.

As Marc said, punch the existing down a short way, then new nails at an angle right next to the existing holes.

Can you punch them down hard into the joist and use a thicker nail or screws to secure the board down?

This is only a band-aid fix as you're dealing with issues of rot. Start putting money aside for new boards.

1K Club Member

I'd get a small metal tube or socket with the inside diameter bigger than the nail and the outside diameter no bigger than the head of a decking screw and tap it down around the nail so it leaves the head slightly above the the indent. Then I'd grab the nail with the edge of some pincers and pull it out, you could use a scraper blade to put between the pincers and floorboard to lever against without damaging the floorboard. Then screw the board down with decking screws, drill and countersunk floorboards if required. The head of the pinchers can be ground down to get onto the nail head sufficiently, you'd only need to do one edge.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-1...plier_p0126937
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftrig...knife_p5760336

Another way if you don't want to use screws is to push up on the boards from underneath and cut off the nails with a hacksaw like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-3...k-saw_p0191082
    Then remove the cut off pieces of nail from above then use larger diameter nails, preferably zinc coated.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for those ideas, Guys

Unfortunately I am using a longer screw to replace the nail ... so cant use the "bash down further" method.

I just thought of another option ... a drop of superglue on the nail head whilst the board is being forced down, may allow the nail and board to bond just enough to bring the nail up with it when the board is released. If its just a drop, the bond may break easily enough and leave the nail proud when the board is depressed again or over time !

Just a thought ....

Keep those ideas coming ....

Steve

Why would you use screws? Unless you are going to replace all the nails, use the same nails. They are going to last longer than the boards themselves.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

Apprentice (new member)

The underlying issue is that the nail holes in the joists and the holes in the floor boards have widened over time due to exposure & movement .. so I need to go either longer or wider to find good timber to grab in the joist and on the board.

Screws are the best option for this and are working well on the ones I have already replaced. I am not replacing all the nails in the whole verandah .. only the ones with movement.