Hire the best Flooring Expert

Replacing rotting stumps/posts

Apprentice (new member)

Default Replacing rotting stumps/posts

Hi

I have some rotting stumps/posts in the back of the home. The reason they have rotted is that they are exposed to water, termite etc and there's nothing covering those timber. Water drain underneath and the timber is exposed. The surface is concrete/concrete slab, so I was thinking of getting an adjustable steel house stumps:
    https://www.levelmaster.com.au/wp-co...-July-2018.pdf

I am based in Sydney. I have a carpentry (apprenticeship) background, but was thinking of getting exterior help if needed.

There's are some section that have sand surface, so I will probably just use a concrete slab.
    img_1348.jpgimg_1332.jpgimg_1333.jpgimg_1336.jpgimg_1334.jpgimg_1335.jpgimg_1343.jpgimg_1344.jpgimg_1346.jpgimg_1347.jpgimg_1329.jpg

I would probably hire some jacks and jack up each one and knock out the existing timber (they will come out quite easily).

Any tips/suggestions?

Apprentice (new member)

Spoke to a friend. Due to the 90mm x 45mm requirement for the top of the stomp, my mate (in construction) said it's better to get like a H3/H4 timber, cut it to size to match the top bit and then put in a full stirrup anchor post at least 100mm high.

https://pryda.com.au/wp-content/uplo...chor-Guide.pdf

Golden Member

If I was going to replace the stumps, or part of the stumps, I would think it wise to use a laser level on the existing house structure to see where the low sections were. Even if you only replaced a few stumps at a time you could get the old place reasonably level.

are the stumps really rotted? they just look a bit cracked. are they hollow sounding and flakey if you dig a flat head screw driver into them.

either way i would talk to a restumper if you want them fixed.

those bearers look like they've had more then half of the material notched out of them as well which doesn't look good
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

I know very little about re-stumping but I would suggest that you will need a building permit even if you are just replacing like for like (at least that is the case in Victoria).

I would also suggest that havabeer is right about those bearers. I would suggest that whatever you do should somehow ensure that those bearers are properly supported as they are notched so significantly that they would not be able to support much at all in their present state.

Regarding the state of the stumps. You state that there are termites among other things. Given the lack of any visible ant caps there is definitely a need to confirm whether or not the house has termite damage as that will easily outweigh any need for replacing the stumps and the cost could be very substantial if there is any termite damage. I wouldn't be all that concerned with the lengthwise cracks in a stump but moreso with the state of the stump below ground level as that is where the stump will rot. The timber above ground will last 'forever' but in ground timber will rot below ground level.

7K Club Member

I agree the damage to be concerned about is below the surface, it's worst from 2 to 6 inches down in my experience, so not hard to check for.

BTW ant caps don't stop ants, they just make them visible on inspection