Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

Rangehood lights turn on and off intermittently

Lightbulb Rangehood lights turn on and off intermittently

We have a Technika CHEM52C9S-2 rangehood with LED lights for almost four years. One day the LEDs just turn off and on by itself at random and sometimes I can see that it's just barely lit. The only way to force it to turn on is by quickly running through the different fan speeds and praying it stays on. Usually it stays on for a few seconds but the on-off-dim scenario happens again.

I'm thinking if it's the LEDs then it should not anymore turn on in the first place. Next culprit would be the LED transformer/driver that provides power to it. On second thought, why would the LEDs sometimes turn on if I smash the buttons on the switches? Is it possibly loose connections but highly unlikely as it's a non moving mechanism.

Any thoughts?

4K Club Member
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    I remember seeing that Whirlpool thread before. By the sound of it, they started out using halogen lights, changed to LEDs at some point, and maybe used different LEDs over time. I'd look to see if anything is written on the LED units and/or on the driver/transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    I have thought of that as well. I'm just thinking of buying one for now and do a trial and error on which LED is busted. Worse, both can be faulty so I need to buy another one plus postage. Worst, they're all ok and it turns out I need to buy the LED driver/transformer.

I'll probably look for a way to test the LEDs and the driver for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozcar View Post
    I remember seeing that Whirlpool thread before. By the sound of it, they started out using halogen lights, changed to LEDs at some point, and maybe used different LEDs over time. I'd look to see if anything is written on the LED units and/or on the driver/transformer.
    The markings on the driver/transformer are:
    MODEL: WELD-03035ACC
    PRI: 220-240V~50/60Hz
    SEC: 3-10VDC 0.35A 1-3W

The markings on the LED are:
    Model: AD-0301
    DC350mA.Max 1W
    [IMG]