Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Floating corner shelf for microwave

Default Floating corner shelf for microwave

Gday crew,

Anyone have any tips on how to make a floating shelf for a corner that I can put my microwave on?

I'm in the process of setting up my small kitchen and would prefer to not to take up valuable kitchen benchtop space if possible.I was hoping to fit the microwave on a shelf under the corner top cabinet. That way I can still use some of the space underneath the shelf to store things.

Being that I plan to tile the walls, I wouldn't want to have any exposed brackets or supports on the wall as much as possible as they're a pain to tile around.

I plan to use some benchtop off cuts (this is the benchtop https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/saeljan...hoCjgwQAvD_BwE) as the shelf to match the benchtop.

There's plenty of "off the shelf" (excuse the pun) floating shelves I can find, but they're for rectangle shelves - I've yet to see one that is on an angle or for a corner.
    Obviously none of the normal floating shelf brackets can't work as it goes into a corner.

If I wasn't worried about tiling, I'd put a piece of timber on the walls attached to studs, and then put the shelf ontop and maybe a timber across the front for decorative purposes.

I was thinking of using a floating shelf bracket on one side of the wall, and then attach the shelf on the other side using some battern screws skrewed in on an angle on the underside.

I dont mind having some form of brackets attached to the top cabinets as long as they're decorative, but I am bit concerned for the ikea cabinets ability to hold the weight considering they're only held onto the wall by a rail.

Pictures attached for some inspo

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails db64dc12-57a4-4e14-8fac-ff98d3055453.jpg   il_340x270.2490814887_adq7.jpg   il_340x270.1597408633_5jqa.jpg   s-l300.jpg  

Don’t know of anything off the shelf, but if you are handy and have access to metal work tools they are simple to make.
    3-4mm flat bent to fit in the corner, two 10-12mm bars welded and pointing out from the wall. The trick is being in a corner they will have to be angled at 45 degree to the wall and parallel to each other.
    Drill holes in the shelf to suit the metal bars and rebate in the back of the shelf for the flat.

We actually bought quite a small microwave and put it in the pantry.

If you havent started tiling can you just put some noggins in the wall and pocket screw or skew nail straight in it and tile around it?

Considering the weight of some microwaves then you go an ad a kilo or so of stuff inside it its going to need to be quite strong
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

You need a really small microwave to put in a corner at 45, because when you angle them they stick out quite a bit.

You could use these style brackets, put one on each wall with a timber in between, you might need three brackets to do a corner, but they only come in pairs.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crest-mi...acket_p0011984
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Thanks everyone for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Don’t know of anything off the shelf, but if you are handy and have access to metal work tools they are simple to make.
    3-4mm flat bent to fit in the corner, two 10-12mm bars welded and pointing out from the wall. The trick is being in a corner they will have to be angled at 45 degree to the wall and parallel to each other.
    Drill holes in the shelf to suit the metal bars and rebate in the back of the shelf for the flat.
    Unfortunately I wouldn't know the first thing about how to use a welder, and I dont own one

I'm keen as mustard to learn how to weld one day. It's on the bucket list!

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    We actually bought quite a small microwave and put it in the pantry.

If you havent started tiling can you just put some noggins in the wall and pocket screw or skew nail straight in it and tile around it?

Considering the weight of some microwaves then you go an ad a kilo or so of stuff inside it its going to need to be quite strong
    Pantry is a great idea. My pantry unfortunately for this kitchen is only 400mm wide. Long and short of it is that I bought half the kitchen second hand (only a 1 year old ikea kitchen) and it came with a 400mm wide pantry. The kitchen space is small (3m long x 2.2m wide) so a 600mm pantry would take up quite a bit of room and I would've had to fork out $400 odd for a new one.

Re: noggins - were you suggesting I cut into the drywal and fit noggins to the stud? Patching around the area would be quite the challenge

It seems the only option if I do ahead is to put noggins on the wall, no other option I think can take the weight off a 8kg odd microwave plus food.

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    You need a really small microwave to put in a corner at 45, because when you angle them they stick out quite a bit.

You could use these style brackets, put one on each wall with a timber in between, you might need three brackets to do a corner, but they only come in pairs.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/crest-mi...acket_p0011984
    True, my microwave is a good 450mm deep and 500mm wide so, doing some calculations I'd need a shelf around 1000mm wide to fit my current microwave. It's a huge space to take up in a small 3x2.2m kitchen.
    Even if I cut the corners off made it more of a square base, i'm still looking at around 750mm.
    The stovetop is 900mm from the wall and about 330mm from the pantry so not keen to take up too much space from the area.

I might have to reconsider my plan to put the microwave in the corner, I was hoping to avoid having it on the benchtop because they look so dicky and I need benchtop space. I can't work out any good solution for my microwave. Originally the plan was to fit in an overhead cabinet, but they are 1700mm off the ground and being that I'm a whole 5' 6" I'd be over-reaching just to get things out of the microwave; not a good idea if it's hot food.

Here's a screenshot of my kitchen layout, anyone got any ideas?

I always fit them inside the pantry because they are ugly and take up precious bench space,
    I'm not a fan of the specific built in shelf thing, because they are ugly, saying that the latest LG microwaves look quite nice, just a big slab of black glass.
    https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/...ave-oven-1200w

I rather have everything concealed away in a kitchen.

Shame the pantry is only 400, the smallest microwave you can get is 442mm wide.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Don’t know of anything off the shelf, ...
    I see what you did there

I always fit them inside the pantry because they are ugly and take up precious bench space,
    I did mine in the pantry too but it isn't hidden by a door, I am not offended by their look but hate having it on a bench.
    The black LG looks good. Wish there were more fridges in black glass like Hitachi do.

I'm not a fan of the specific built in shelf thing, because they are ugly, saying that the latest LG microwaves look quite nice, just a big slab of black glass.
    https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/...ave-oven-1200w

Shame the pantry is only 400, the smallest microwave you can get is 442mm wide.
    In future I will definitely plan for my microwave to be put in the pantry. We've had the bastards for 40 years and they still look so out of place and ugly. Mine was only a $100 cheapie I bought five years ago, still going strong!

This kitchen reno is a budget upgrade, so I went down the second hand path. Found a bargain ikea kitchen that was only used for a year that only came wth a 400mm pantry which sucks. If I wasn't doing the reno on the cheap then I would've bought a 600mm one with a space for a microwave.

I've decided that I will likely still go ahead and fit the microwave on a shelf. Just looks @@@@house on the benchtop, especially with my design.

I want to fit a corner shelf but have the corners cut off.
    Basically this shape:

How would I go about making a decent mounting setup for it?

I can't think of anything else than two noggins against the wall and maybe a timber to connect them up through the middle. I'd check the ends of the cross timber for strength.

I would likely use two laminated pieces of 30-40mm high mpg10 batten screwed to the studs.

Any other suggestions? Dont mind any visible mounting support as long as it's decorative.

Otherwise, that shelf will be mounted to a wall that I have access to from one side. I could use one of those floating shelf brackets on the side I can't get access, and on the other side use a 150-200mm batten screw through the studs and into the shelf to hold it in place. The other side of the wall needs to be painted anyway so dont mind patching a small hole or two. Would it be a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBolt View Post
    In future I will definitely plan for my microwave to be put in the pantry. We've had the bastards for 40 years and they still look so out of place and ugly. Mine was only a $100 cheapie I bought five years ago, still going strong!

This kitchen reno is a budget upgrade, so I went down the second hand path. Found a bargain ikea kitchen that was only used for a year that only came wth a 400mm pantry which sucks. If I wasn't doing the reno on the cheap then I would've bought a 600mm one with a space for a microwave.

I've decided that I will likely still go ahead and fit the microwave on a shelf. Just looks @@@@house on the benchtop, especially with my design.

I want to fit a corner shelf but have the corners cut off.
    Basically this shape:

How would I go about making a decent mounting setup for it?

I can't think of anything else than two noggins against the wall and maybe a timber to connect them up through the middle. I'd check the ends of the cross timber for strength.

I would likely use two laminated pieces of 30-40mm high mpg10 batten screwed to the studs.

Any other suggestions? Dont mind any visible mounting support as long as it's decorative.

Otherwise, that shelf will be mounted to a wall that I have access to from one side. I could use one of those floating shelf brackets on the side I can't get access, and on the other side use a 150-200mm batten screw through the studs and into the shelf to hold it in place. The other side of the wall needs to be painted anyway so dont mind patching a small hole or two. Would it be a bad idea?
    If it's only a light microwave and you don't want to go to the trouble of recessing brackets inside the shelf on one side then Screw two timbers to the wall in the corner, 42 x 9 should do it if it's a light microwave, make sure to get them into the next stud if you can.
    Then screw the corner shelf like the one above from the top back into the 42 x 19, it will have enough strength to hold up a smaller microwave, if it's a heavy machine you might need some brackets underneath.

Yeah i assumed it would be heavier then 8kg. But like you said takes up a bit of space on an angle. Also remember to run power to where ever its going.

Can you rejig one of the open upper cabinets to take it?
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Community Moderator

Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder as I don't see a problem at all. Our microwave has a special shelf on the top of the wall oven and it doesn't look out of place.
    I've never seen a microwave in a pantry.

If it's only a light microwave and you don't want to go to the trouble of recessing brackets inside the shelf on one side then Screw two timbers to the wall in the corner, 42 x 9 should do it if it's a light microwave, make sure to get them into the next stud if you can.
    Then screw the corner shelf like the one above from the top back into the 42 x 19, it will have enough strength to hold up a smaller microwave, if it's a heavy machine you might need some brackets underneath.
    Thanks for that suggestion!

Unfortunately it is fairly heavy microwave though, so should I look at fitting a bigger support? I was thinking maybe a 70x35 skimmed down to a 40x35?
    And I was hoping to use some offcuts from the 38mm benchtop which is a laminate and fairly heavy too.

Otherwise can I get away with a angle fillet ? I'd likely cut it out of a 90x45 using my table saw so make a 45x45mm fillet.

My last option is use decorative brackets, I'm thinking these industrial pipe fitting looking brackets. They are at least decorative and would have some strength. I would have them come from the top though, not underneath, which means I'd still need some form of support under the benchtop.

If I go with the floating corner shelf, then according to my calculations and the shelf would be about 675mm from the corner of the wall to the edge of the shelf, it would jut out about 320mm from the wall at the beginning of the opening and I could around a 500mm wide and 450mm deep microwave. I've got 760mm from the benchtop to the bottom of the top cabinets, so with the 38mm shelf + 350mm high microwave I'd have around 370mm of clearance underneath the shelf to the benchtop. It does take up a bit of space, but it's manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    Yeah i assumed it would be heavier then 8kg. But like you said takes up a bit of space on an angle. Also remember to run power to where ever its going.

Can you rejig one of the open upper cabinets to take it?
    I actually originally planned to have the microwave in the overhead cabinets, but now that I've installed it all, I discovered it's too high. That's why I'm scratching my head on what to do now. It was meant to go in the middle cabinet between the two blue open boxes.
    The top cabinets are 1700mm from the ground which is pretty much as tall I as am. The top of the cabinets are 2300mm from the floor.

This is how it originally was meant to be:

I've considered lowering the middle top cabinet, but with a test fit it looked very odd. Having the line of flowing top cabinets looks much better imho. Also the microwave doesn't fully sit in the overhead cabinets as they are approx 350mm deep when the microwave is 390mm.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/rDZgXN8.png[/img]

The only other option would be to move around the top cabinets and maybe fit the microwave on the window side to not fully break up the line, but it would still look a bit odd but bearable.

So now to decide whether to do the shelf or change up the overhead cabinets...

Any bracket / shelf is only as strong as the wall that's holding it up, if you can't get decent fixings in the wall, then even the heaviest duty bracket won't hold much.