Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

messmate benchtop 60 mm suggestions

Novice

Default messmate benchtop 60 mm suggestions

Hi all,
    Just want to pick some brains about my kitchen bench top. I would dearly love a 60mm thick messmate benchtop but it seems like the joiner/sawmill we are sussing out can only do 40mm thick. The options are to add an end strip and mitre the edges so it doesnt look to added on, then to infill the defecit beneath with messmate where it will show (ie the breakfast bar) and with whatever substrate in other places it wont show (ie above carcass). The only issue here is that we have a 1m wide section of bench, which may make the cut tricky with table saw limitations??? OR the other option would be to have 60mm thick pieces (40mm wide) laminated giving me my desired 60mm thick benchtop, but with a totally different look.
    Any suggestions or advice would be so appreciated. Or even an idea of a supplier in Vic who may be able to do thicker than 40mm so no need for edge strip. Or someone who is cheap and fabulous!!??? Even 50mm would do me...I just think 40mm looks so mean!! Me and hubby are pretty handy, but figure we dont have heaps of time right now, nor do we have a great flat space we could do the laminating ourselves (if thats what we decide). Slabs would be ideal, but am thinking they will cost the earth. Or will they? Suppliers?? Our plan C option is to use cypress which a mate of ours mills closeby, but Im scared itll be too soft for how we want to be able to treat it. I am not precious and like to be able to put pots etc straight onto benchtop, and dont mind a few dings here and there. It will just be oiled in the end, whichever way we go. Thanks in advance!! Cheerio.

Jo Jo, get in touch with the Timberzoo over at Moolap on the Bellarine and they should be able to sort you out with timber. The other alternative that I'm aware of is a bit further away in the Yarra Valley - Bowerbird Timber.

Alternatively (and much cheaper than 60mm), one could take the 40mm and use 22mm green tongue particle board underneath with a Messmate coverstrip laminated out front or all around....whatever the case may be - it can be done in a way that doesn't show (especially if you use an oil finish rather than that horrible poly crap). This is how most so-called granite benchtops are made...
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

Novice

Thanks SBD! I had thought of using a different substrate and doing the edge strip but have heard from several sources (including on this forum) that expansion/contraction is going to cause drama here. But I obviously dont want to pay for twice the timber (ie on top and underneath) which is whats been recommended to me as the alternative. I have checked out Bowerbird and looks like they have a really comprehensive range - so thanks for the hot tip!! Will check Timberzoo more closely too, but hear theyre quite dear in the scheme of things. Might have to pack a lunch and get out to Bowerbird I think. Why is EVERYTHING in the Dandenongs?!?!?!?! Kindest thanks again - anyone else have good supplier recommendations?

Movement is very easy to control. It seems to generate as much fear as asbestos and it is just as unwarranted.

The trick is don't glue the messmate to the substrate. Screw it instead using pan head screws. And use slightly oversize screw holes in the substrate to allow the timber to shift around without damaging the substrate. The other trick is to make the the substrate smaller in width than the messmate - leave a gap between the edge piece and the substrate behind it - so if the messmate shrinks then the substrate won't lever the edge off.

Edging on the end grain is possibly the most concerning bit. However, I made a 60mm thick laminated chopping board out of Tas Oak in 1984 and I glued and nailed Tas Oak pieces on the end grain....to this day they remain in place despite over 25 years of constant use. I simply used Aquadere and small-ish nails in oversized holes in the cover strip. Might well work for you too.
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.