Hire the best Decking Expert

Wrexters Deck Build

Novice

Default Wrexters Deck Build

Hi All,

I would greatly appreciate some advice: as I am soon about to embark on my decking for my landscape project (which i am covering here: WREXTER'S REAR LANDSCAPING JOURNEY).

Total area is about 40sqm, looking at using the following:

I have built a Jarrah deck in the past with my father in law, but it was smaller.

Decking Boards: 20x89mm Jarrah (Picture framed)
    Joists: 90x45 MGP10 Treated Pine
    Bearers: 2 x 90x45

Dimensions & Layout:

Below sketch shows the dimensions & overall layout. The red lines show where there is a wall:

99hngpt.jpg

Sub-Structure Layout:

Bearers are spaced @ 1200 centres but some are @ 1000 centres as shown. Joists are @ 450 Centres max. As the deck is picture framed, i have had to triple up on joists on some sides as the section sketch below will show:
    ure6yta.jpgg7xbkij.jpg w6fmw2g.jpg

A few questions:

1. are the double 90x45 bearers an overkill?
    2. What is the maximum spacing i should run the joists? or is the 450mm spacing optimum?
    3. is the 50mm gap clearance (between bottom of bearer and sand) sufficient? i already have to dig out 4 cubes of sand to bring down levels
    4. should i place anything on top of the sand (Perth) before i start laying boards. i.e. weed mat, blue metal etc.

If anyone has any reccomendations on where i can best source all the timber here in Perth for good prices, i would be very appreciative. Best price i have found so far for 22x90mm Jarrah Decking is from Absolute Timbers, $45 per square meters.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers

Hello and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by wrexter View Post
    1. are the double 90x45 bearers an overkill?

2. What is the maximum spacing i should run the joists? or is the 450mm spacing optimum?

3. is the 50mm gap clearance (between bottom of bearer and sand) sufficient? i already have to dig out 4 cubes of sand to bring down levels

4. should i place anything on top of the sand (Perth) before i start laying boards. i.e. weed mat, blue metal etc.
    1. Not overkill I usually go double 140x45.
    Bigger bearers = greater span = less holes to dig

2. 450mm centers max

3. I would think that's ok for Perth sandy conditions, but others may disagree

4. I wouldn't, but again - others may disagree.

Accident free since yesterday

Novice

Thanks for the reply

Was just reading koppers build thread and looks like as he did I will have to leave a 20mm gap go house for termite inspections. Therefore I can't install wall plates to house .

Novice

I have re-designed the deck structure. as there needs to be a 20mm gap to the house (for termite protection warranty) the deck is now mostly freestanding, except in one spot where it needs to be tied using a wall plate as i am limited by installing another post.

as you can see, to achieve a picture frame, i will need to install 3 x joists on the sides.

from the deck span tables i can see that with the 2 x 90x45 MGP10 bearers, i can install posts @ 1900 ctrs. my posts area spaced at mosly ~1600 ctrs or 1250 ctrs. am i over engineering this, should i go up to under 1900 spacing to reduce posts? would it still be rock solid so to speak?

bearers are spaced @ 1200 ctrs, joists are spaced at 450 max ctrs.

feedback appreciated.

2K Club Member

Try THE TIMBER BLOKE | Timber for any project you have in mind

Used him recently. Boards are all air dried, then KD, then milled to order...

Old Chippy 6K

As I say often close up the spaces for bearers and/or increase sizes and close up spaces on joists too. Costs very little to do so and makes a big difference to the 'feel' of the deck. Minimum standards (e.g.: maximum spans for bearers of a particular size or max 450mm centres for 90x45 joists) are the worst you are allowed to do by law - not the best of even good practice! I know that what people do and if you are trying to make buck then doing what is the minimum can make sense, but if you are building it for your self then building better makes more sense IMO. So PlatypusGardens on using larger bearers (and reduces the number off holes to dig too!) with closer spans and reducing even to 425 centres rather than 450mm will make for a better deck. Just my view of course . . .
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Wait, so you are planning then building.....interesting

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by maxdacat View Post
    haha is that not the norm around here?

Anyways, considering whether to go 90mm or 140mm wide boards, im leaning towards 140mm due to the size of the area but still not sure. i did a layout, but still not 100%, any thoughts?

Also, wanted to get your thoughts on the best way to layout my framework so support the picture frame timber boards:

I have see both methods below and my preference is now option B (right) to reduce length of joist used, thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 90-vs-140.jpg   picture-frame-framework.jpg  

Do you have to have such a complicated perimeter? Doing the picture frame is not going to be much fun.
    140mm wide decking boards must be better than 19mm thick or they will cup.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Global-Warming-Climate-Change-Hoax-ebook/dp/B00JPU8332

Quote Originally Posted by maxdacat View Post

Yeh....where's the fun in that?

2K Club Member

Yeah...could that possibly be where I've been going wrong all these years.

Much easier to build, then make the plans to match. Impress your friends with your new found ability to make, draw and follow plans.

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post

Much easier to build, then make the plans to match. Impress your friends with your new found ability to make, draw and follow plans.

Hahahaha

I just dig a bunch of holes and start concreting stuff in the ground and go "bugger, that should have been over there"

Old Chippy 6K

BTW - if you haven't already list Forum member Blocklayer's site Deck Calculator - Metric
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post

Hei ... that is what I do all the time Only no one to impress really.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Global-Warming-Climate-Change-Hoax-ebook/dp/B00JPU8332

Novice

Unfortunately yes, the deck is fitting around an alfresco, planter boxes, pizza oven stand etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Do you have to have such a complicated perimeter? Doing the picture frame is not going to be much fun.
    140mm wide decking boards must be better than 19mm thick or they will cup.

I'd use a 90 mm border / picture frame and 140 for the rest. I usually use a 90 x 45 joist doubled up and hang the 90 mm border / picture frame over the outside edge 25 - 30 mm then a butt a baseboard up underneath and screw into that.

Novice

Can you please show me a photo of your deck. Would love to see 90mm border with 140 boards

Quote Originally Posted by wrexter View Post
    90mm border with 140 boards
    I did that here http://www.renovateforum.com/f82/tim...ogress-100341/

Ok....not a lot of border.....but I also did the opposite and framed the 90mm boards with 140mm on the seats....

Novice

Bit of an update on this deck, bearers are in!

cfsjkyk.jpg