Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Kitchen cabinet or floorboard first?

Apprentice (new member)

Default Kitchen cabinet or floorboard first?

Hi,

I renovating my place and putting a new kitchen with flooting floorboard. I'm wondering what should go first: kitchen base cabinet or floorboard?

Thanks

Flooring first.

If for no other reason than if the kitchen ever gets rearranged the floor will not have to be added to.

It is also easier scribing a kickboard to a floor than a floor to a kickboard.

Cheers,

Earl
    Designer - Retail; Exhibition; Kitchen

Hi Yann,
    Not too sure on the first step first 'rules', but we had a whole new kitchen installed earlier this year along with new floating flooring.
    We were advised by both kitchen installer and flooring guy to do the kitchen install first and then the flooring would butt up to the cabinets.
    However, we have no intention of re-arranging our kitchen 'ever'!!
    Probably didn't help you much, but that's the way we went and all turned out great!
    When we ripped out the old kitchen and took up all the existing tiling, we found they done the same (kitchen first, then flooring).
    In saying that, WA is very 'different' to the rest of the country....
    (I mean that in the nicest possible way.....honest)

Do it the way Sybarite suggested. That's how we did our place. Much easier for all tradies involved...to work without any extra measuring and cutting. Get the floor in and sanded. Quicker to do one whole space then have to work around things. Then, just plonk the cabinetry right on top. Much easier and will save you money on labour if anything.
    Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky4000 View Post
    Do it the way Sybarite suggested. That's how we did our place. Much easier for all tradies involved...to work without any extra measuring and cutting. Get the floor in and sanded. Quicker to do one whole space then have to work around things. Then, just plonk the cabinetry right on top. Much easier and will save you money on labour if anything.
    Dan.

its a flooting(apparently) floor so it will be only about 7 to 9 mm thick on polyester foam ,with this fact i would go with the kitchen first then the floor ,if you choose later to rip the flooting floor out the your kitchen is sitting on solid substructures ,so no matter what you do the kitchen is still the same
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

rob

Do the kitchen base casements first and for the reason Arms stated and do the rest of the kitchen after the floor this way all the side and kick pannel do not look crap by having quarter round on them . Your paying good money for a new floor and kitchen the last thing you want is for it to look tacky .
    I did it this way on my prevous reno and it looked great .
    Rob

Microsurgeons are great! renomart's Avatar

For a quality job floor first kitchen last

China

Fit the cabinets first, my friend did hers the other way 2 years ago, the floor has moved all over the place so have the cabinets

Novice

Funny that, i was expecting the odds to be stacked the other way.
    I would disagree and go with the cabinets first then the floor.
    Firstly, a floating floor must allow for expansion and contraction. The combined weight of your cabinets won't allow it.
    Secondly, that skirting will be around every other wall as well, it wont look out of place around your cabinets.
    And finally, that stuff can cost a small fortune per metre. Do you really need a $400 base that you will never see under your bench?
    I'll agree it's not the ideal way to go if you think you might want to rearrange your kitchen, but i doubt your new cabinets have that ability either.

Novice

China,
    that is exactly the kind of result i would expect. The floor must be allowed to move.
    I doubt your floorboards will require sanding, the majority of floating floors are factory finished. Even if they did, i can't see the guy doing the job dropping his price because theres one less edge to sand in the house.
    'Getting one trade in and the other out' sounds like they are lining up at your door, waiting for their turn. In reality, you would be lucky to coordinate two tradies working on your kitchen in the same week. I doubt congestion would be a factor.
    Interesting topic though, any professional installers out there who can set the record straight?

Alien in a Strange Land Honorary Bloke's Avatar

Woodsie (and some others) pretty well have the right of it. For a floating floor, cabinets first, floor later:

• Allows for the important expansion gap
    • Easy to take up if you decide to change flooring material
    • If the floor gets wet (as from a leak), you will be very glad you put it in last (DAMHIKT)
    • Waste of money under the cabs

The following is from the installation FAQs from a large floating floor manufacturer:

2. Can I install Pergo under cabinets?
    We recommend that cabinets be installed before installing Pergo. Run the Pergo up to the kick plate, leaving an expansion space and cover the space with a Pergo quarter round or end molding. However, cabinets may be installed after the floor is in place IF they are NOT fixed or attached to the Pergo floor. Cabinets and islands can be anchored to the subfloor. Should any anchoring bolts or screws be placed through Pergo, the drilled holes must be larger than the diameter of the bolts to allow for the required floating floor expansion space.

HTH
    Cheers,

Bob

"The population of Sydney was divided into two classes, those who sold rum and those who drank it."
    --Dr George Macakness (1806)

The reason we were given was exactly what Woodsie344 and HB have said.

1. Floor needs to move
    2. Why waste $$ on flooring that won't be seen under the cabinets.

We didn't have a clue, as this was our first experience, but with everything we read and researched, this seemed logical.

We took the word of both tradies and again, being original East Aussie and then moving to West Aussie, we were a bit nervous......
    But..the skirting around our kitchen benches look fine and blend beautifully with the rest of the house.
    Good luck

Ants and/or cockroaches in the house?
    Definitely cupboards on top of floor to try and keep the little critters out.
    Ever tried washing a floor and someone kick the bucket, water everywhere, seeps floats along cupboards into the edging of the floor, edge of boards swells, floor ruined.
    Definitely cupboards on top of floor boards.
    Ever seen the grime that collects where floor butts up to cupboards? Can't wash it because water will seep into edges of floorboards.
    Definitely cupboards on top of floorboards.
    Just my 2 cents worth
    Wolffie
    I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

Quote Originally Posted by Yann View Post
    Hi,

I renovating my place and putting a new kitchen with flooting floorboard. I'm wondering what should go first: kitchen base cabinet or floorboard?

Thanks
    I'm a cabinetmaker with 38 years of experience.
    I'm about to redo my own kitchen in the next few weeks (as time permits)
    I'm putting all the base carcases down first, then I'm going to lay the floor up to the adjustable feet. Then after that's done I'll put on the end panels and kickers scribbed down to the floor.
    That way I can remove the kickers and/or end panels later if required without disturbing the flooring.
    If you have any problems under your cupboards at a later date(water,vermin etc), this will allow you to have a look under there without diturbing the flooring

On a personal note, I would not put a floating floor in my kitchen,or anywhere there is water .....I've seen many water overflows ruin a good kitchen
    Last edited by Kanga; 22nd May 2008 at 07:36 PM. Reason: more info

Wardrobes supplied & installed

Being that its a floating floor, definetly cabinets first.

If it was a solid timber floor, install floor, rough sand, install cabinets, light sand, finish floors...

Quote Originally Posted by chuth77 View Post
    Being that its a floating floor, definetly cabinets first.

If it was a solid timber floor, install floor, rough sand, install cabinets, light sand, finish floors...
    Would someone like to tell me ..........
    (1) How do you get water out from under a floating floor in a kitchen
    (2) How does the floor "float" with a heavy fridge/dishwasher etc sitting on top of it

Anyone

Novice

When we did our kitchen, we had the kitchen put in first, then the floating floor.

BUT for me the jury is still out on the quarter rounds around the cabinets, looks ok, but not fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    Would someone like to tell me ..........
    (1) How do you get water out from under a floating floor in a kitchen
    (2) How does the floor "float" with a heavy fridge/dishwasher etc sitting on top of it

Anyone
    (1) You don't put one in to start with!! But seriously, you should be sealing the edges against the cupboards with a good quality caulking compound. This prevents water from seaping under the cabinets!!
    (2) The floor is designed to float becasue of the nature of the timber and construction of the strips. By laying weights which pin it down, you create problems, i.e. small gaps in the boards which collect dust and grime, and allow any spilt water to ease on through!

Quote Originally Posted by chuth77 View Post
    (1) You don't put one in to start with!! But seriously, you should be sealing the edges against the cupboards with a good quality caulking compound. This prevents water from seaping under the cabinets!!
    (2) The floor is designed to float becasue of the nature of the timber and construction of the strips. By laying weights which pin it down, you create problems, i.e. small gaps in the boards which collect dust and grime, and allow any spilt water to ease on through!
    Thank you chuth, you have comfirmed my thoughts on floating floors in kitchens,
    I rest my case

Apprentice (new member)

no floating floorboards in the kitchen but what can you do if your kitchen and house is open space and you are planning on laying the floating floor boards throughout the living area?

any suggestions?

Install proper timber overlay flooring, glued down if you are after timber flooring.Either that or make a statement with tiles!