Hire the best Decking Expert

small claw foot bath on deck

3K Club Member

Default small claw foot bath on deck

Just bought a little fibreglass clawfoot bath to combat the next week of horrendous weather we're about to have.

It's 1350 long x 540 wide x 400 deep at it's widest points, so a bit less than that in reality. So that makes it 0 .29m3 or less. With two 70ish kg people in it, that's less than 450kg over a bit less than 1m2 area? Something like that? Realistically, probably a fair bit less than that if you half or 2/3 fill it to allow for body mass without spillage.

I'm thinking about putting it on the deck, although that wasn't my first intention but it would be a nice spot to put it and good for some privacy. Wondering what I'd have to do to make that possible. There's a spot were I could put it that sits directly over the posts and bearer (pic).

I used 200x50 cypress pine bearer and spaced the 2 posts at 1500. The joists are at 450, same size/materials and spans 2.9 and cantilever 500mm past the bearer in that spot. There's a verandah over but it's supported by fly over brackets so not attached to deck at that end, only the outer edge. Wondering if putting it over this bearer would be ok, if I put a sheet of flooring or ply or something underneath the bath or would I have to strengthen it all somehow? I can't remember the footing depths. I know I had a few that hit rock and ended up being a little wider and not as deep but I think mostly 450 diameter x at least 450 deep or more.

Aside from that idea which would put it near the house wall, I would prefer to put it further out but then it's all joists beneath, no bearer. That'd definitely need beefing up somehow. Would double joists or some other method to strengthen joists? Please no extra bearer run, It's likely rock under there and real hard to dig footings.

Could just build a spot down in the garden but then that's more work and it'd need screening, etc....

So any ideas, suggestions? What ya rackon? Madness?

Cheers, Su.

edit. just thinking, if I put it further out, there's a post along the edge of the deck half way along the joist span so probably one more post under deck and a bearer could be put in. Not what I want to do but it's an option.

edit. edit.

Just realised, i've bolted that bearer to posts so it's not going to get enough support, only through bolts. Did this cause it's up against a wall and never stand there. Lazy bum I was. Wouldn't do anything like that these days. Hmmm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11012014327.jpg   11012014326.jpg   11012014329.jpg  

My hunch is that it *should* be ok. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put something under the feet to spread the load and stop them indenting the decking boards.

3K Club Member

Yeah. I'm still in two minds. I think, half full, it should be ok. If I do put it over the bearer, I'll probably sit it on two lengths of redgum sleeper that will span three joists, either side of the bearer. That should give me enough room to fit an elbow to the outlet and then run a pipe off to the grass. It's not a permanent thing. Just to combat this weeks heat and any other heatwave me may get.

When you look at an old houses most of their bathrooms had 4x2 joist to hold a cast iron bath [not much change out of 100kg empty] I have even seen 3x2's but with extra's add over the years with no problems. Although their joist sat on top of the bearer and stumps underneath not stirrups and tin plate hanging brackets, If it was my deck I would beef up where the verander post joins with a steel angle bracket underneath and pack between the post and stirrup and make sure the feet of the bath are on or close too a joist, as long as your footings are adequate and the deck boards have Gal nails u should be ok.
    On your first fillup measure any bow in the joist that will be your best indication on how it will go.

God Luck with it.

3K Club Member

+1 for angle bracket where bearer attaches to post. The joists sit on the bearer in that spot (not the outer edge tho) and for that reason it's the best spot to put it. Will go down to the hardware and look at plumbing solutions.