Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Higher benches - Flatpak options

Apprentice (new member)

Default Higher benches - Flatpak options

Afternoon all,

We are about to commence a reno and we want higher than standard benches in the kitchen. From the research I have been doing standard Flatpaks are only 720 high. Can anyone suggest a solution for raising the bench height using Flatpaks, or if you are aware of Flatpaks that come in other than 720 height?

We are in Eastern Subs Melbourne.

Thanks

There should be a few local fabricators of unassembled kitchens down your way who will cut and drill boards for a kitchen to your specs, including taller carcasses.

If you are looking at a carcass system "off the shelf" it is possible to increase the finished cabinet height by subtituting the existing adjustable feet for taller versions.
    You might even be able to use the leg section of the new feet in the mounting blocks from the units supplied, which means that everything will fit together easily.

Cheers,

Earl
    Designer - Retail; Exhibition; Kitchen

12" member

I know here in Perth the Laminex Group offer flatpack carcasses in a 670, 720 and a 770 height..

heres a link ;

http://www.thelaminexgroup.com.au/tr...ials/index.asp

the quotes i have had so far have been pretty reasonable and they give you the exact size door specs each cabinet requires

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for that. It gives me somewhere to start.

More ideas would be appreciated.

Have first hand experience of this problem.

An auntie who was 4'11" tall had low benches installed in her kitchen. Built by Vallance so they were very high quality. They had lowish kickboards at about 75mm.

She died and the house went to her sister who was almost 6' tall, and always wore heels. Family joke was that she slept in stiletoes. The kickboards were then removed and replaced with ones about 250 mm high - for a hight suited to 'big sister'.

These were a just standard two shelf kitchen units. An unexpected bonus was that the much higher shelves were much more easily accessible. (Remember, the bottom shelf was almost a foot off the ground.)

Cheers

Graeme

720 carcase + 30mm top + 150mm kicker = 900 total height = right height for most people. Unless you're a basketball player or a midget then 900 is pretty good. Beware of making your tops taller because you or the cook are a bit on the tall side. try sitting a cutting board on something to bring it up to your proposed height and spend a bit of time cutting up things on it. You will probably find that you get a sore shoulder quite quickly if it's too high.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Novice

I agree with Mick.
    3 times I've built and installed kitchens taller for clients and each one I've been called back within months to rebuild lower (back to 900mm total height)
    Luckily I managed to convince clients to only increase the kicker height so when lowering, it only meant pulling kitchen out and refitting with lower kick height. Ie no carcase alteration needed.
    Regards Simon.

Old Chippy 6K

900 is a good height and best to stick with standard carcases - which are usually available in 2 or 3 heights anyway. Legs lengths are variable to and adjustable of course - so just choose the right components and away you go. Kickboards can be cut to size easily.

BTW - I rarely see others do it, but I allow 50mm overhang on all my benchtops (as my Dad did since the '50s). I am the chief cook & bottle washer in my house so am well aware of what happens when there are spills (and there are always spills). In most standard benches the spill goes straight down onto the cupboard fronts - going to 50mm means that spills go to the floor and mostly without getting on the cupboards. Even wit the small splashes from normal use this makes cleaning much easier - for almost no cost. People for whom I have recommended this reckon it is a great mod.

How much higher do you want to go?

I'm 6'6" and have 900mm benchtops... It's a matter of working in with the Oompa Loompa's of the world...

I've tried out an 875mm bench, and it's noticebly much much shorter!

Apprentice (new member)

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was removing a fireplace on the weeknd.

My hubby is 6'6" also and has a bad back and does most of the cooking. In the last house we have 980 benches and that was great. We are looking at around 930 this time and yes we have considered the issue with the cooker being lower and how wer are going to prop that up.

Thanks to all, I think I have found a suitable solution. I will keep you all updated with what we finish with.