Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Power options - kitchen bench

Default Power options - kitchen bench

Hi all,
    Just signed up to a kitchen reno design we quite like.
    We're removing a wall and replacing that with a 2.5m approx bench with under drawers and (hopefully) manufactured stone benchtop with waterfall finish.

It's butted up against the pantry cupboard face at one end so I don't think it would look nice and retain its clean lines if I plonked a gpo on the pantry wall similar to that in the pic below....
    Whilst this bench is not the main work surface, I'd like to have a couple of outlets for 'stuff'.

There are no other services going to the bench, but it will have a microwave shelf and I'll hide a gpo in there for that.
    The pic below is a random net pic but gives the idea.

We intend to have a couple of pendant lights above and I was thinking about pendant outlets?

My wife also likes this concept but there is not going to be any convenient void behind the drawers, although there will in the microwave shelf.

It's a high set home so access for cabling is pretty straightforward under the floor.

Any ideas or advice?

Cheers
    Ralph

7K Club Member

I designed a tall "spices drawer" into our kitchen, and made it ~100mm short so it left a vertical cavity behind this drawer.

This concept (but very different cabinetry!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spice-drawer.jpg  

1K Club Member

How deep will your drawers actually be? I found in my old house, I had to route dishwasher pipes behind deep drawers - I simply shortened the top one (cutlery) by about 150mm and it gave plenty of room.
    It was a pain in the butt with the drawers being so deep anyway, as the cutlery insert wanted to slide back in it all the time, and even with a bit of timber across the rear to stop it, stuff still went into the back end of the drawer, which was hard to get to, due to the bench overhang. So it was a win-win to shorten the top drawer. That will give you enough room for those pop-up powerpoints (a 2 socket one). We have some 2 & 4 socket versions in some desks in one of our branch offices. They work pretty well, but you have to educate people to plug/unplug leads properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph1malph View Post
    Hi all,
    Just signed up to a kitchen reno design we quite like.
    We're removing a wall and replacing that with a 2.5m approx bench with under drawers and (hopefully) manufactured stone benchtop with waterfall finish.

It's butted up against the pantry cupboard face at one end so I don't think it would look nice and retain its clean lines if I plonked a gpo on the pantry wall similar to that in the pic below....
    Whilst this bench is not the main work surface, I'd like to have a couple of outlets for 'stuff'.

There are no other services going to the bench, but it will have a microwave shelf and I'll hide a gpo in there for that.
    The pic below is a random net pic but gives the idea.

We intend to have a couple of pendant lights above and I was thinking about pendant outlets?

My wife also likes this concept but there is not going to be any convenient void behind the drawers, although there will in the microwave shelf.

It's a high set home so access for cabling is pretty straightforward under the floor.

Any ideas or advice?

Cheers
    Ralph
    Ralph,
    Maybe fitted to the underside of the microwave cupboard?
    Regards,
    Blocker.

2K Club Member

Yep, underside to any above bench cupboard, on wall above splash but away from the sink, on side of waterfall (did this in last kitchen). This time I just deleted the islang one - all GPOs are on the bench along the wall.

I suspect the pull Down one will look a bit odd to most people, the pop up ones are a bit harder to install and require a drawer simply being short - the cabinetry isn’t a big issue.

2K Club Member

We have two of those pop ups.... One sits behind the microwave which isgood as they actually plug in, so a double GPO behind for the MW and the popup..easy..
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

How practical are those pop up? It seems to me that they would take a lot of debris in when up, and leak when down.
    The pendant powerpoint can be practical but will make the new kitchen look like an unfinished workshop.
    You could build powerpoints in the front of the cabinet where the top draw is, by making a custom front that is shorter on one or both sides.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You could build powerpoints in the front of the cabinet where the top draw is, by making a custom front that is shorter on one or both sides.
    We put 2 double GPOs above a set of drawers, using a fixed drawer front as the facing. This works well enough, but sometimes when there are a couple/few things plugged in the cords get in the way of the top drawer. No big deal, just a slight nuisance occasionally. I wouldn't do four points this close together again. One double at each end, or on each side, would be better.

Golden Member

Ive seen a GPO mounted INSIDE a (top) draw on the draw front itself. You open the draw to expose the GPO. The GPO itself was on a coiled flexi cable. This draw was directly below induction stove top and was handy for occasional use of stick blender, etc.

I thought also in mounting a GPO on the front of the draw and have enough cable in a channel next to the draw. Not sure how legal that may be.
    As always functionality and looks don't always go hand in hand. Sometimes kitchens are just some sort of trophy and don't get used very much so most speculation becomes redundant. I am sure the OP will be able to find a spot for a powerpoint or two
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Okies, I've received the concept CAD rendering from the company.

There are 3 places I'm considering for outlets red, green and blue.

The red and green would probably need to have stand offs as it may not be possible to flush mount them due to the stud.
    The blue are pop ups that descend into the microwave cavity, which will have a gpo internally anyways. I like this but of course it means extra cost of the pop ups and holes in the stone!

BTW, panel to the left side of the red is a door to that end of the pantry, swinging out. I'm putting gpo's in there for toaster, coffee machine etc.

Cheers
    Ralph
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails inked10a.jpg   22a.jpg  

7K Club Member

what will the red and green be useful for, considering the pop-ups are quite close, and have more in the pantry? (I'd try to avoid standoffs if you are going for a sleek look)

Golden Member

go the red one. We've got them in a 'similar' position in our kitchen and they are fine there for reach/usability. By the looks of it it shouldnt require a stand-off. Its just a nib wall, s should be about to cut out enough of the stud to all a GPO. Or double stud it and the front stud is docked off around where the GPO will be - ie the additional stud is only there to bring plasterboard into final position.
    img_9189.jpg

2K Club Member

You don’t need them. Essentially your pantry is going to be an appliance cupboard for the bit over the benchtop , just put a power point in there close to the hinge point, so you swing it open, and there you go, electricity!

maybe even a horizontal mount inside the pantry, though for electrical requirements it might need to be raised above bench height slightly

position red is too long a reach to put in a plug because it’s in a corner, but I’m often wrong

Thanks all!
    Having discussed options with the better half, as well as you good folk here, we are close to a decision that actually I think, will work pretty well.

We do have to re position 2 fan switches and two light switches and we've decided to place those around the corner from the red position on the wall.
    We'll then put a double or quad inside the pantry on the same wall.

A builder friend then suggested that a slim line single or double a bit higher than the green position, but still below the bench would provide flexibility to be able to plug in vacuums, roombas etc without being intrusive.

We'll dispense with the blue jobbies.

I reckon that's a plan!

Cheers
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by ChocDog View Post
    go the red one. We've got them in a 'similar' position in our kitchen and they are fine there for reach/usability. By the looks of it it shouldnt require a stand-off. Its just a nib wall, s should be about to cut out enough of the stud to all a GPO. Or double stud it and the front stud is docked off around where the GPO will be - ie the additional stud is only there to bring plasterboard into final position.
    It's actually the last 600mm of the wall being removed. Not load bearing for structure, but provides ceiling stability so we'll actually be installing a beam or trimmer on the upper side of the truss.
    Cheers

do I spy w my little eye a pair of TH Brown stools?

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by toooldforthis View Post
    do I spy w my little eye a pair of TH Brown stools?
    Indeed you do! I'm chasing another one now as, when I bought these 2, I didn't originally consider the future rugrat. And he keeps steeling mine... Problem is they pop up very rarely. And even more rarely as singles. Plus I thought they wanted drug money for them when I bought these, but they've gone up even more now... They have started to remake them again (The Brown family are "involved") but I need an original to suit our current ones. Got one to sell??? ;-)

Indeed you do! I'm chasing another one now as, when I bought these 2, I didn't originally consider the future rugrat. And he keeps steeling mine... Problem is they pop up very rarely. And even more rarely as singles. Plus I thought they wanted drug money for them when I bought these, but they've gone up even more now... They have started to remake them again (The Brown family are "involved") but I need an original to suit our current ones. Got one to sell??? ;-)
    there's a few on scumtree - prices all over the shop.
    you could try a third stool similar but different? they made one without the back support.

I have sputniks:
    sputnik-chairs.jpg