Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

re-insulating

Default re-insulating

am redoing kitchen.pulled all the old drywall of the walls and tore out all the old insulation(or lack thereof)all i see know is bare walls and i can see the shiplap on the exterior walls from the inside.it used to have cardboard on the shiplap and then insulation.what should i do with it know.i want to use some sort of batt insulation that i can do myself but wondering if i should put some sort of paper against the shiplap before i insulate.what kind of batt is good for this application.thanks for the help

3K Club Member

It's not ideal to do this from the inside because sisalation is supposed to be on the outside of the studs covering them completely. You can put sisalation in by cutting it to fit inside the stud walls, stapling it towards the outer face/edge of the studs. If you really want to you can also get some sisalation tape and seal each section to the side of studs/noggings. Then put your insulation in. The difference will be that the outside edge of stud will not be protected/covered/create a full seal by sisalation. This is how we did our house a few years ago and it has been very effective, although I can't tell you how much more or less effective it would be if done the correct way. If your weatherboards are in need of replacement soon then that would be the better time to do it.

Default insulation

the exterior on the house has already been done.the exterior side of the shiplap has been papered and vinyl sided.am wondering if i should put some sort of cardboard or plastic on the inside of the dshiplap before i put insulation in with vapor barrier and drywall.what kind of batt insulation should i use for this purpose?.thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bangon61 View Post
    the exterior on the house has already been done.the exterior side of the shiplap has been papered and vinyl sided.am wondering if i should put some sort of cardboard or plastic on the inside of the dshiplap before i put insulation in with vapor barrier and drywall.what kind of batt insulation should i use for this purpose?.thanks
    There is a stiffened batt made for walls. Boral (amongst others) make in their case a specific rockwool product generally it will be R2.0 I would probably go down the path of the earlier recomendation of applying sisalation against the shiplap. If the area is well protected by a veranda then there is not much of an issue, if it is a wall that gets a lot of driving rain I would go to a fair bit of trouble to staple or seal in a way that protects the batt from moisture if there is no previous barrier. It sounds as though there is a barrier in place between the shiplap and cladding which would negate placing a second barrier.

Old Chippy 6K

Unless I am mistaken the OP is from British Columbia - advice on insulation needs to be location specific and Canada is greatly different to any Oz experience (in climate and building construction methods and materials). A good resource for info there is here: GreenBuildingAdvisor.com | Designing, Building and Remodeling Green Homes and more tech stuff here: Building Science Information

Adding plastic as suggested is a real no-no - you really need to know all about vapour & water planes and how that might interact with your particular structure. Australia's cool climates which have low relative humidity are way different. OP needs to find a local forum or get local advice from google eg:Insulating Your House | CMHC or Energy Services - Home Energy Assessments - Energy Audits - Certified Energy Advisor - Victoria BC
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Unless I am mistaken the OP is from British Columbia - advice on insulation needs to be location specific and Canada is greatly different to any Oz experience (in climate and building construction methods and materials). A good resource for info there is here: GreenBuildingAdvisor.com | Designing, Building and Remodeling Green Homes and more tech stuff here: Building Science Information

Adding plastic as suggested is a real no-no - you really need to know all about vapour & water planes and how that might interact with your particular structure. Australia's cool climates which have low relative humidity are way different. OP needs to find a local forum or get local advice from google eg: Home Insulation Tips, Victoria BC

Bugger, it is a totally different world of both product and regulation up there.