Hire the best Decking Expert

West Australian Karri?

Novice

Default West Australian Karri?

Hi renovators,

I am building a couple of decks at my place and had decided to go with spotted gum for the decking but then saw Western Australian Karri at the local timber yard for $1.10 less per meter. I have never used Karri and there is little information about it on this forum so I thought I would ask if anyone can give me an idea of how it compares to spotted gum? Both look great but will the Karri last as long or be as hard wearing? Is there a reason it is cheaper?

I am on the NSW south coast and both decks are south facing and under cover. I am pretty set on the spotted gum but wanted to make an informed decision.

thanks,
    Paul.

Spotted Gum is a Class 1 timber above ground, Karri Class 2, both are good for decking.

In an exposed situation, Class 1 has a life of 50+ years, Class 2 30 years, Spotted Gum is classified as Very Hard, Karri Hard.

Karri does not have natural termite resistant of the heartwood, Spotted Gum does.

Default Re: West Australian Karri?

I used feature grade Karri (with all the features epoxy filled) for internal floors previously, which isn't much help with your question. But it is a lovely red coloured timber and stood up to a beating. Not sure about outdoor durability but it would certainly look nice.

Hi Metrix, does Spotted gum really have termite resistance?
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

2K Club Member

Termites LOVE Karri. They follow the cellulose veins and leave the rest. Here in the West it was used a lot for timber roofing framing as the jarrah got harder to source, and being "up the wall" it had a level of removal from termites. My '61 house in Melville had Karri roof framing.
    That said as a deck you will be able keep and eye on that. I like it a lot for colour and workability.
    When you say 1.10 p/m less what's that as a percentage, and how does it impact the total cost of your project?

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    Termites LOVE Karri.
    sure do.
    yum.
    photo-0003-15-.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi Metrix, does Spotted gum really have termite resistance?
    According to AS5604 it does, just checked and it requires to be inside above ground, so outside maybe not.
    But then again it is still a Class 2 timber in contact with the ground (15-25 years) so it has to be fairly durable

Hardness rating
    Average Hardness Rating - Dry: Very Hard

Lyctid Susceptibility of Sapwood
    Susceptible
    (source AS 5604)

Termite Resistance of Heartwood (inside above ground)
    Resistant
    (source AS 5604)

Marine Borer Resistance of Heartwood
    Class 4
    (source AS 5604)

Natural Durability Rating of Heartwood Above Ground
    Class 1
    (source AS 5604)

Natural Durability Rating of Heartwood In-Ground ContactClass 2
    (source AS 5604)

Good news for termite resistance. I am building a small platform on a concrete slab in spotted gum. I wanted to do the joist in treated weed I mean pine, but if spottie is resistant, I think I'll switch. I am a bit sceptical about the marine borer resistance. There has been studies done with marine borers and hardly any timber is resistant to marine borers. Also some teredo worms are worst than others.Hi Paul, it seems it is Spotted gum all the way for you too. It is a very nice timber, you will not regret it.
    Max Planck

Yep, I love working with Spotted Gum, and the coloring is beautiful and no leeching

You could always add a bit more protection to the subframe if your concerned.

woodtreat-20ltf.jpg
    heavy-20oil-20preservative.jpg

Novice

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think spotted gum is the way to go. I think the colour suits the house better too. The irony is I have just spent over $3k having 6 very tall spotted gums removed from the front yard!!
    Will post picks when finished.

Novice

I did go with spotty. Looks great and is good to work with. I did the other deck upstairs with it last week. For anyone's reference the first photos are of two coats of Cutek CD50 with Sela Brown, the chairs are two coats of clear and the last photo is of raw spotted gum. Thanks again for the advice.
    2.jpg1.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by two bricks View Post
    I did go with spotty. Looks great and is good to work with. I did the other deck upstairs with it last week. For anyone's reference the first photos are of two coats of Cutek CD50 with Sela Brown, the chairs are two coats of clear and the last photo is of raw spotted gum. Thanks again for the advice.
    That looks fantastic!! Nice work! We went with merbau for a small landing at the front and i'm considering doing a deck at the back. After seeing spotted gum i'll be going with that next time!

Looks Awesome, I particularly like the way you used different angles for the deck, stairs, roof line adds a lot of interest, looks like the kids agree as well
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Very nice, any details on those roof windows??

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by CraigandKate View Post
    Very nice, any details on those roof windows??
    The windows are Makrolon twinwall polycarbonate. I chose it because I liked the look of it and because we have a lot of surrounding trees dropping leaves and they blow off much easier from the flat surface. It's the discontinued 8mm version, now you can only get 10mm. I used the proper H bar to hold it down through the centre and tucked it under the colorbond around the sides. With no battens I was worried the southerly would flex it out of the H bar but it doesn't move at all. Also with the cold we are having weather it doesn't seem to have any condensation issues which is a nice bonus.
    Thank you all for the comments.

Top job.

As a few people here know, I'm partial to angles and "unusual" when it comes to decks, so two thumbs up from me.

Accident free since yesterday

best deck
    i have seen in a long time, good for you !!
    Max Planck

The windows are Makrolon twinwall polycarbonate. I chose it because I liked the look of it and because we have a lot of surrounding trees dropping leaves and they blow off much easier from the flat surface. It's the discontinued 8mm version, now you can only get 10mm. I used the proper H bar to hold it down through the centre and tucked it under the colorbond around the sides. With no battens I was worried the southerly would flex it out of the H bar but it doesn't move at all. Also with the cold we are having weather it doesn't seem to have any condensation issues which is a nice bonus.
    Thank you all for the comments.
    Great! I will keep that in mind for my deck, any chance you have any install photo's? or pictures from above? I assume it runs all the way down to the gutter?

Novice

I will try and take a pick from above tomorrow. It does run all the way to the gutter. I covered the battens with sarking then with black plastic damp course so that from above it looked black. I bought the Makrolon very cheap from a place in Melbourne. The trade off was that they had to cut the 6m sheets in half to transport it. I planed to overlap them but decided to use the H bar across the middle for looks. As expected it did leak a little, mostly in the corners so behind the plaster on the top half of the lower windows is a strip of pvc edging used as a small gutter to allow any drips to run out through a polypipe drain near the facia. I left it for a few months before plastering to make sure it worked.

Novice

dsc06810s.jpgdsc06814s.jpgThere we go. Hope that helps.

As for the angle, it's 30 deg off the parallel to the house and "looks" towards the opposite rear corner of the yard. We cut the corner off the deck because we didn't think we needed it. Decking is too expensive to not be used. It also has the advantage of bringing the garden in towards the house. The steps do the opposite and bring the deck across the garden to the lawn. I have worked as a labourer on quite a few decks and they are usually standard and rectangular. It was nice to have a little fun with my own and do something a bit different.

Thanks two bricks that's great! Just what I needed to see.

There we go. Hope that helps.

As for the angle, it's 30 deg off the parallel to the house and "looks" towards the opposite rear corner of the yard. We cut the corner off the deck because we didn't think we needed it. Decking is too expensive to not be used. It also has the advantage of bringing the garden in towards the house. The steps do the opposite and bring the deck across the garden to the lawn. I have worked as a labourer on quite a few decks and they are usually standard and rectangular. It was nice to have a little fun with my own and do something a bit different.

Nice ... do you recall what colour / tint that polycarb is? Do you find you get enough light through with the whole roof being solid and the tinted roof windows? I'm thinking of something like this because the West facing pergola that just has light coloured laserlight gets too hot in Summer ... but it's also over the main windows to the livingroom, so I don't want it too dark in Winter ... sigh.

Novice

It's Grey Tint, probably to lightest tint they have. In winter it is a bit too dark it the kitchen for my liking. On the deck itself it is fine but inside is much darker. In February it was not hot under it but it does face south. Also the angle and height may help heat move up and out. I think I would have preferred clear but then again it has yet to see a January.

Thanks. Yeah the balance between the seasons can be a tough choice.