Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Gas cooktop recondition-any clues?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Gas cooktop recondition-any clues?

We're doing a complete new kitchen,all new appliances and so on.We ran into a snag with our cooktop situation.
    We are stuck with the existing benchtop depth because of clearance to island bench and maintaining the required 200mm from burner to splashback leaves very few options for new 4 burner gas cooktops that are 400 mm by 900 mm.
    I had a thought that we could recondition the existing cooktop which is a beauty-Chef brand, circa mid '90's.Its white enamel.
    No scratches but the white has some heat marks near the hobs.Label is a stuck on and peeling,knobs are in good condition but would need to be changed to black knobs ( from another manufacturer ? )
    I imagine the process to be :
    1 Sandblast white off and powdercoat in high heat satin black.
    2 Have a label made,screen printed on an ally or ss plate.
    3 Find some black knobs somehow
    Interested in others thoughts,thanks

3K Club Member

Contact Chef and see what parts are available.
    Most likely need new burners and cover plates as well.
    Lift the top and have a looksee inside as to condition then decide if it is worth the cost to restore.
    Also check with Gas installer as to whether they will reconnect it once it is restored as it might not meet present day code.
    Hate to see you go to so much trouble and cost only to be knocked back by the Gas installer

Do you really need 4 burners?
    I find they are usually too close together to use them all at once anyway.
    How many do you use at one time?
    Maybe consider a 3 burner?
    Once at a place I did a 2 burner induction and a separate gas wok hob.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iretired View Post
    ...maintaining the required 200mm from burner to splashback ...
    When did this 'rule' happen?

Is it different for a free standing cooker/range, as our closest burners are 140mm from the edge of the burner to splashback?

The 200mm requirement is only for Gas cooktops, replace it with an Induction and choose whatever cooktop you like.

Have had gas cooktops in the last 4 houses, swapped to induction here and I would never go back to Gas, not only is Induction quicker than gas, it's 1000 times easer to keep clean.

Don't miss trying to keep the trivets, burners and all the other bits and pieces on an average gas cooktop clean, Induction just wipe it over and it's all done.
    If you really want gas, there are slim models but they are pricey.

gas.jpg

gas-1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails induction.jpg  
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

7K Club Member

The 200mm requirement is only for Gas cooktops
    Mine is gas, and 140mm. Smeg 900mm range, circa 2004

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Mine is gas, and 140mm. Smeg 900mm range, circa 2004
    200mm was brought in due to splashbacks such as glass and stainless allowing too much heat to pass through to the wall framing behind, without being properly insulated with something like compressed sheeting between the glass / stainless and the framing, ie: Gyprock is not a suitable fire resistant building material.

Below is one I was asked to do something with, the fake marble tiles are scorched from the heat.
    This was a new apartment, obviously the builder didn't follow any requirements, the client said all the apartments were the same, I told them to take it up with the builder as a defect.

img_9653_20210610_083507.jpg

img_9656_20210610_083507.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks all,no I'm going to keep gas.We don't have the current available for ac oven and serious induction,they're high wattage items and the gas is there plumbed,bottles regs etc
    My issue now is how to remove the white enamel as sand blasting may not cut the mustard.I'm going to research other methods recoating and so on next week at the powdercoaters.
    Anyone with experience ever done this ?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    200mm was brought in due to splashbacks such as glass and stainless allowing too much heat to pass through to the wall framing behind, without being properly insulated with something like compressed sheeting between the glass / stainless and the framing, ie: Gyprock is not a suitable fire resistant building material.

Below is one I was asked to do something with, the fake marble tiles are scorched from the heat.
    This was a new apartment, obviously the builder didn't follow any requirements, the client said all the apartments were the same, I told them to take it up with the builder as a defect.

We have glass/marble trim s/back at present with 200 mm from edge of burner to s/back as it happens ( was probably the rule 1994 as well )
    No damage whatsoever and I just tried,my hand whilst warm,can comfortably stay there so sticking with the 200

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post

Have had gas cooktops in the last 4 houses, swapped to induction here and I would never go back to Gas, not only is Induction quicker than gas, it's 1000 times easer to keep clean.

Don't miss trying to keep the trivets, burners and all the other bits and pieces on an average gas cooktop clean, Induction just wipe it over and it's all done.
    I agree with that as I have gas but when using my friends induction it is much superior, the only drawback for me is running a new circuit which poses challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I agree with that as I have gas but when using my friends induction it is much superior, the only drawback for me is running a new circuit which poses challenges.
    Was lucky here, the board had been upgraded only a few years ago, and there was already the circuits for Induction and 2 ovens ready to go, as well three phase for the ducted, happy as

It's surprising how much less power an Induction uses in comparison to either Halogen or solid surface, because it's so quick and your only heating the pot and nothing else unlike other forms of electric you use a lot less power.

They rate the efficiency of induction around 90-95%, gas gets a poultry 35 - 65% because most of it's heating is lost.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Gas cooktop recondition-any clues?

What material is behind the cooktop?
    Sk

Apprentice (new member)

I ended up going induction,yes some cost and hassle with a new hd electrical circuit but doing the gas reco was just too hard.The cost of re-enameling the top surface was $300 alone plus 2 way transport.

I doubt powder coating would have survived for too long either.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I doubt powder coating would have survived for too long either.
    Powder coating maybe not,but that quote was for enamel as per the original.....

So a proper fired glass enamel!

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    So a proper fired glass enamel!
    According to the old Australian/Italian guy who has run the business for decades,yes,baked on at 800c,3 part process according to him hence the price.Took the time to explain the process,I would have felt comfortable sending my cooktop to him.

Be interested in for future reference who you found?

Quote Originally Posted by Iretired View Post
    We have glass/marble trim s/back at present with 200 mm from edge of burner to s/back as it happens ( was probably the rule 1994 as well )
    No damage whatsoever and I just tried,my hand whilst warm,can comfortably stay there so sticking with the 200
    It becomes an issue when you put larger pots on the burners, as the heat from the flames wraps around the sides of the pots, so the bigger the pot the closer the heat gets to the wall.
    Gas cooktops emit a lot of radiated heat, whereas induction emits almost zero heat, as all the energy generated is directed directly into the pot, and is why they are the cheapest electric cooktops to run