Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Euromaid IHT60 Built in Hob/Induction

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Daylesford Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Default Euromaid IHT60 Built in Hob/Induction

    Hi all.

    My friend is ready to install a kitchen benchtop and is trying to think of the best way to work around a problem. There are drawers under the induction hotplate. In the installation instructions, which she should have read before setting out the kitchen , a 55mm space with a solid piece of board is required to cover the drawer (see page 6 of section 3 in pdf) She is hoping to find a way to achieve this or will sacrifice the use of drawer (my suggestion). I thought of using timber to create a space along the underside of the entire benchtop but was wondering how I'd go about it/fixing it to cabinets (ikea). Biggest downer about that idea is it's adding height and will be noticeable. The benchtop is possibly going to be made of folded stainless so could cover that edge with stainless too. Might help it not look so... makeshift. Any suggestions? Also, on page 7, the instructions refer to a ventilation opening at the rear side of cabinet. Not sure I get this properly. How can there be a side ventilation if there are cabinets attached either side? Maybe I'm misreading? Any and all help much appreciated

    IHT60_MAN1.pdf

    Cheers, Su.

  2. #2
    2K Club Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Jarrahdale
    Posts
    2,020

    Default I read it

    as you need a timber 'plate' a minimum of 55mm from the bottom of the hotplate. The back of that plate needs a cut out to a minimum of 180mm2, or as they say 40 x 450mm. A lot is riding therefore on the type of drawer underneath. If it's the modern standard then the sides and back are not full height, and it should be easy to cut a piece of melamine to drawer cupboard width that does not go all the way to the back of the cupboard and also leaves a gap at the front, if you set this back just enough you should be able to not see it when standing at the cupboard. Then screw from the two adjacent cupboards. To make it nice it'd probably be a good idea to have the edged edge at the front so it looks finished...if it gets seen.

    David

  3. #3
    2K Club Member toooldforthis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Perth Hills
    Posts
    2,471

    Default i didn't read it.

    Quote Originally Posted by David.Elliott View Post
    as you need a timber 'plate' a minimum of 55mm from the bottom of the hotplate. The back of that plate needs a cut out to a minimum of 180mm2, or as they say 40 x 450mm. A lot is riding therefore on the type of drawer underneath. If it's the modern standard then the sides and back are not full height, and it should be easy to cut a piece of melamine to drawer cupboard width that does not go all the way to the back of the cupboard and also leaves a gap at the front, if you set this back just enough you should be able to not see it when standing at the cupboard. Then screw from the two adjacent cupboards. To make it nice it'd probably be a good idea to have the edged edge at the front so it looks finished...if it gets seen.

    David
    wot he said

  4. #4
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Daylesford Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Thanks guys. I should remember what they're called. I certainly put enough of them together when I worked for cabinet makers. The drawers have metal sides similar to pic below.
    I will have to go measure it to see if there is enough room, 55mm + thickness of material. Not sure there is but that'd be great if there is.

    Cheers, Su.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ikea-drawer.jpg  

  5. #5
    1K Club Member arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ipswich Queensland (Gods backyard)
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Thanks guys. I should remember what they're called. I certainly put enough of them together when I worked for cabinet makers. The drawers have metal sides similar to pic below.I will have to go measure it to see if there is enough room, 55mm + thickness of material. Not sure there is but that'd be great if there is. Cheers, Su.
    drop the runners down to get the space required
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

  6. #6
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Daylesford Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arms View Post
    drop the runners down to get the space required
    How does that work in with the drawers below?

  7. #7
    1K Club Member arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ipswich Queensland (Gods backyard)
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    How does that work in with the drawers below?
    drop the drawers not the fronts
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

  8. #8
    Novice
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Give as much ventilation as you can as the pc board inside the cooktop will overheat. It will be cheaper to purchase a conventional cooktop with simmerstats in about 2-3 years time when this cooktop is cactus.

  9. #9
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Daylesford Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    I measured the drawer yesterday. There's 25mm from top of drawer edge to top of cabinet. Nik wants a 50mm thick bench top! The installation instructions show a 30mm benchtop. So assuming it can still be fixed (maybe not with the clips it comes with??), to the 50mm bench top, that would give another 20mm. Also I think there's an Ikea drawer side that is 68mm rather than 80mm so if she changed to those, that'd give another 12mm. 25+20+12=57mm. Then use cement sheet to avoid reducing that figure by a lot, it'll still be 50-51mm maybe a bit less to clear the edge of the drawer sides and not rub. If there's a bit of room to drop the drawer further, it should make it. How does all that sound?

  10. #10
    1K Club Member arms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ipswich Queensland (Gods backyard)
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    I measured the drawer yesterday. There's 25mm from top of drawer edge to top of cabinet. Nik wants a 50mm thick bench top! The installation instructions show a 30mm benchtop. So assuming it can still be fixed (maybe not with the clips it comes with??), to the 50mm bench top, that would give another 20mm. Also I think there's an Ikea drawer side that is 68mm rather than 80mm so if she changed to those, that'd give another 12mm. 25+20+12=57mm. Then use cement sheet to avoid reducing that figure by a lot, it'll still be 50-51mm maybe a bit less to clear the edge of the drawer sides and not rub. If there's a bit of room to drop the drawer further, it should make it. How does all that sound?
    try the dropped drawer first ,changing the drawer may incur more cost and drama than needed
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

  11. #11
    3K Club Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Daylesford Australia
    Posts
    3,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arms View Post
    try the dropped drawer first ,changing the drawer may incur more cost and drama than needed
    Yeah. I'll go have another look at it soon as I can. Cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Are induction hobs inefficient?
    By brettule in forum Kitchens
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd Feb 2013, 11:30 AM
  2. Induction cooktops power use
    By Gravy258 in forum Electrical
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17th Mar 2009, 03:07 PM
  3. Capacitor for induction Motor
    By acton in forum Electrical
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2nd Mar 2008, 11:34 PM
  4. Induction Cooktop
    By seriph1 in forum Kitchens
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th Oct 2006, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •