Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Bunnings Flatpak Kitchens!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Apprentice (new member)

Default Bunnings Flatpak Kitchens!

Hi There,

I'm new to the forum... and even newer to renovating! I've bought a property that needs work - and even though I'm excited to do it... its a little overwhelming. I've been looking at kitchen ideas and I can't go past the bunnings designs.
    I was just wondering if anyone could share some stories or much needed advice!

Thanks... Struggling!!

Flaccid Member - 1k Club Member

I wouldnt touch one from there, but thats just my opinion

Bunnings or Ikea - I did Ikea and it was really easy. You're basically assembling 'carcasses', and there's not a lot to it. Hmm, from memory:
    - a 90 deg bench is best done with a 'hockey stick' cut - a 45 deg cut on the inside, then straight. This is for 'nosed' benchtops.
    - you need a means to fix the benchtop to the wall. Nothing serious, but it'll depend on whether you're into bricks or clad building.
    - soft close is about 4 bucks a door - get it!
    - start with good measurements of the kitchen, don't move any plumbing if you can help it, and you'll find it's quite easy. The design is the hard bit, especially if you do it right. Building is easy, unless your design is wrong.

I don't see how a custom cabinet maker could vary that much from Bunnings or Ikea, except making something non standard. If you have a dishwasher and an oven, you'll be able to design in some 'slack' and simply trim your benchtops as the custom bit.

G'day,

Go to a Cabinet Maker and get a price ex-factory to compare prices. You can still install yourself but much more will be done for you, like, cabinets knocked up and doors/drawers installed, benchtop joins done. That last bit is a big hassle to get done by you, a postformer will charge 3-4 times what a cabinet maker can get it for to cover the cost of making a mistake. Unless you have access to some pro tools and patience you'll struggle to get a good result DIY.

The other thing is you need to put a value on your time, if it takes you 40 hours to put it all together than another 16 to install, all that at $40 is $2200 of your time gone, so add that to your Bunnings price. Not many people can go without a kitchen for over a week.

Also don't discount the value of 1 or 2 custom cabinets in your job, having a 140mm fill panel because you couldn't fit the next size cabinet in will always look odd, you won't pay any extra for this sort of thing from a cabinet maker.

I'd measure the space myself & take that to a kitchen manufacturer for a quote, you will get some custom cabinets & good ideas and suggestions from them, if you shop around I dont think the price would be too shocking. If you are happy with one quote get them out to check measure before proceeding.

I have installed the bunnies cabinets as laundry cabinets, which I think they are perfect for....nothing fancy, but functional.

Cabinetmaker

what they said.

The Flatpax are pretty ordinary in quality, they are vinyl wrap, chinese imports. I would PM ARMS and see what he can do for you if your determined to do a flatpack kitchen.

The Board used by local cabinetmakers is to Australian Standard, unlike the cheap chinese imported weetbix board.

G

I
    find us on facebook - Pitman Cabinetmaking
    follow us on Instagram - PITMAN_CABINETMAKING

Apprentice (new member)

Wow... thanks so much for the advice and guidance!! Ill get stuck into some of the recommendations and let you know as I go!!

I've been comparing stratco, bunnings and ikea and my biggest concern was long lasting use.

Thanks so much!

Mile end bunnings has the most kitchen displays set up

and if you check out woodville they have a folder at the kitchens counter that they keep with before and afters of the kitchens i install for them so people can see some different layouts, colours and benchtops etc

good luck

eden

After just finishing a kitchen laundry Reno in an 1980's house I would never buy a flat pack kitchen.

I chose a local cabinetmaker to fabricate mine file the following reasons.

My house does not have a square room in it. 20-25mm off in diagonals in a good room.

The basic price was very close. Less than 2000. Including their install and removal cost. I added in a few niceties like an appliance roller cupboard, soft close doors and drawers. Ceiling splashback over 900 gas free stander. bin cupboards etc.

The flexibility to make a set of pot drawers 65mm wider if needed to span an odd gap.

The finish is within half mm. Everywhere. Could not fault a join anywhere in my wonky house.

I watched two trade cabinet makers spend 2 full days putting only the base cabinets in. Spending hours scribing, planning and reinstalling the few units. All this to get it perfect.

I was home for the whole event organising cabinetmakers, sparkies and plumbers to share 2 rooms of the house with power outages and water pipes everywhere.

So for me the experience was very rewarding. So my custom kitchen cost 12k installed by cabinetmakers versus 9k from bunnings. Is it worth the extra 3k?

Hell yes.

My time is valuable. Earning 3k a week myself I think it would have taken me at least a week in work hours to get a bunnings kitchen installed to a DIY standard not a PRO finish.

I am still waiting for my splashback to be installed (laminex sent wrong colour) Cabinets finished Monday just gone. When it's complete I will post before and after and see for yourself what a difference it can make.

My 2c

Damo.

Green shed is cheap for a reason....

Apprentice (new member)

I would definitely, definitely stay away from these large volume, mostly imported flat pack cabinets. Honestly, you just get so much more from your local manufacturer and will not necessarily pay any more money, particularly if you want a flat pack. The quality of the Board, Edging, Hinges, Runners, etc... you can do a lot better with an Australian made product. And not to mention (well someone already has the ugly wide infills you will most likely have to put up with due to rigid modular sizes instead of having your cabinets custom made for you.

I'm one of the owners of Kitchenart and while we'd love to help you out, I see that you're based in Adelaide and for the time being we only service our NSW customers. BUT, please, please do yourself a favour and at least explore the possibility of having your kitchen (flat pack or not) custom made for you by a local manufacturer. I think you will be pleasantly surprised when all the costs are tallied up and the quality from a good local manufacturer is simply at a different level to the likes of those giants

I don't have any experience with flatpacks, i got my kitchen build and installed by a cabinet maker, cost 12k for the cabinets installed including soft close and quality drawer hardware, glass doors, lighting etc. For that sort of price, you wouldn't bother wasting a week with a flat pack installing it, save money elsewhere. There is a fair amount of custom work involved in the install as well. Cabinets had to be pulled apart and ripped down, due to the walls not being square etc. Here is a picture of it

Attachment 88462

Oh oh, it's the 'ol invalid attachment again. Watson will be mad...

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Here 'tis, I hope!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen.jpg  
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

You'd be lucky to get a kitchen like that supplied and installed here for less than about $25k - the local suppliers seem to think it's open season on wallets.
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    Here 'tis, I hope!
    Looks like sundance has already completed his kitchen

Have to agree with MS, on the price being a bit more than 12k. Though not the open season, well not down here. Quite a few bigger retail chains are trying their hand at "kitchens" here at the moment. Haven't got to the bottom of it yet, as in who is doing the manufacturing and we are still winning jobs despite a claimed 30% off deal.

My advice would be to steer clear of the big kitchen places with the flashy stores, brochures and salesmen. Go to a local cabinet maker which build their own kitchens from scratch and ideally install them as well. The price for the kitchen there as you see it would be closer to 24k, but from this thread we are only talking about cabinets, which was 12k. Price breakdown is:

Cabinets + soft close + glass door inserts + lighting installed = 12k
    30mm stone benchtop = 4.5k
    Appliances (oven, rangehood, dishwasher, sink + tap) = 6k
    Plumbing = $500
    Electrical = $400
    Tiling = $600

7K Club Member

Mitre 10 is also doing flatpack kitchens and our local has 5 or 6 on display. Their range includes standard 'budget' melamine and vinyl wrap doors, but you can also go for 2-pack polyurethane. They don't stock the components like Bunnings do - you go online (Mitre 10 website obviously), design your kitchen, get an estimate and then print it and confirm pricing at a local Mitre 10. I reckon their vinyl wrap product is about 10% dearer than Bunnings 'apples for apples'. Not sure they are 10% better, but their 2-pack options could be worth a look. Then again you might just as well go for a cabinet maker...

this is the one at Bowden i finished last week

this cost 260 + gst plumbing
    and 450 plus gst for the Elec
    glass splassback + stainless 200ish from bunnings (highgrove)
    tiles 45 bucks
    the kitchen cost 4500 @ cunnings

I charged 2200 to install including the tiling

I think all up it was under $10,000 including all the whitegoods (bunnings)

the stove wasnt connected in the photo (hence the crooked under panel on the stove ) and the plumbing wasnt done yet (no mixer showing)

I left a photo print with her as the rangehood top sleeve is way smaller than the base one and they are sending a replacement

anyhow "if installed well" I have no issues with price and none with the quality of any ive installed so far !

So far ive had no issues getting replacement doors ,hinges and the likes for existing clients if there is ever an accident either

Its just my opinion but I think they are great for what they are !

cheers eden
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2551.jpg  

maybe you could repost a photo from the same spot in 3 yrs. Then we will see how good/crap they are. Personally, I'm leaning toward the latter....cheap Chinese..........

Small Member

Quote Originally Posted by stevoh741 View Post
    Green shed is cheap for a reason....
    It ain't as cheap as they like to make out...

7K Club Member

I really don't see how it would look any different from another three year old vinyl-wrap kitchen with the knocks family life brings. Just because the 'wrapping' happens in-country doesn't guarrantee it'll be better. My kitchen is an example.

Apprentice (new member)

The Bunnings kitchen's are not as bad as people make them out to be. It really just depends on what you are after. I wanted kitchen that was modern but I didn't want to fork out my life savings for a kitchen I would only be using for maybe 5,6 years max! I got quotes on a custom built kitchen, Bunnings, Ikea, Miter 10 and the new Masters. My kitchen is about 4x3.5m so at the total price including all elec/gas/plumbing work, I was looking at around 20k for a custom built - which I realised was overkill. Bunnings, Ikea, Mitre 10 and Masters (which, really, are all the same, and yes, from China - but what isn't these days?) priced in that order with bunnings coming it at 13k (this is including EVERYTHING! and I mean the installation of the cabinets all elec/plumbing/gas, benchtop, tiled splashback, rangehood ducting, new cornices and all new appliances from Westinghouse (except the bunnings rangehood) and as a comparison - Masters quoted 16K, not including any appliances or benchtop. Anyway, I think, if you can afford it and will be using it enough to get its worth back then go for that custom built, but if your on a budget and don't need all the fancy extras - then a bunnings flat pack wont kill you.

p.s. when we pulled out our old kitchen, the installers told us it was a flat pack as well, and it was still standing (and operating) even after 20 years - despite it's colour combination.

This is mine. All thats left is to paint the new cornices and do the flooring.
    p1010663.jpg

If you want to see before and after shots of mine, check it out here: .must have wear: .the kitchen evolution

Good Luck!

I had a cabinet maker build mine (I installed) for 20% cheaper than the chinese green shed. Quality leaps and bounds ahead of Bunn....

7K Club Member

I had a cabinet maker build mine (I installed) for 20% cheaper than the chinese green shed. Quality leaps and bounds ahead of Bunn....
    Fact is there will never be an apples for apples long term comparison posted here.

The only thing I don't like about my bespoke kitchen is the vinyl wrap doors, chosen due to budget and 'it won't happen to me' syndrome, and they were made in here.

Novice

I too was going to go through Bunnings for my kitchen. In the end I decided to get a quote from some of my local Kitchen designers and found some suprising results, I went to one and all they did was order the bunnings like kitchens and supply them to their clients.

In the end of went to one cabinet maker and they indicated that they would match the bunnings price with their own custom made cupboards and I could have them either supply or supply and install... I went supply to save some money.

Just my opinion try other companies they may match the price if they are truely interested in your business that is.

If you want "DIY" and can do it - measure, buy and take out old one -get new one and put it in , re plumb , elec also , connect and your off !!!
    if your not sure and want cheap - measure or get someone to do it , go to cunnings or a small or large manufacturer and get it then do the same !!!
    or if you dont want to touch it - get it

or 10 other ways with 10 other needs and wants with different abilities

My kitchen was bought in 2004 and was $14,200.95 b4 whitegoods installed !

to do the same design (not finish) is $6.776.50 in flatpax or what they now are calling Kaboodle

same finnish ..... add $1,250 = $8026.50

thats over 6 smackers in my pocket less install if im not confident ,,,,being $2,300 if done from boxed flatpack. and includes the lot down to sealing all the gaps and filling all holes etc....

thats $3,700 in my pocket even after its installed really well.

"""""""""""""""""""I think workmanship and attention to detail play a lot more of an importance than anyone mentions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!""""""" """"""""""

if you keep them level (laser) and assemble them square and tight and secure them well and think before leaping you can do fine with the green shed or the likes of ( i dont include ikea or an flimsy backed product ) for a fair result

ive also seen some of the best quality kitchens transported,carried/dragged off the truck and then installed by idiots or lackees that couldnt give a flying toss.

but

I can walk into Woodville Bunnings with an incorrectly ordered or supplied peice and have it sorted in 10 mins and be back at work less travel time with a smile on my face.

Maybee im very lucky ( but I have some great people from all walks of life at my local woodville bunnings and I have learnt a lot from them and find them great and no I dont have anything to do with them apart from buying kitchens and supplies for all my other work also)

AND ...... why does every one winge about end panels

im told (im a bloke !) they look fantastic on a majority basis (W.T._)

like i said ,,,,,,its all opinion

eden

1K Club Member

I just wanted a kitchen (and some laundry cupboards as well). I bought two of those seriously elcheapo straightline kitchens from Bunnings and am happy with the fact I have cupboards to put things in and a bench to work on. After 14 months in a caravan this was a good thing. I will refine it as I go along and any cabinets that get replaced will find a use elsewhere. The hinges and fittings are not all they could be, but they work. Given most people leave their homes after five years, and the new people pretty well always replace the kitchen - why spend more than you have to? They also do benchtops now, customed to the length you want (up to about 3 metres). They require finessing into non-square corners, but its not a huge job if you can think spatially and have the kit to do the work. I would rather spend a limited budget on a good shed and good tools so anything else, I can do myself, within reason.

I've a friend who's about to buy a Bunnings Flatpax/Kaboodle kitchen and I'm after a copy of the installation DVD or even written instructions. I'm not anywhere near a Bunnings store to be able to pick one up. anyone have one online somewhere?

A new laundry cupboard is being installed as a pre-kitchen test and having the DVD to watch before then will be a help to her (and probably me)
    Failing that, what are the minimum tools need to put the carcass together? I remember the drill, screwdriver bits and level but I'm sure there was mention of a few drill bits, purpose unknown.

Minimum tools - driver/drill, some screwdriver bits and maybe a holesaw if it has to go over a pipe.

Have you checked the bunnies website to see if they have the instructions online?
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Electric planner for fitting tops and infills, jigsaw for bench top cut outs, you'll need 40mm 50mm and 60mm holesaws and some various thickness packers for leveling up the cabinets.

I couldn't find anything on the Bunnings site but I went to Kaboodle.com.au and their kitchen design link points back to a page at Bunnings. It has the prices too which is helpful.

regards
    Geoff

FlatPax D.I.Y. Kitchen Base Cabinets Video - Bunnings Warehouse

this might get you started

put hinges on 200mm or smaller cabinets first also

ive got a list of tips and tricks somewhere and will have a look when i get the chance

cheers Eden

( others for the rangehood etc are at

Learn How To D.I.Y. - Bunnings Warehouse )

Quote Originally Posted by tumutbound View Post
    I've a friend who's about to buy a Bunnings Flatpax/Kaboodle kitchen and I'm after a copy of the installation DVD or even written instructions.
    what are the minimum tools need to put the carcass together?
    a skip bin for when you realise how bad the quality of it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    put hinges on 200mm or smaller cabinets first
    Do you have any info as to why?

Novice

It will make life easier then trying to do it after cupboard is screwed together. Your drill wont fit as it will be wider then the cupboard.

a skip bin for when you realise how bad the quality of it is.

Have you actually put one together ever ?

honest

I can see the poor quality just by looking at them in the green shed. I have also seen a lot of failed vinal wrap doors too. I'm yet too see any quality come out of china.

so thats a no

as suspected

I spent part of today helping a friend put together a couple of the Bunnings cupboards together as a landry unit (kitchen soon). I couldn't see anything about the carcasses that would set them apart from locally made ones. Soft close hinges seemed sturdy enough. Only minor complaint is that the adjustable feet only go down to about 100mm which is still a bit high for my short friend.

there are 2 parts to the threaded feet

cut the top of the base thread( the one with the round foot ) and the bottom off the top thread (that inserts to the square cabinet fixture) and you can get them down to 45mm ish

Novice

Default Ikea kitchens are fine

G'day. I built an Ikea kitchen 5 years ago. Total project cost me 8k all in, about half spent at Ikea. I designed it on their app which is handy as you can mix and match designs and then essentially print your order. I have no knowledge on Bunnings and the others.

My experience was that it was cheap, quite easy to do (that was the biggest indoor project I'd ever taken on at that time), and no special tools. 2 and a half years later when I sold, and it was showing no great wear at all. Here is a link to other pics and comments.

The hardest part of the job was adjusting a window size and removing a bit of gyprock to put noggins in for attaching the top cupboards.

I'm in the market again for a kitchen, and recently spent a Saturday morning at Kitchen connection, but beginning at $20k I need to consider some options.

kitchen-9.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Bunnings and ikea kitchens look the part if installed correctly but they have no water resisting properties and the hinges are sub par and will start to fail after a short time

Electrician

Talking

I used Bunning's flat pack kitchen cupboards in my laundry , too see how good they really are and i have to admit i am rather pleased with the result. I did however glue (PVA Glue) and screw them to make them stronger ,as already mentioned the quality of your finish will show in the finished product. Take your time , get it right and don't fall into the "Must get it done this weekend" pitfall. I didn't like the look of the quarter turn fixing used by Ikea Kitchens , but I may still buy the Bench-tops from Ikea ( when i do get around to do my kitchen ) to get a different colour to what Bunnings has to offer. Ps- Bunnings didn't offer soft close hinges once ( do they now? ) but the Ikea ones do fit Bunning's kitchens

Cabinetmaker

i got a call up today to do a bench top quote on a mates Bunnings Kitchen, and I wasnt impressed by the quality.

he has plans on demolishing the house in the next 5 years, so he's not overly worried about the quality of it.

16mm melamine drawers on full extension runners that didnt work quiet right, and the pressed metal hinges are a let down.

I still feel he could have done better going to a local cabinetmaker for it.

Shop around i say, there a heaps of great cabinetmakers out there screaming for work and now is the time to bargain with them, you will
    be surprised at what you can get local.

GP
    find us on facebook - Pitman Cabinetmaking
    follow us on Instagram - PITMAN_CABINETMAKING

Quote Originally Posted by Pitto View Post
    i got a call up today to do a bench top quote on a mates Bunnings Kitchen, and I wasnt impressed by the quality.

he has plans on demolishing the house in the next 5 years, so he's not overly worried about the quality of it.

16mm melamine drawers on full extension runners that didnt work quiet right, and the pressed metal hinges are a let down.

I still feel he could have done better going to a local cabinetmaker for it.

Shop around i say, there a heaps of great cabinetmakers out there screaming for work and now is the time to bargain with them, you will
    be surprised at what you can get local.

GP

if installed with 5 screws on the carcase AND drawer sections and care is taken with the runners I would be surprised if it didnt work well as ive never had a bad one yet( but that might just be luck) - anyhow if it dont work take it back and swap it for another -easy - sorted

the cheap (what 95% of the people get for some reason) hinges seem fine to me but if your that fussy you can get other quality ones and install them (same hole spaces) as the hinges are an option and there are several to choose from in soft close/push open /normal and so on
    so its up to you how cheap the hinges purchased are

as with the cheap handles that 95% of the clients go for -- get good ones if you want as the carcases no longer come with them

Ive now gone to 5 local cabinet makers and compared
    -a basic 10 carcase (4 top and 6 base) "L" shape kitchen in white vinyl wrap with 5 L/m (3 square m) of benchtop
    -adjustable feet
    -removable kickboards (snap in feet clips)
    -solid back same material as the rest of the carcase
    -a top rail at the front(not little triangles stapled into the corners with holes in it to affix the bench
    -a drip rail under the front edge of the benchtop so spilt sink water doesnt run under the bench and over the door into the carcase area (as it does in my kitchen, cabinet maker made and not a cheapie either)
    -decent drawers ( they were all using 12mm apart from one using 16mm )

the bunnings kitchens I do, have "all" this so I needed to compare apples with apples

the bunnings one came in at 3700 ish

the lowest out of the 5 came in at 5200

then up to 7150

================

sorry pitto but I would love to find a local that will do a competitive quote

Im catching up with a chippie from N.Z. in about 3 weeks with a view to having things done by him as he assures me he was taught a better standard of workmanship also
    but I need to wait till he moves down from Qld for a few weeks

so in the meantime its bunnings for now till I "SEE" better

cheers eden

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    if installed with 5 screws on the carcase AND drawer sections and care is taken with the runners I would be surprised if it didnt work well as ive never had a bad one yet( but that might just be luck) - anyhow if it dont work take it back and swap it for another -easy - sorted

the cheap (what 95% of the people get for some reason) hinges seem fine to me but if your that fussy you can get other quality ones and install them (same hole spaces) as the hinges are an option and there are several to choose from in soft close/push open /normal and so on
    so its up to you how cheap the hinges purchased are

as with the cheap handles that 95% of the clients go for -- get good ones if you want as the carcases no longer come with them

Ive now gone to 5 local cabinet makers and compared
    -a basic 10 carcase (4 top and 6 base) "L" shape kitchen in white vinyl wrap with 5 L/m (3 square m) of benchtop
    -adjustable feet
    -removable kickboards (snap in feet clips)
    -solid back same material as the rest of the carcase
    -a top rail at the front(not little triangles stapled into the corners with holes in it to affix the bench
    -a drip rail under the front edge of the benchtop so spilt sink water doesnt run under the bench and over the door into the carcase area (as it does in my kitchen, cabinet maker made and not a cheapie either)
    -decent drawers ( they were all using 12mm apart from one using 16mm )

the bunnings kitchens I do, have "all" this so I needed to compare apples with apples

the bunnings one came in at 3700 ish

the lowest out of the 5 came in at 5200

then up to 7150

================

sorry pitto but I would love to find a local that will do a competitive quote

Im catching up with a chippie from N.Z. in about 3 weeks with a view to having things done by him as he assures me he was taught a better standard of workmanship also
    but I need to wait till he moves down from Qld for a few weeks

so in the meantime its bunnings for now till I "SEE" better

cheers eden
    Hope the shed giving you kickbacks for blowing their trumpet so hard. Myself, I'm happy to pay extra for quality but good luck with it all

7K Club Member

Hope the shed giving you kickbacks for blowing their trumpet so hard. Myself, I'm happy to pay extra for quality but good luck with it all
    OMG! People get paid for their opinions here? How did i miss out? Where do I get some of that?

Yeah Right (kickbacks for blowing their trumpet so hard)

as you said in the second post on this thread " its just my opinion "

but ive thrown in the reasons for why i have that opinion and what has got me there

if things change so will my opinion

ps -I rekon stratco is comparable to the one thats paying me those big $$$$ for my praise so now with those royalties Im set

cheers eden

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast