Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

(pic) Return on Investment - should I bother doing the kitchen?

Novice

Default (pic) Return on Investment - should I bother doing the kitchen?

Hi guys,

I am wanting to sell my unit soon. As you can see from the pic, the kitchen is ok but a bit 1990s (the pic is a bit distorted...I pasted together 3 pics so you could see the entire U-shape kitchen.

It bothers me that the stove is under the window and that the benchtops are a pinky-grey laminex. But will potential buyers really care?

If I relocated the stove (put in a ceramic cooktop, rangehood etc) and redid the benchtops would it really make that much difference to the sale price versus simply keeping the benchtops and existing layout and doing a simple touch-up like respraying my cupboards and retiling the splashback??

Depends on the people the property will be marketed to
    If the house is in the 300k price range it will mostlikley be someone that's either trying to get into the market
    Or depending on the house will want to redo more then just the kitchen.
    So I would bother

But say it's a 800k house and the rest of the house is modern besides the kitchen then it may be a good idea

When ever a kitchen and bathroom is newly renovated it makes the house easier to sell just be careful not to over capitalize

You kitchen doesn't look that bad I wouldn't bother if it was me as I don't think you will get the return

Novice

Thanks for the reply.....yeah, I'm mindful of overcapitalising. It's a 1970s unit complex but the inside of my unit looks "fresh". Not old but not super modern either. These types of units are bought by investors or people looking to get into the market.....mid 300s usually.

Quote Originally Posted by renhoekk View Post
    Thanks for the reply.....yeah, I'm mindful of overcapitalising. It's a 1970s unit complex but the inside of my unit looks "fresh". Not old but not super modern either. These types of units are bought by investors or people looking to get into the market.....mid 300s usually.
    basic 6 pack unit kitchen ,i wouldnt bother as the return will not be enough to warrant the extra costs associated with the reno
    kind regards
    tom armstrong
    www.kitcheninabox.com.au
    Flat Packed kitchens to the world

What the others have said its not worth it.

My brother in law spent a small fortune on a new kitchen and bathroom as he mistakenly thought as a real estate agent it would bring in the extra dollars he sold the house for $20k less than asking price and lost a bloody fortune and to add insult to injury he resold the property about 2 years later and the kitchen he put in had gone! Know your market.

7K Club Member

The kitchen looks perfectly useable now, which is what a lot of buyers will be happy with, and they can update to their personal liking down the track... i.e. they won't be forking out for a new kitchen they may not have chosen for themselves

G'day,

I wouldn't bother, with all you've mentioned like moving appliances, new tops and splashback and the appliances themselevs you'd do 5 grand easy. Coat of paint on the walls and ceiling, new blind on the window a good clean inside and out and de-clutter the benchtop space bang it on the market and gauge the response from the open for's.

Good Luck.