Hire the best Decking Expert

Screw recommendations

Apprentice (new member)

Default Screw recommendations

Hi everyone, I am seeking advice on screws for my new deck I have be building myself. The deck sits on retaining wall, the joists are 200x50 pine. Plus it is near the ground level and soil is poor quality clay, so I has installed plenty of ag pipe for drainage.

The decking timber I recently purched is 86x19 spotted gum, from the same supplier I purchased screws Bremick 8g type17 50mm 304 stainless steel screws. Are these screws worth keeping and using. or should i return and go elsewhere for a better screw please let me know your thoughts.
    Last edited by diybrissy; 9th Jul 2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add extra details

Bremick screws are fine, I have used them and no trouble, I like Powers screws, use a Smartbit 8G in conjunction with the screws to get a nice fit.

Are these TRIM head screws ? at 8G I assume they are.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the reply I appreciate that. Yes they are Trim head screws Metrix.

I have read 10g: is the recommended size, I am concerned the head might break over time/years or even during there installation. If these are only 8g.

I thought they were 10g at the time of purchase.

I have been using TRIM screws for years, on decks, screens and various other projects, I don't have any more installation problems with them than you have with any stainless decking screw.
    I haven't had any call backs for popped screws, broken screws or the like, personally I like the look of the small screw head, the 10G are too big IMO.

Make sure to use a 8G smartbit to give a neat look, the only thing is the 8g smartbit drill bit is a bit delicate if you are rough with it, you will break the drill bit, they give you spares in the pack anyway.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir