Hire the best Kitchen Renovator

splashbacks

ajm
    Golden Member

Default splashbacks

folks, just coming up to the splashbacks and benchtops in our new kitchen.

With regard to splashbacks.

• Is glass better than acrylic? by better, I mean easier to clean, easier to install, etc.
    • What do you do with joins? We have one wall 3710mm and seem to be able to find nothing that length. Any suggestions?
    • Also, if going with glass, how do you hide the gobs of silicon used to attach to the wall?
    • does the wall need to be perfectly painted and plastered or can I leave the plastering out (please let this be the case) for anything behind the splashback?

Cheers, ajm

• Is glass better than acrylic? by better, I mean easier to clean, easier to install, etc.

Yes ... but more expensive

• What do you do with joins? We have one wall 3710mm and seem to be able to find nothing that length. Any suggestions?

Not sure what the limit is but I reckon 3.7m from a glass supplier should be possible. Otherwise they dio a silicone butt joint

• Also, if going with glass, how do you hide the gobs of silicon used to attach to the wall?

The back of the glass is painted

• does the wall need to be perfectly painted and plastered or can I leave the plastering out (please let this be the case) for anything behind the splashback?

Roughly plastered ... they silicone it to the plaster

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post

Cheers, ajm
    Yes glass is better, easier to install.

Butt joins are the norm, you can pay extra for shoulder cuts usually about $50 a cut to avoid a join here and there.

Paint is on the back of the glass then the silicone, some colours show a shadow for a few days/weeks but they fade away.

Yes you need a sound flat wall behind. Better to spend a few hours patching the walls behind the glass and a coat of sealer, variations in the wall behind can show through with some colours.

You also need fire proof board behind the hot plate if it's gas.
    I had a life, but my job ate it...

I would think acrylic is easier than glass to install but can't have it behind a hob.
    Hard to imagine standard plasterboard/villaboard behind glass catching fire, can safety glass shatter with too much heat?

DIY acrylic is probably easier on a single run with no joins hard to get flat though, glass for everything else. The cut joins on acrylic look average without a lot of work.
    I had a life, but my job ate it...

Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post

Cheers, ajm
    What about tiles? I'm in the same boat, thinking about my kitchen and laundry splashback. Subway tiles or some funky mosaics (or mixed) would do the job even better than glass and probably end up cheaper. I have about 10 m2 of splashback to worry about.

Large format polished granite tiles (600x300) look really smart with just vertical lines, I prefer the look to glass.

Default splashbacks

Quote Originally Posted by barnes View Post
    What about tiles? I'm in the same boat, thinking about my kitchen and laundry splashback. Subway tiles or some funky mosaics (or mixed) would do the job even better than glass and probably end up cheaper. I have about 10 m2 of splashback to worry about.
    Tiles are making a bit of a comeback, subway is good. I guess it depends on the look you are going for and if you value not having to clean groute.

2K Club Member

We do lots of kichens with our renos, usually 8-10 at a time and have been using acrylic splashbacks..while they come in many colours are easy to cut, dont crack and look good, they can be a pain.. Even with electric cooktops we are finding within a year they are warping.. we have gone back to tiles..

Default splashbacks

Quote Originally Posted by sol381 View Post
    We do lots of kichens with our renos, usually 8-10 at a time and have been using acrylic splashbacks..while they come in many colours are easy to cut, dont crack and look good, they can be a pain.. Even with electric cooktops we are finding within a year they are warping.. we have gone back to tiles..
    I've used acrylic in a Laundry... I wouldn't put it in a kitchen though.

2K Club Member

yeah great in the laundry...ive given up on the kitchens.. some are good some not.. gas cooktop is a def nono.. electric can be ok but the pots get really hot obviously and that causes warping.

3K Club Member

We've done tiles for splashbacks in our kitchens before. Never again.

The biggest problem is the grout. It takes on the 'splashes' from the cooking stains and looks rubbish after a while. Tiles subject to heat and cold will eventually get hairline cracks and the grout will also crack and deteriorate. Of course, you can replace the grout.

With a granite countertop, we went with the same stone for splashback. It's been there since 2000 and still looks good as new. Our other kitchen has a glass splashback locally made. Cheaper than granite, looks good, and is super easy to clean.

Those who want to ignore the science are increasingly alone. They are on their own shrinking island.

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post

The biggest problem is the grout. It takes on the 'splashes' from the cooking stains and looks rubbish after a while. Tiles subject to heat and cold will eventually get hairline cracks and the grout will also crack and deteriorate. Of course, you can replace the grout.

With a granite countertop, we went with the same stone for splashback. It's been there since 2000 and still looks good as new. Our other kitchen has a glass splashback locally made. Cheaper than granite, looks good, and is super easy to clean.
    With what I suggested you don't need grout, leave it out. I just did mine with black granite (600x300) adhered with black silicone...black to seal the back of the micro groove, not flush. Cost, far cheaper than glass.

Cracked tiles!!?? Stainless steel behind that cooking area.

A lot depends on the color of the grout.
    If it's white - yes it's a problem, if it's dark - it's ok.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    With what I suggested you don't need grout, leave it out. I just did mine with black granite (600x300) adhered with black silicone...black to seal the back of the micro groove, not flush. Cost, far cheaper than glass.

Cracked tiles!!?? Stainless steel behind that cooking area.
    So gaps between the tiles but no grout? Are they actual black granite, if so why cut them into tiles? Cheaper than glass doesn't make it better. Costs a lot to put in a good kitchen, can't understand the focus on scrimping on the splashbacks.

SS behind the cooking area. Hmm. This is a house, not a commercial kitchen. Not a fan...

Those who want to ignore the science are increasingly alone. They are on their own shrinking island.

So gaps between the tiles but no grout? Are they actual black granite, if so why cut them into tiles? Cheaper than glass doesn't make it better. Costs a lot to put in a good kitchen, can't understand the focus on scrimping on the splashbacks.

SS behind the cooking area. Hmm. This is a house, not a commercial kitchen. Not a fan...
    These are granite tiles already 300x600. I did not say that that being cheaper than glass made it better, just highlighting the cost benefit. To me glass can look boring and old hat, usually done in pale colours and especially bad if not done in starfire type glass. My gaps aren't a problem with an inconspicuous complete silicone seal, I don't like grout probably the same reasons you don't like tiles. As I say, there are no horizontal lines all being vertical, it looks smart, not a 'scrimped' look at all. As for s/s it is not uncommon for acrylic splashbacks to have it behind the cooktop. Acrylic is not my choice though.