Hire the best Flooring Expert

Restumping - concrete or steel posts?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Restumping - concrete or steel posts?

Hi all, I have a small house that needs some stumps replaced. At the moment they are all concrete. It would appear that some have been replaced before I bought the house 12 years ago as are stamped CC, where as the ones needing replacing now were probably built on site in the 60's when the house was relocated here.
    I was going to go with concrete for the few external ones, but going for steel for the interior as going to do a bit of digging out to give us a bit more storage room underneath for our trailer and room for the dogs to get under cover. Is this wise or should I stick with concrete? I have seen that there are different types of steel columns, with some not lasting more than 10 years. Any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

No member

You can have the stumpers run steel I-channel along your bearers which will support greater load than the timber. Then you can actually eliminate many of the interior stumps.

I would personally re-stump my house in steel- I think it looks better than concrete. You can get the posts hot-dip galvanised for longer life. Some people use timber stumps for the external ones too and on some houses this looks great but really depends on the house. A lift doesn't cost that much more than just a re-stump- if you're planning to live in the place into the future I would really consider raising it now so that you don't spend the money twice. Of course, if it's only a few stumps that need replacing then weigh up that option too.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks A, yeah thought long and hard about doing the raising thing. If it was a simple lift it would be a no brainer, but as the laundry is built off the side on another level it would have to be demolished and rebuilt. The laundry also happens to have the new gas hot water system on it. Also want to slide the house to the left and back boundary so we can add a new room and deck. Only need to replace 7 stumps (3 exterior and 4 interior) but may do a few more in steel make them consistent in the section being worked on underneath.

No member

If you're just re-stumping part of the house then match it in with the existing. I thought you were restumping the whole thing!

I recommend that you address the water getting underneath the house. It's the cause of several problems including the premature spalling of concrete stumps and the drying/wetting cycling of the soil will cause continuing and uneven settlement of your footings.
    Personally I'd go the galvanised steel post option, much easier to handle.