Hire the best Builders

Fixing treads to ply stringers?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Fixing treads to ply stringers?

I build this small stair case 6 treads using 16mm ply cut stringers. Primarily because a sheet of ply costs about $60 and it was the cheapest way I could build a structural stair. Also I didnt want to use MDF and didn't want to buy wide timer for a cut stinger, only to have it hidden under a stair.

The stairs are 900mm wide and so the stingers are spaced 300mm apart as per the photo, there are 4 of them.

I have covered them in MDF so I can use them, now I want to know how best to finish them. MDF is screwed direct into stingers. I am thinking of useing an MDF riser painted white and timber treads, rise 178mm run is 250mm.

I want to fix the treads from underneath so as not to see the screw/nail holes.

Could you advise me on the following,

A) if I should pull the MDF up and fix timber to the cut stringers using a metal angle or similar.
    B) just glue some timber direct onto the mdf.
    C) where I can source 285mm treads or do I just buy smaller width timber and but them together.

Also I am trying to match an existing stair, how can I tell if the existing stair is meranti or tasi oak? they look similar to me.

photos of new stair attached.

thanks

andrewpicture-001.jpgpicture-002.jpg

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.lisser View Post
    I build this small stair case 6 treads using 16mm ply cut stringers. Primarily because a sheet of ply costs about $60 and it was the cheapest way I could build a structural stair. Also I didnt want to use MDF and didn't want to buy wide timer for a cut stinger, only to have it hidden under a stair.

The stairs are 900mm wide and so the stingers are spaced 300mm apart as per the photo, there are 4 of them.

I have covered them in MDF so I can use them, now I want to know how best to finish them. MDF is screwed direct into stingers. I am thinking of useing an MDF riser painted white and timber treads, rise 178mm run is 250mm.

I want to fix the treads from underneath so as not to see the screw/nail holes.

Could you advise me on the following,

A) if I should pull the MDF up and fix timber to the cut stringers using a metal angle or similar.
    B) just glue some timber direct onto the mdf.
    C) where I can source 285mm treads or do I just buy smaller width timber and but them together.

Also I am trying to match an existing stair, how can I tell if the existing stair is meranti or tasi oak? they look similar to me.

photos of new stair attached.

thanks

andrew
    nice job on the stringers but 16mm ply is not strong enough you need use at least 45mm thick LVL or timber.

to get a nice job you can cladd the stringers with 19mm ply then trowel glue your treads on with flooring glue.

you can buy 285mm wide timber from timber yards,

Apprentice (new member)

I know the 16 mm ply is probably non standard, but I have used 4 stringers for a 900mm wide stair, and I have allowed 150mm from the corner of the tread riser to the edge of the stringer. The stringers are about 1800 long , only 6 steps, 1200mm rise and 1500 run. To use timber I would need 300mm wide timbers and it seems a shame to cut it.

But I can stiffen it up with some 50x100 screwed to the ply, but it feels solid enough. I'll get my father to bounce up and down and I'll measure the deflection .

thanks so thats 1 vote for glueing.

4K Club Member

there is a standard for stair construction somewheres about.
    regards inter