Hire the best Decking Expert

Waterproofed decking for balcony

Apprentice (new member)

Default Waterproofed decking for balcony

I want to have decking on my balcony. Problem is, it acts as a verandah for the space below.
    It's set on a series of cantilevered posi-struts.

The building department wants something waterproofed, so they are suggesting a shower like arrangement with cement sheeting, waterproof membrane, and tiles.

I like decking. What about if I was to set up a series of box gutters as a kind of false roof, with drainage out the back, then have the deck on top?
    Only prob I see with this is water penetration at the nail hole site, but this would be hardly any. I could always punch and putty. Or even glue the boards down?

Any suggestions? Any links to cross section diagrams or something to give me a clue how to approach this?
    Cheers

Old Chippy 6K

A simple solution that I have used quite few times is to have colorbond roofing attached under the bearers & joists with decking on top. The roofing material is attached at an angle sloping to the front and can have a gutter or the water can simply run off. Or it can be higher in the middle and slope down to either side again with or without gutters. Water runs through the decking is prevented from falling through and is redirected by the roofing. I've even used gal flat iron.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Cheers, do you put plastic or flashing over bearers? Any pics?

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by encino View Post
    Cheers, do you put plastic or flashing over bearers? Any pics?
    Yes good idea to do that. I'll see if I can dig up a pic or a sketch.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

This is what i did for a 6x7 balcony. Bearers were steel. Slung C section between and slightly under. Laid roofing with Aluminum flashing over the top of the bearers.
    joists on top. Laid roofing and then joists on top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0070.jpg   000_0089.jpg   000_0084.jpg  

Apprentice (new member)

Great work! Wish I had that kind of space to play with! Cheers