Hire the best Decking Expert

TnG Decking?

Apprentice (new member)

Default TnG Decking?

I am about 75% through my first reno, and can finally start thinking about the outside! Everything for the veranda is finished except for laying the decking. TnG Jarrah was recommended to me as I may want to close it in later for a large living area (its about 35 square metres). It is covered, but gets blasted by the winter storms. I am concerned this may cause warping and buckling as there would be no proper spacing (3mm?). Is proper decking the only way to go, or will the TnG Jarrah work?

Copied from the "G'DAY Forum"

Old house verada's used to use jarah t&g it was common on federation style houses however the deck was sloped so that water would run off. If the deck is not sloped do not use t&g.
    Regards Dave

T&G is not suitable for an external deck exposed to weather. The timber will deteriorate, and by the time you do decide to enclose it, you may have to relace it anyway. 3mm is also not enough, as it could quickly fill with wind-blown rubbish that would hold moisture, increasing the risk of timber rot. I would recommend 5 or 6mm

3K Club Member

There are under-deck roofing systems out there or you can make your own like I am. This way you can use normal decking boards.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for this. I do have a bit of a slope, but it may be best to close off the side where most of the storms come from as well. There are some ugly units built on that side anyway... The front veranda uses tng, which I think is the original with the house (1920's), so I would prefer to match it. However, after I sanded and restained the front, I did get a nice little bump in one spot once winter came which is making me a bit nervous about the back. Luckily it is going back to normal now that the rains are stopping, so hopefully a extra coat or two prevents this in the future (as well as the timber rot in the spacing as mentioned above).