Hire the best Decking Expert

Should I coat Cyprus deck poles - in ground ant protection ?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Should I coat Cyprus deck poles - in ground ant protection ?

Gday people.

I've bought some beautiful Cyprus poles for my new deck . Some mobs reckon they're naturally white ant and borer proof , last as long as hardwoods , but then others say they need protection .

Does anyone know ?

Cheers

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

I wouldn't be putting any timber in the ground. You will need to use stirrips.....if you want it to last that is

Agrees with stevoh, I'd always use concrete piers with galv brackets even with treated poles. I just have to be able to view any pathway pests could use to access my structures.

Apprentice (new member)

Sorry guys , can't agree on that one. Personally I think stirrips look rediculous under beautiful 200ml poles yet hacked down to 90 odd ml at the bottom just to fit stirrips and only to end up standing on 30ml of galv' pipe. what's the point. Sometimes you'll see whole pole houses looking just spectacular - until you see the footings !

Don't forget they're only a modern ideal , poles stood in the ground for a hundreds of years in many cases before that.

Cheers

Pole support brackets come in many sizes and shapes, some use a central blade set into a slot in the pole and bolted through, some are full width... it just takes researching for that which is suitable for the pole size. I have never seen such a bizarre practice as destroying the strength of the pole to fit a wrong sized support. But of course one chooses what seems right structually and visually...

Cypress pine is termite and borer resistant, and it is in-ground durability class 1. similar to red river gum grey gum etc. so it would be perfectly fine for in-ground, concreted in.

Apprentice (new member)

Ahh thanks for that Ken , great stuff.
    Haven't seen that Denaria, I have many times. Up your way actually or there abouts , on the Sunshine coast it's very common. I was beginning to thing they must only make one size !
    As a matter a fact my old house over on the coast was even done like that. Beautiful at least 150ml , more I'd say bit never did measure them, poles and - hacked out to fit at the bottom.
    The salt air there just literally ate away the in ground sections of the stirrips anyway , it just laughed at Galv over there .

Ahwell

Apprentice (new member)

By the way , there was another builder up there that did things very nicely which I haven't seen very often , usually the opposite in fact . But he tapered concreting set at 100ml above ground level around the pole itself off down to ground level around the outside edge of concreting, creating water flow away from the poles. Seems so obvious but not many builders do it .

Cheers

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by mister View Post
    By the way , there was another builder up there that did things very nicely which I haven't seen very often , usually the opposite in fact . But he tapered concreting set at 100ml above ground level around the pole itself off down to ground level around the outside edge of concreting, creating water flow away from the poles. Seems so obvious but not many builders do it .

Cheers
    Well, that should always be done. I think it's in the BCA, and I've certainly seen it on structural plans.

I noticed your location. There's a house for sale on Sunset Strip Jan Juc built around ~200mm dia. treated pine posts into the ground.

What part of the Road are you on? East, middle, west?

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by mister View Post
    Sorry guys , can't agree on that one. Personally I think stirrips look rediculous under beautiful 200ml poles yet hacked down to 90 odd ml at the bottom just to fit stirrips and only to end up standing on 30ml of galv' pipe. what's the point. Sometimes you'll see whole pole houses looking just spectacular - until you see the footings !

Don't forget they're only a modern ideal , poles stood in the ground for a hundreds of years in many cases before that.

Cheers
    Do what you will. 2 yrs ago I used treated pine sleepers (25yr in ground (or something) guarentee?) as a bottom rail for a fence. Pulled them up couple of months ago and the half in ground was gone, rotted to chithouse, and the rest I could push my fingers through. Gal will outlast any timber in ground (if used correctly - yes it is a BSA requirement to slope concrete at base for water runoff) and if you think the sunny coast laughs at gal (I live on sunny coast 4km from water and I can't hear the laughing and all my gal is in tact) then use stainless... The only laughing I hear up this way is the white ants at the guys that place timber straight in the ground!