Hire the best Decking Expert

sleepers as decking

Apprentice (new member)

Default sleepers as decking

Hi All 12 months ago was wondering how to make my deck out of sleepers so it would look good have now finished, so thought I would show you what I have done. Question I will be leaving the wood to age and shrink what is the best way to sand whole deck, I have a belt sander but its only good for small sections is there an industrial sander I can hire that would do the job? feel free to tell me what you think of my work. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg  

7K Club Member

looks pretty good! Just wondering about the gaps you've left - they seem small for the dimensions of your timbers and if you get a lot of rain and they swell they might compete against each other for expansion room... Re the sanding, you can hire a drum floor sander but the size of your deck doesn't really warrant it for that area alone. I'd probably just persevere with the belt sander.

1K Club Member

well done . looks nicely built. I wouldagree that it is too small to hire a large sander for and the timber is in good shape. I could hand sand this deck in 1.5-2 hours max with my hand held random orbital sander. My sanding system has a pretty good dust extraction system. A belt sander won't but you may be able to have someone hold a vacuum hose close to where the dust is gathering.

Good luck

jimj restore-a-deck.com.au

Looks good mate. Agree about the sanding, belt or orby is the go. I would get something on it quickly. Sleepers can be pretty ordinary grade of timber of do some really odd things when shrinking. Get some product into the timber after sanding and in particular the end grain.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi I made the gaps 3mm should have done 5mm they should be allright the photos were taken after it rained the night before and the gaps did close but not completely, will give the belt sander a go. Thanks for the info.

I'd have gone for more like 10mm gaps actually but reckon you'll be fine. We never bothered sanding our sleepers once they came out of the thicknesser...but (like the rest) I'd go for the belt sander with that and enjoy a nice day in the sun with it.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

jmn

Default sleepers as decking

Your deck looks good Renv8. I have also used sleepers as decking boards on our deck at home. I just used a belt sander on our deck. It worked fine. Just some time and effort. Save your money on hiring a sander. I will try and post my deck tomorrow if I get a chance.