Hire the best Decking Expert

Sanding Procedure before Spa n Deck

Default Sanding Procedure before Spa n Deck

I have 2 decks, 100 sqm in total, previously coated in some kind of water based/acrylic stain that was fading and flaking in areas. Napisan did nothing to it so knew I had to remove it back to bare timber. Have stripped the coating off successfully using a homemade caustic soda mixture, followed up with a oxalic acid wash to brighten. Is looking quite good but I'm going to hire a standup orbital sanding machine and go over with 80 grit. My question, after the sanding is it good to go, or should I further apply napisan and/or oxalic acid before staining?

2nd question, what a experiences with the best stain applicator? I've used lamb wool pad previously which was ok but have seen the foam pad like this, might be the go? https://www.bunnings.com.au/shur-lin...andle_p1670157

I use the big brush with long handle and a paint roller tray
    https://www.unipro.com.au/products/application/brushes/uni-pro-jumbo-decking-brush/

As for your choice of floor sander, I am afraid that on a deck where the boards are not tongue and groove and therefore not all in the same plane, you will not do well. The sander will leave plenty of unsanded patches and the temptation to go back over and over means you will end up with areas where the radius is gone. And you will notice it.
    i doubt there is an alternative to getting on your knees with a hand held orbital sander.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

1K Club Member

I have to agree with Marc on the sanding. However, IMO it truly depends on how fussy&pedantic you are.When you are finished sanding all you need to do is hose it with fresh water & no chemicals. If you look at the deck and are extremely happy with how wonderful your timber looks then you are ready to coat.If you still see remnants of coating that has to be sanded off . If not sanded it will be seen through the next coating and be very obvious.Personally I always used the Shurline 230 applicator but what is probably more important is not the tool but the person applying, the temperature of the deck & the product used. I applied some 3000 litres of Spa& Deck on some 350 projects

Good luck

Yeah sanding 100sqm on my hands and knees is not going to happen. The deck boards are in excellent condition and very flat and all the nails punched. I'm going to give the sanding machine a go, after the stripping it's looking 99% so only needs a light going over. Yes Jim I do like the Spa n Deck have used it previously. What color do you normally go for? I've bought Jarrah this time but wondering if I should have gone Cedar. Also on bare timber do you think 20L will be enough for 3 coats on 55 sqm of deck?

1K Club Member

Trust your eyes to tell you if your sanding is good enough. You should see no coating once it is wet with just water. Water shows up everything. Personally ,I used Jarrah on nearly every deck except occasionally I used walnut. You didn't mention what species of timber . IMO cedar is way too orange. About the same colour as a carrot. 20 litres for 55 will do it easily with litres to spare.

good luck

Thanks, I'm not sure what species it is, he is a pic, halfway through the stripping process. Any ideas?

20200530_084326.jpg

1K Club Member

I can't tell from the photo what the timber is. Can you measure the width. If it is 86mm wide or 90mm wide that may be of some help

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    I can't tell from the photo what the timber is. Can you measure the width. If it is 86mm wide or 90mm wide that may be of some help
    86mm

1K Club Member

OK as it is 86mm it is extremely likely to be an Australian hardwood. Most overseas imported timber ie merbau/kwila,yellow balau , pacific jarrah is 90 mm. From the photo my best guess is spotted gum Eucalyptus maculata. This is prbably one of the more common timbers used in SE Qld. It could also be a mixture of aussie hardwoods but my hunch is just spotted gum

but my hunch is just spotted gum
    My hunch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    OK as it is 86mm it is extremely likely to be an Australian hardwood. Most overseas imported timber ie merbau/kwila,yellow balau , pacific jarrah is 90 mm. From the photo my best guess is spotted gum Eucalyptus maculata. This is prbably one of the more common timbers used in SE Qld. It could also be a mixture of aussie hardwoods but my hunch is just spotted gum
    Ok thanks, hopefully it will come up well with the Jarah tint. Will post some completed pics soon.

I'm a bit late to the party and I'm not sure if any of you are still active on here, but I'm going to share my experience with something similar. I'm sure you've found protection until now, so I'm not going to comment on that, but personally, I've never found anything for mine that worked as well as I hoped for it to, so I just changed the whole decking. Also bought a nice palm sander, cause previously we just used to borrow from the neighbour, but after reading so many articles on the topic I made sure to have the perfect sander fit for the wood in the deck. That's something to be kept in mind as well.