Hire the best Flooring Expert

Here is the dilemma! restump and crack the lot or live with it! Help

Apprentice (new member)

Default Here is the dilemma! restump and crack the lot or live with it! Help

Hi all,

The dilema is:

We just bought a house and want to do some renovations...but then there is the floors......

• House is about 70 years old in Newport Melbourne.so the stumps should be on the way out...but:
    • The floors are not wobbly AT ALL, anywhere, in fact the floor feels like on a rock base. and the timber floorboards are just beautiful as they stand.
    • Walls are perfect, not cracked, all doors open and close nicely. and the house have been made all pretty for the sale.
    • acces to the subfloor will be hard and difficult (hardly any access at the moment if any)
    The issue is:

even though the floor feels like a rock....

Mainly the front room and a back extension have quite noticably sank on the edges of the room so the centre of the room is higher and the perimeter is lower.

We can live with that, not planning to move out in say 7 years, it doesn't bother us majorly, as I said it does not move at all.

Now we have a if decision to make!!

We want to install wallpaper,(on an internal wall of the house) and do a bathroom renovation, tiling mainly.

questions!
    1. Am I being a fool by not wanting to restump then pay double the price when everything cracks
    2. can i restump just those two rooms front and back and will that crack the rest of the house?
    3. is there a way out of this!!!!!
    4. I don t want to spend 7 K on stumps!!!! and the house feels solid as!
    Thank you thank you thank you!

You could leave the stumps and play with the subfloor structure, like packing and wedging bearers and joists. Very difficult without access though. Have you had an engineer look at the existing stumps ? What did your building inspection report say about them ?

Get someone out to assess the condition of the stumps, only stumps in poor condition need to be replaced.
    If you are lucky only the perimeter stumps will need replacing.

I would not put all the effort into renovating if you dont fix the subfloor first.

Regards Dave

Apprentice (new member)

the building inspector said thatis OK as long as I could live with the sloping away from the chimney.

I am having a restumper having it checked

7K Club Member

If the stumps are wood, I'd restump. If you are OK leaving the sloping floors you could forget leveling, which is the main cause of cracking. I restumped without leveling as I had very little out of whack and little internal damage due to restumping - a few hairlines to 2mm and we were renovating anyway. Highly recommend Armstrong's Reblocking in Geelong.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi

want to keep my eye on this thread as it sounds very similar to the 85 year old house we may be about to buy...

cheers