Hire the best Decking Expert

Strip Footing for Shade Sail?

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default Strip Footing for Shade Sail?

    I am in process of building deck in backyard. Deck will have posts that will support deck as well as have shade sail on is. As deck is bigger than 25m2, I am in process of getting drawings done by engineer to submit for approval.

    Engineer came by today for site visit and said if I want to have shade sail, I'll need to have strip footing. I am not sure if I really need strip footing.

    Any one have similar experience?
    Last edited by dharmesh; 16th Apr 2021 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Title change

  2. #2
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Normally for shade sails the posts are buried deep, a previous design I looked at needed a 1200mm deep footing.
    Not sure how a strip footing would help in your case.

  3. #3
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Normally for shade sails the posts are buried deep, a previous design I looked at needed a 1200mm deep footing.
    Not sure how a strip footing would help in your case.
    The same thing my friend said. Strip footing would be 400mm deep. Comparing that to 1000mm deep footing. Not sure why engineer want strip footing.

    In any case, does putting shade sail need council approval? If not then I'll get him draw just deck plans and I'll put long timber posts in deck build.

  4. #4
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,312

    Default

    Check your local councils website, there should be a list of exempt structures that do not require approval.

  5. #5
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Check your local councils website, there should be a list of exempt structures that do not require approval.
    https://www.planningportal.nsw.gov.a...ade-structures

    Found one. Looks like my shade sail dimensions are within exempt standard.

  6. #6
    Je pense, donc METRIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sydney North
    Posts
    9,093

    Default

    Go here for some better info.

    https://www.newcastleshadesails.com....e%20exemptions.

    Strip footing for a shade sail, never heard of that, usually you go down 1000 - 1200 for each post if it's a substantial sail.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

  7. #7
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,407

    Default

    Sail don't need approval ... when they are puny and low and out of sight.
    I believe the engineer will rely on the deck structure for the sail, and therefore wants to make the deck stronger with strip footings.
    How big is the sail?
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  8. #8
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    6,039

    Default

    Is this shade sail attached to house to cover the deck?
    Are the shade sail posts also part of the deck structure?
    EDIT
    A quick sketch of the proposal might help here
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

    Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

  9. #9
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Sail don't need approval ... when they are puny and low and out of sight.
    I believe the engineer will rely on the deck structure for the sail, and therefore wants to make the deck stronger with strip footings.
    How big is the sail?
    Sail is approximately about 4m x 3.5m. Deck will be supported by the Shade Sail posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Is this shade sail attached to house to cover the deck?
    Are the shade sail posts also part of the deck structure?
    EDIT
    A quick sketch of the proposal might help here
    Shade sail and are deck free standing and not attached to house. Sail posts are part of the deck. Deck bearers will use the same post for support.

    Here's the quick sketch of what I need. Small blue squares are the location where I need posts and red area is the size of the deck.

    deck.jpg

  10. #10
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    6,039

    Default

    While I can see why an engineer might recommend a strip footing connecting the four post I also think that the posts should go down at least a metre and deeper is better.
    It's not a big sail but wind forces are large.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

    Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

  11. #11
    7K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    7,573

    Default

    The engineer will be considering uplift and the weight of the strip footing and the deck itself. The depth of stand-alone post holes is required as much for bracing as for uplift, and the deck structure will be providing that bracing in this design. I'd be trusting the engineer here, assuming the deck is not close to the ground

  12. #12
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Thanks guys. We are reconsidering to build just deck and put aside plans for shade sail.

    It's DIY project, so strip footing would be bit too much for myself.

  13. #13
    4K Club Member Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    The engineer will be considering uplift and the weight of the strip footing and the deck itself. The depth of stand-alone post holes is required as much for bracing as for uplift, and the deck structure will be providing that bracing in this design. I'd be trusting the engineer here, assuming the deck is not close to the ground
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

  14. #14
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    6,039

    Default



    Strip footings aren't that hard to do.
    Getting the hole dug by hand tho can take a while in some soils
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

    Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

  15. #15
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post


    Strip footings aren't that hard to do.
    Getting the hole dug by hand tho can take a while in some soils
    The plan is to dig around 6-7 holes and rest of the support for deck will be provided by either tuffblocks or pedestals. That way there's not whole lot of digging. So initial thought was to use the holes for post for shade sail and support for deck both. But now I think I'll just use it to support deck.

Similar Threads

  1. DIY Shade sail posts
    By Moondog55 in forum Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th Nov 2017, 04:15 PM
  2. Shade sail
    By postaddict in forum The Garden Shed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29th Nov 2014, 09:17 AM
  3. shade sail
    By schaf in forum Structural Renovation
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th Aug 2009, 11:44 PM
  4. Shade Sail Posts
    By Terry Lamb in forum Landscaping, Gardening & Outdoors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th Nov 2007, 11:28 PM
  5. Shade Sail Poles
    By Sir Stinkalot in forum Landscaping, Gardening & Outdoors
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 22nd Jul 2005, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •