Hire the best Flooring Expert and save up to 40%

more sunlight in subfloor

Default more sunlight in subfloor

hi everyone,

so I have a few issues in my garage work shop. I extended under our split level house to make more room for a workshop.

The issue is we also use under the house as storage and we're getting mould on alot of things. So I intend on putting some of the CSR/Edmunds eco fans in to help make sure there is some decent air flow under there, I also intend on using these fans as fine dust extraction after i've finished woodworking. a pic below is the layout of the area and how I intend to install the fans. It no longer gets water under the house after I did a heap of waterproofing and ag drain installs but it still a cool, dark and dampish area. The fences are also only 980mm off from the house so I don't think I get a really good cross breeze either.

something else i'd like and think would help is trying to get some extra sunlight in there but I'm a little stumped on how to do it other then install windows.

I wasn't sure if there was something like the "solar tube" sky lights that help scatter sunlight I might be able to install or if I would have to go glass bricks.

any ideas?

Red area is my main work shop bit

Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

2K Club Member

Is that an unvented dryer? When it’s used, it may be adding to the humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by joynz View Post
    Is that an unvented dryer? When it’s used, it may be adding to the humidity.
    yep its unvented. i really didn't think about it adding to the humidity of the area (to be honest i just thought hot air coming out the exhaust)

step 1. vent the dryer

If it is too much work to vent it, you can change it for a heat pump one. I bought one at Aldi just because my od Simpson died and the aldi one was relatively cheap, only to find out it did not need venting, only a small tube to drain the water. It also saves the planet using less electricity
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect
    Mark Twain

If you use the car fans as dust extraction they will be stuffed in notime.
    Dust extraction fans require pre filters,to save the motor and bearings getting stuffed.

If you want dust extraction get yourself a cheaper unit suited to the job, check out timbecon.
    I built a portable cyclonic system, it works really well, filters out 99.9% of the dust into the hopper before it gets to the vac so the vac stays perfectly clean
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    If you use the car fans as dust extraction they will be stuffed in notime.
    Dust extraction fans require pre filters,to save the motor and bearings getting stuffed.

If you want dust extraction get yourself a cheaper unit suited to the job, check out timbecon.
    I built a portable cyclonic system, it works really well, filters out 99.9% of the dust into the hopper before it gets to the vac so the vac stays perfectly clean
    the topic of cyclones is often brought up over on the woodwork forums. while they do help a bit in seperating out larger chips etc, they severely reduce a vacuum or dust extractors ability to shift air.

the reason you want to shift a heap of air is to pick up the fine dust, this is the stuff that actually causes you grief. A bit of shaving that falls straight to the ground and that you can see isn't going to get lodged in your lunges, but the ultra fine stuff floating in the air will get stuck in there. The only way to try and get this fine dust is by moving bulk lots of air which is why you want a really high CFM or m3/hr dust extractor (these ratings are normally BS as well, realistically you should half the factory quoted amount to get even close to the actual amount of air moved).

so really to have a cyclone that works effectively and move bulk air you need a large impellor fan to move the air and thats something a shop vac can't do. they can pull a good amount of suctions as they only need to move a small amount of air to do so. I actually have a 15amp laguna cflux as my dust extractor that I hook up to my wood working machines. But also hoping to use these fans to clear out some of the super fine stuff floating around.

but that was a bit of a tangent

In the end I bought 4 of Edmunds fans and installed them over the last couple of days. I ended up installing all 4 on entry side wall. purely for convenience (far less complicated for the eleco to install the 4 power points). so all 4 are drawing air from under the house and exhausting it out side. it does actually make a difference. while purely anecdotal with the 4 fans off and standing next to the passive vents on the opposite side you can barely feel any air flow, with all fans on max and standing at the same spot you can feel a decent rush of air moving past. actually used a recipro blade to help cut the bricks out... ALOT less dusty then using a grinder and ALOT neater then a drill and chisel.

now its just a bit of a play around to see how they perform.

20210430-212034.jpg

20210430-212058.jpg