Hire the best Flooring Expert

Jacking and packing stumps

Apprentice (new member)

Default Jacking and packing stumps

Hi...
    apologies in adavance if this has been asked before... I couldnt find this exact question anywhere...
    I have a weatherboard house, tin roof, on concrete stumps. The house is multi-level; there are four levels in total.
    I am looking to level the floor and remove some bounce.
    I have used a laser level and measured from top of bearer to datuum on stump. only done this for one of the house levels so far (25 stumps). Most are pretty close (within a few mm) with a few being up to 12 mm out.
    So i am getting togteher a coupple of bottle jacks and some cement sheeting for the jack and pack process, but... how do I deal with the wire that connects the stump to the bearer when I jack up the bearer...?? Should I try to bend the wire straight to allow the bearer to move upwards independantly of the stump? ; if so how is this best done (especially given space constraints).

And while Im here... is concrete sheeting ok or am I better to just get some of these: https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-8...-pack_p0343191

any help appreciated!

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Torres View Post
    And while Im here... is concrete sheeting ok or am I better to just get some of these: https://www.bunnings.com.au/macsim-8...-pack_p0343191

any help appreciated!
    I used some Macsim Stump packers last week at the start of my jack n pack adventure and can verify they last at least 5 days. I also used some 6mm villaboard which also hasn’t failed yet. I bought a mix of 2mm and 3mm packers so I can slide them in in small increments while jacking so there is less distance to fall if the jack slips or tips (happened a couple of times). It might also work out cheaper to buy the sized packs instead of a mixed bucket. The my biggest total lift so far is 12mm after pushing out an old asbestos shim.

Check the some earlier posts in the subfloor forum and posts by Optimus in particular.

Also, perhaps upload a photo of the retaining wire so people can see what the issue is.

FWIW I bought a 20 Tonne Kincrome bottle jack from Total Tools for $129 as I wasn’t confident the two 6T jacks I got from Repco a couple of years ago would have enough grunt. The 20 tonner has no trouble at all.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/133490...le-jack-k12159

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks alot lovemerender.
    The picture below (I stole from the internet - its not my place) is basically the setup I am dealing with. The rod (called it wire in my orignial post but its more like rebar rod) goes through the bearer and bends over the bearer to fix it to the stump....
    I figure I either have to cut it and /or bend it straight so the bearer can slide up the wire when I jack up the bearer.... Unless there are any other suggestions out there...??

Golden Member

Bend the ones that are in the middle of the rooms (some will need to be cut with a recip if they're under a joist)

You can just cut the ones under the walls..

Reason is the ones in the middle of the rooms will need to be bent back over to avoid a bounce in the floor.

The wall ones will obviously have the weight of the walls on them.

Golden Member

Buy some plastic horseshoe packers, they come in 1mm, 3mm,5mm 10mm and 20mm.

We use 7 tonne masada bottle jacks, preferably set up the whole house if it's a decent lift so you don't destroy the plaster/tiles etc.. average 3 bed 2 bath weatherboard would take approx 60 jacks.

Also don't take your levels off the stumps, take them off the flooring.

4K Club Member

Just a note on using jacks from my own small experience lifting a few bearers here.
    Depending on the ground you need a really good jack base. I now have several made from various bits and pieces. I bought the cheap Repco 4t/6T jacks and used them in pairs but bigger would have been much better
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.