Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

How to hide joins on rear panels of kitchen island?

Apprentice (new member)

Default How to hide joins on rear panels of kitchen island?

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on how to fit the 3 rear panels to my kitchen island so that the joins will be either hidden or tidied so they are a kind of feature (see example photo).
    The inside edges have been cut so they'll need to be covered up maybe with some iron-on edging? although I'm reluctant to use this as the finish is generally pretty average.
    The rest of the kitchen is quite minimal so I don't want to fit any extra vertical lengths over the joins, and also want to avoid using any plastic joining strips.
    Am I wasting my time, should I just try find some pre-made panels to cover (total with is 2440mm), or is there an easy way to use the materials I already have?

Thanks

example.jpgkitchen-island-join.png

The picture of what you are after I believe are dress panels installed to the back of cabinets, I assume yours are just the base carcass ? and are melamine.

Dress panels are going to be the way to get a quality finish, it can be made as one piece or many.

Apprentice (new member)

Yep, they are melamine offcuts. The centre piece is cut on both sides but the panels either side have a finished outside edge which is why I thought I might be able to make it work. They are made for cupboard/kitchen side panels.
    'Dress panels', so that's the correct name. I has hoping for an easy fix but like you say, I think these will be a much better finish.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    The picture of what you are after I believe are dress panels installed to the back of cabinets, I assume yours are just the base carcass ? and are melamine.

Dress panels are going to be the way to get a quality finish, it can be made as one piece or many.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayB001 View Post
    'Dress panels', so that's the correct name. ...
    Also known as end panels, side panels and cover panels

Get one continuous panel instead of separate cover panels, or put a feature such as timber under there
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Apprentice (new member)

yeah, looking like I'll have to get a custom 2440mm single length with 3 finished edges
    Quote Originally Posted by METRIX View Post
    Get one continuous panel instead of separate cover panels, or put a feature such as timber under there

7K Club Member

Hard to tell the depth. Are people going to sit there? We created a display case on the back of our island, about 10cm deep with glass doors

I usually put a timber feature over the entire surface, this way it doesn't matter how long the island is.

capture.jpg

Apprentice (new member)

Nice..
    Might have to see what other left-over off cuts I have, this could be an option. Thanks

I usually put a timber feature over the entire surface, this way it doesn't matter how long the island is.

Apprentice (new member)

The overhang is only 50mm (can be increased) and won't be used for seating. The overhang is mainly to give a some extra space behind the sink, and to avoid the island looking like a large box.
    Display case, another good idea. Although I wouldn't do glass for me, this has got me thinking maybe some kind of shelving with doors. I've got a few spare doors and offcuts.

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    Hard to tell the depth. Are people going to sit there? We created a display case on the back of our island, about 10cm deep with glass doors

metrix - what a pro. That is one noice kitchen.

Jayb001 - for a cheap option - ikea sell these white strips that are made to go over the joins?
    https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/foerbae...hite-50274484/
    https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/metod-c...hite-00270983/

or there are white strips that are used to connect eaves together that you could use? You'd have to cut the internal trims off and slip it in the gaps. Wouldn't look too terrible if done right.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/brutus-1...mould_p0012234

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBolt View Post
    metrix - what a pro. That is one noice kitchen.
    Yeah it came up not bad, here are some shots of the making of it, used to be an internal dodgy spiral staircase, top became new kitchen underneath new study.

This poor thing looked like a home made job, it wobbled like jelly

New floor in taking out brick wall to gain wasted space, old kitchen in the background

Ripping out the old kitchen (this room became the new master bedroom with WIR and ensuite)

Notice the pipe running flat on the floor, this was the sink waste, now normally pipes have a slight fall to them so shyte runs out of them !.
    This one didn't run very well being flat on the floor so the shyte didn't have anywhere to go YUK

Also notice the mess of wiring, who knows who did this kitchen reno it was a complete mess

Here is that pipe full of shyte

New kitchen upstairs

New study under kitchen

Stairs got moved to here

New stairs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150831_070317821_ios.jpg   20150902_130117893_ios.jpg   20151031_041441497_ios.jpg   img_0859.jpg   img_0862.jpg  

20190304_225048.jpg   img_1195.jpg   dsc00072-copy-.jpg   20190304_230056.jpg   20190304_230228.jpg  

I didn't see your reply metrix.

That is an incredible renovation!!
    You earned your kept that month or two!!

Who in the 70s thought that the brick dungeon was a nice feature?! Insane. May we never make such horrible choices again!!

2K Club Member

Notice the pipe running flat on the floor, this was the sink waste, now normally pipes have a slight fall to them so shyte runs out of them !.
    This one didn't run very well being flat on the floor so the shyte didn't have anywhere to go YUK

Moving our kitchen meant getting rid of the dishwasher drain that went along one cupboard to a right angle, along that cupboard to another right angle then along that cupboard (essentially a U shape) then a right angle to exit the house..probably well over 3m in total . All in the space under the cupboards...That was a fun job to remove...
    Last edited by phild01; 14th Sep 2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: quotes/txt size
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by JayB001 View Post
    yeah, looking like I'll have to get a custom 2440mm single length with 3 finished edges
    that is your easiest solution i guess.

got a similar layout with lines in the back of a kitchen island...I was thinking of screwing some drywall sheets on and then putting gluing some tile cladding or mosaics there to make a feature out of it. you could even have bolts that can be undone from inside the cabinets so that you can switch out the drywall/tiling in the future when you think its time for a design change.

I have a similar problem with the back of a breakfast bar. I cut a sheet of MDF to suitable size and painted it.
    I had installed a Bunnings/Kaboodle kitchen so getting a custom made panel was not an option.

7K Club Member

If you have young kids or toddlers, I also recall visiting a home where they had painted MDF with blackboard paint. They also wainscotted an adjacent wall and used blackboard paint there too. Just ideas

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    If you have young kids or toddlers, I also recall visiting a home where they had painted MDF with blackboard paint. They also wainscotted an adjacent wall and used blackboard paint there too. Just ideas
    The reason I get asked to do these timber features is because with any painted finish they always end up with foot marks from kids etc on them sitting at the bar stools.
    With the timber coated in an appropriate clear coat this problem is eliminated, plus you get a little bit of a timber feature as well.

New stairs

if you fell down the stairs it would be like falling through an egg slicer

p.s love the under bench timber feature

7K Club Member

The reason I get asked to do these timber features is because with any painted finish they always end up with foot marks from kids etc on them sitting at the bar stools.
    With the timber coated in an appropriate clear coat this problem is eliminated, plus you get a little bit of a timber feature as well.
    The idea of blackboard paint is that it is designed to be messy, and a place to play that isn't actually *in* the kitchen getting under busy parents' feet. Once they grow up/grow out of it, paint it again, or engage Metrix to install a lovely timber feature