Hire the best Flooring Expert

Damp clay under piered house

Default Damp clay under piered house

Hello, I live in Canberra and I had my roof painted a month or so ago. I disconnected the water tank and so the water, (in this mad, never-ending rainy weather) went under the house instead on the next day and maybe a few others. Anyhow, it has been a few weeks, not overly warm here yet but today is 22 which is a step in the right direction. Anyhow, I have placed a large floor fan under there and ran it flat out all day for several days to little or no effect. House is built on brick piers and in some places is probably 1500mm from clay to floor and others 600mm so plenty of space under there. It has also started getting that white fluffy mold on top in some small parts, should I remove that? Could be anywhere! Any suggestions? House vents are open/good, old 1960's style ones with 120x70 wide grilles.

Cheers,

Geoff

you'll need the forced ventilation on for weeks to consider drying it out. a simple floor fan isn't going to do much.

you're also far better off "sucking" air out from under the house then trying to blow air in, sucking the air will draw the warmer in and over the whole area, trying to get tons of air FLOW to promote alot of air exchanges, rather then BLOWING the air in and just pressurising the whole area. You'll find almost all sub floor vent systems will have open vents on one side and fans on the other sucking the air from under the house and blowing it outside for this reason
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    you'll need the forced ventilation on for weeks to consider drying it out. a simple floor fan isn't going to do much.

you're also far better off "sucking" air out from under the house then trying to blow air in, sucking the air will draw the warmer in and over the whole area, trying to get tons of air FLOW to promote alot of air exchanges, rather then BLOWING the air in and just pressurising the whole area. You'll find almost all sub floor vent systems will have open vents on one side and fans on the other sucking the air from under the house and blowing it outside for this reason
    Thanks havabeer. Issue still ongoing, more rain and cold weather here in Canberra. Would a dehumidifier work/help from Kennards? Does a dehumidifier suck air from soil? I know it removes moisture from the air? I am between jobs at the so don't have a lot of spare cash for this at the moment.