Hire the best Flooring Expert

House needs re-stumping. What to look out for?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4

    Default House needs re-stumping. What to look out for?

    Hi All,

    We are about to move into our first home (a free-standing Victorian cottage). During the B&P inspection our builder advised re-stumping was required (this was plain to see due to how wonky the floors are). He recommended a re-stumping contractor who came out and gave us a quote (which seems reasonable).

    Having never done anything like this before, my question is what I should be looking out for. Any pitfalls you could help me avoid? Does the above seem reasonable or should we be getting an engineer, etc. involved prior to going ahead with the re-stumping?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    M

  2. #2
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Restumping should be a simple like for like replacement unless you are also making significant structural changes, an engineer should not be required.

    Without knowing the quote no-one will be able to comment if it is reasonable or not.
    Adding your suburb would help as location can make a significant difference based on soil condition, you could PM Optimus on here as he is in that business.

  3. #3
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    6,206

    Default

    Ask around and get at least two more quotes and perhaps you could also ask the council building inspectors if they have ever had any problems with the firms that you get the quotes from.

    If it has been there for over a hundred years the subfloor area will probably be full of old dirt, rat dropping and dead cats [ ours was and it is only 60 years old] and it could be well worth your while to have the area scraped clean. I wish we had paid extra for the skip and labour to do so.
    You may want to investigate adding some extra height too, we could have as it was offered at the time Restumper said he could go up another 150mm for a small extra charge to cover the slightly more expensive stump, [a dollar a stump if I remember rightly] and we would up demolishing the chimney afterwards
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

    Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

  4. #4
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks so much guys, this is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for!

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post

    Without knowing the quote no-one will be able to comment if it is reasonable or not.
    I was really just looking for general advice, however if you are happy to comment the quote was around 10k for a 3br house (with rubbish removal). Melbourne inner N/E.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post

    Ask around and get at least two more quotes and perhaps you could also ask the council building inspectors if they have ever had any problems with the firms that you get the quotes from.

    If it has been there for over a hundred years the subfloor area will probably be full of old dirt, rat dropping and dead cats [ ours was and it is only 60 years old] and it could be well worth your while to have the area scraped clean. I wish we had paid extra for the skip and labour to do so.
    You may want to investigate adding some extra height too, we could have as it was offered at the time Restumper said he could go up another 150mm for a small extra charge to cover the slightly more expensive stump, [a dollar a stump if I remember rightly] and we would up demolishing the chimney afterwards
    Thanks Moondog55, this is really good advice (especially regarding the council building inspector).

    - I have been quoted for skip/rubbish removal so I will definitely take this option.
    - The house is VERY low sitting. The restumper has said he could get me 50mm, but the more the better. I will talk to some other restumpers when I get additional quotes.

    Thanks again mate, much appreciated.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Can I suggest that, whoever you choose, you should do some checking of the depth of the holes prior to the new stumps going in (especially in the hard to get to areas) as a shonky restumper will not go to the correct depths and most inspectors are not going to crawl under the house to check. Our house has ample room underneath (can stand up under a substantial portion) but the inspector's visit consisted of asking the contractor whether the holes were the correct depth which he, of course, answered in the affirmative. I'd checked myself the evening before so I was satisfied but the inspection was not worth twopence.

  6. #6
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    10k sounds a good starting point but all depends on the total number of stumps.
    When I got quotes on our current house which was 3 bedroom at the time the initial quotes were north of 20k. There were extra stumps due to the construction but it was still way up there and not just one company, location and demand play a big part of it.

  7. #7
    3K Club Member johnc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sale
    Age
    66
    Posts
    3,931

    Default

    Make sure the stumper is leaving the place level. Some just wack in a stump and the floor looks like a rolling landscape. Currently dealing with a house with exactly that problem. Worst part is they have put new floorboards on top of the uneven joists

  8. #8
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesrule View Post
    Can I suggest that, whoever you choose, you should do some checking of the depth of the holes prior to the new stumps going in (especially in the hard to get to areas) as a shonky restumper will not go to the correct depths and most inspectors are not going to crawl under the house to check. Our house has ample room underneath (can stand up under a substantial portion) but the inspector's visit consisted of asking the contractor whether the holes were the correct depth which he, of course, answered in the affirmative. I'd checked myself the evening before so I was satisfied but the inspection was not worth twopence.
    Thanks Bluesrule. Our quote states 600mm deep holes. Is there a requirement I should be checking this against (aus standard etc.)?

    With respect to an inspector, did you hire a 3rd party to inspect? Or was this a council inspector?

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    10k sounds a good starting point but all depends on the total number of stumps.
    When I got quotes on our current house which was 3 bedroom at the time the initial quotes were north of 20k. There were extra stumps due to the construction but it was still way up there and not just one company, location and demand play a big part of it.
    Our place is quite small (115sqm). Quote has a line item for 20 extra stumps. Location wise we are quite close to the river/wetlands, the soil is quite damp.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnc View Post
    Make sure the stumper is leaving the place level. Some just wack in a stump and the floor looks like a rolling landscape. Currently dealing with a house with exactly that problem. Worst part is they have put new floorboards on top of the uneven joists
    Thanks mate, good tip. Our current quote has a line item for levelling and specifies levelling will be done by computer (whatever that means)?


    I cant thank you guys enough for your input. Feels like a big undertaking on the bigest purchase of my life!

  9. #9
    Golden Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    778

    Default

    10k seems very cheap if it's the whole house...

    Make sure they are including the permit fee ($1,000)

    Unfortunately there are some dodgy restumpers out there and we sometimes get a bad rap (see comments in this thread) but please don't paint us all with the same brush.

    Don't stress there are some good ones out there and we walk and talk you through everything, it isn't as stressful a process as some people make out.

    Some reason alot of restumpers put "computer levelling" on their quotes, they're trying to sound fancy.

    They will be simply using a nivcomp digital water level.

    If you need any questions answered, feel free to ask away.

  10. #10
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxH View Post
    Thanks Bluesrule. Our quote states 600mm deep holes. Is there a requirement I should be checking this against (aus standard etc.)?

    With respect to an inspector, did you hire a 3rd party to inspect? Or was this a council inspector?



    Our place is quite small (115sqm). Quote has a line item for 20 extra stumps. Location wise we are quite close to the river/wetlands, the soil is quite damp.



    Thanks mate, good tip. Our current quote has a line item for levelling and specifies levelling will be done by computer (whatever that means)?


    I cant thank you guys enough for your input. Feels like a big undertaking on the bigest purchase of my life!
    Does the quote specify 20 stumps ? or 20 extra stumps (note sure I understand if it states 20 extra)

    20 stumps does not sound right for a whole house, ours was over 100 stumps but there was extra due to the construction.
    That would be an average of $500 per stump, very high cost per stump but we dont know the conditions.

    If its $10K for 20 stumps then get some more quotes.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th Oct 2015, 08:25 PM
  2. Re-stumping
    By layla in forum Sub Flooring
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st Jul 2011, 09:14 PM
  3. Re-stumping. Patio pulling house down the hill
    By Castaway in forum Structural Renovation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th Jun 2010, 05:49 PM
  4. Re-stumping
    By Phearless in forum Sub Flooring
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th Jun 2008, 07:44 PM
  5. Re-stumping
    By banditnlouie in forum Sub Flooring
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27th Apr 2005, 05:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •