Hire the best Flooring Expert

How to clear access for stump inspection

Apprentice (new member)

Default How to clear access for stump inspection

Just bought a small house on stumps in Brisbane (exciting!), and now catching it up on much needed maintenance (less exciting). It's old ( pre 1920 as far as we know, with various extensions), and acts like it

Anyway, looking to get someone* in to check out the stumps properly and see what needs doing - we've got the classic signs of stump problems, but don't know if its old or current damage. Ultimately we're hoping to raise the place up in 10-15 years, but would prefer that it stays standing in the meantime.

Issue is that those stumps are very low, the block seems to be build up with dirt everywhere around the house. In some of places the ant cap is very, very close to the ground (suprisingly, its not actually riddled with termites!). Its a mix of timber and concrete stumps, and one extension is on a slab. There is a void (up to 30cm) under the stumped part and you can see sunlight from one side to another, but I don't think anyone is going to want to go belly crawling underneath.

So what can I do to enable access for this inspection? Our building and pest inspection was kinda cursory because they simply couildn't get close enough (which was entirely fair). Since then we've got as far as clearing the plants and dog-fencing and birdbaths and pavers and astroturf and detretius away from the house (was a fun weekend with a skip). Anywah, ought I get in there with a shovel between the stumps? Bit scared to get to close to the stumps themselves, but should I be clearing around those too?

an anyone point me to photo resources?

* Side question - but looks like I'd have to contact a restumping company for this and ask explicitly for an assessment rather than a quote? Or what sort of mob should I be looking for? Thanks!

3K Club Member

300 is not much room to restump so I would assume any stumper would talk to you about removing flooring but you would have to justify doing that
    i.e is it really necessary to do anything at the moment because any money you throw at it now will most likely be wasted, so unless it is causing you untold problems I would probably live with it and maybe bring forward the raising.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    i.e is it really necessary to do anything at the moment because any money you throw at it now will most likely be wasted, so unless it is causing you untold problems I would probably live with it and maybe bring forward the raising.
    Yeah fingers crossed the current stumps can last another 10 years or so! Quite willing to live in slopetown. Just due dilligence that its not going to bite us before then, the place has been a little neglected maintenance wise.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Cyclic, that's the hope - the stumps we have will hold out for a few more years. Just due dilligence at this stage.

7K Club Member

I found restumpers are a different breed and have no qualms in getting under there, and stay there all day! That was the case at our very low place, anyway, but I guess VIC has a lot more low houses to practice on

Given you have further plans in the future, I'd suggest you only need to have the wooden stumps assessed