Hire the best TV Repairers

We got a new toy today

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    4K Club Member

Default We got a new toy today

So why not overkill.
    I was looking at plate amps and/or a decent stereo amp to add some deep Ooomph to go with the newish H/T amp.
    The amp I have is only 200 watts per channel and that's not quite enough for subwoofer use.
    I was asking a question on another forum about an amp I was looking at on eBay and somebody pointed me in a different direction.
    Cecile and I got a decent S/H Yamaha for $450- posted to our door via FaceBay
    I suppose 2 kilowatts might be enough
    An older model but still good enough
    Yamaha P7000s
    Now of course I need to build some better speakers to handle that amount of power and I will as soon as the current ones blow up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2061.jpg  
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

7K Club Member

I imagine Cecile is over the Moon about this

The neighbours will be too, once it is all hooked up. )

Very nice Ted!

Golden Member

Wow, that's a serious friggin amp
    and a whopping 12 kilo's. You must have some serious speakers on the wish list for that to drive.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-xxKMcw...ha-P7000S.html

Makes my old vintage 1988 Kenwood KM107 for the domestic market look like a kids play toy!
    https://www.audio-high-store.com/kenwood-km-107/

Community Moderator

I suppose it is cheaper than getting hearing aids.

4K Club Member

I've got a KM 107 in for repair at the moment, the repair might be as costly as buying this amp.
    Same feller just repaired my Inkel.
    Cost me $80- to replace a half dozen $0:07 parts that had died after 40 years, but I'd never have found the small dried out and dead circuit capacitors.
    The Inkel is like two KM 107s sharing a chassis and weigh close to 20 kilos.

I can't use the big drivers I want to use because of size restraints so thinking about a half dozen of these cheap sub drivers
    SD315A-88 12" DVC Subwoofer 4 Ohm - Dayton Audio
    Wire as 16Ohms and run three aside in parallel
    Cheap as buying two of these
    RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer 4+4 Ohm - Dayton Audio

4K Club Member

Bart I have 2 Kenwood L-07M running the tops in my stereo.
    https://www.audio-high-store.com/kenwood-l-07m/

Those are the best amps I've ever owned and sound sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I suppose it is cheaper than getting hearing aids.
    Ha ha, I think hearing aids expenditure will come after.
    Science is never settled,
    it advances one funeral at the time.
    Max Planck

4K Club Member

Power and SPL are not necessarily related, we can deal with very short bursts of high SPL and in movies that is what gives impact, at bass frequencies the difference between 100 watts and 1000watts is only 3dB after all. Even at full power it won't be as loud as the crack of an SLR 200mm from your ears, which is where my hearing loss comes from.

4K Club Member

The difference between 100W and 1000W is 10dB, nominally considered twice as loud; 100W +3db would be 200W.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

4K Club Member

You are correct John. I answered from memory and not my tables. But you do need 115dB for the LFE channels and that takes a lot of power, as most subwoofers are not all that efficient and you only get +3dB running stereo subs.
    Our mains L/R/C do 105dB but they are accepting just over 100w to do so.

Community Moderator

Shame on you a non approved Australian product.

4K Club Member

You'll have to explain that one. None of these were made here and a plug is a plug is a plug

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    You'll have to explain that one. None of these were made here and a plug is a plug is a plug
    If it was Australian approved it would have at least an Australian approved plug top, however an Australian plug top doesn't mean it is approved.

4K Club Member

All the 230/240 V 60Hz units are the same, I really don't mind not paying the Australia Tax.

7K Club Member

We do this for, of all things, an electric hand held beater

4K Club Member

If it was Australian approved it would have at least an Australian approved plug top,
    This is a model imported and distributed by Yamaha Australia, the only difference with a grey import is the plug.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    This is a model imported and distributed by Yamaha Australia, the only difference with a grey import is the plug.
    If that is the case and it is approved (which I doubt) it should have an Australian plug.

.... I really don't mind not paying the Australia Tax.
    Cecile!

4K Club Member

If that is the case and it is approved (which I doubt) it should have an Australian plug.
    Seriously the only difference is a little sticker on the back.
    Thousands of these here in Oz, maybe hundreds of thousands if you count back 20 years, if it makes you feel better I'll get the plug changed by my repair feller or my sparky rather than DIY it.

Community Moderator

Seriously the only difference is a little sticker on the back.
    Thousands of these here in Oz, maybe hundreds of thousands if you count back 20 years, if it makes you feel better I'll get the plug changed by my repair feller or my sparky rather than DIY it.
    I missed your original post in you got it SH via Facebay (whatever that is). I assumed it was sold through a retail outlet who would never sell non certificated equipment.
    I'm feeling OK whether you change the plug or not I was just making an observation.

4K Club Member

Obviously the unit in question is a grey import, hence the wrong plug, however that does not mean the model is not approved for sale in Australia. The world is an, ahem, world market, and Yamaha is a manufacturer of premium professional audio products worldwide and as such would normally homologate products across all intended markets, of which Australia is a significant one. Of all of the companies that sell electrical goods in Australia one of the last of would suspect of dodgy compliance is Yamaha.

4K Club Member

Facebay is what a lot of people call the Facebook market place. Next time I'll emphasize Second hand by bolding the S/H [ S/H ] and try and reduce the confusion.

Technically it may be supposed to have a 15A plug but it must be grounded, unlike the little travel adaptor that came with the unit

Community Moderator

Of all of the companies that sell electrical goods in Australia one of the last of would suspect of dodgy compliance is Yamaha.
    Is that right, maybe it is not the genuine article.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...eit/index.html

Community Moderator

Facebay is what a lot of people call the Facebook market place. Next time I'll emphasize Second hand by bolding the S/H [ S/H ] and try and reduce the confusion.
    You don't have to do that just because I never read the post properly.
    Never heard Marketplace called that before.

Golden Member

....still a pretty good buy at $450.

4K Club Member

I'll ask my guy to check it out in person. Paid via PayPal so I can get a refund if needs be because it does look at second glance to have a toroidal PSU and not the switch-mode it's supposed to have.
    Caveat Emptor and why I use PayPal

4K Club Member

Is that right, maybe it is not the genuine article.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...eit/index.html
    I suspect you are correct Bros, the front panel screws appear to be in the wrong place and the power LED is red, not green. Although aware of the crappy Chonda ripoffs of Honda motors everywhere, I had no idea such sophisticated fakes were being made in electronics.

Moondog, who knows what the thing is really rated at. It probably isn't going to be stable driving a low impedance load. I suggest you try to return the unit to the seller for a refund and threaten to report them if they don't comply.

Community Moderator

I'll ask my guy to check it out in person. Paid via PayPal so I can get a refund if needs be because it does look at second glance to have a toroidal PSU and not the switch-mode it's supposed to have.
    Caveat Emptor and why I use PayPal
    Not much use beating yourself up as everyone who buys on line ends up knowingly or unknowingly buying fakes. I now have two fake Makita batteries and some time back I bought a small battery charger to charge the battery for a torch knowing it to probably be a fake..

I use them with some caution in that I never leave them powered up overnight or unattended. If they need to be powered up overnight eg phone and Ipad charger I go and pay the money from a retailer with a store front.

You will have a case if you have kept the images and it is not obvious that it is fake, the big clue is the plugtop.

I suppose the seller realized it was not genuine and the easiest thing for him to do was get rid of it.

Some vigilant find there Bros and very sorry for you Moondog. With a toroidal it would be very heavy compared to switch mode, have you weighed the amp as well.
    I am surprised like John that fake audio has reached such sophistication. I remember long back in the '70's a friend got stung by someone driving around with fake speakers and just asking anyone if they want a great deal.

4K Club Member

With PayPal we may be able to get our money back.
    I have contacted both Yamaha Australia and BorderForce
    Seller hasn't responded but still selling what appears to be the same item, we'll see.
    If we get a refund there is no way we'll allow the person to keep selling knock-offs by returning the item, I'll ask the feller who repairs stuff to look at it. If safe and usable it may still work out, he only charges $80- to open up and test quickly for major problems

If you know it has a toroidal then you know it s a knock-off and just wait it out and see if you get a refund, why waste $80 to find out something you can already prove. It's not worth keeping as a knock-off as you have no idea of it's reliability or quality of performance and your $80 guy may not either. For me the price paid is too much for what it may end up being.

Your pic isn't clear but does the label say 7600s and...
    Why haven't you weighed it?

Community Moderator

I suspect you are correct Bros, the front panel screws appear to be in the wrong place and the power LED is red, not green. Although aware of the crappy Chonda ripoffs of Honda motors everywhere, I had no idea such sophisticated fakes were being made in electronics.
    If a product has a good reputation and is sold world wide the grubs in China see a market for their fakes.
    Yamaha sound equipment, Makita Batteries, Computer software, Andersen plugs and I'm sure the list goes on.

Community Moderator

With PayPal we may be able to get our money back.
    I had an email from PayPal a while back and they were changing the way sellers get their money. I never read it as I thought when I next sell something I will check it out. In the past they held the money back from the seller to see there were any chargebacks before releasing it.

4K Club Member

If we get a refund I may be able to keep the unit if BorderForce don't confiscate the unit.
    That is when I'd get Rob to look at the unit, if safe and usable I'd use it, I'd just scratch off the Yamaha logo etc

Assuming its from the add that is still up on the book of faces then the carton says that it is 20Kg, that would include packaging but I dont expect the packaging to be 8Kg.
    Also has printed on the back panel "Made *****onesia" ???, assume Indonesia.

Good to have PayPal to fall back on, but unsure how it will play out in this case. Would not be opening or testing at all, if its obvious from the outside start the Paypal claim straight away and if your Paypal is linked to a credit card ask your bank for that payment to be held as well.

Community Moderator

If we get a refund I may be able to keep the unit if BorderForce don't confiscate the unit.
    That is when I'd get Rob to look at the unit, if safe and usable I'd use it, I'd just scratch off the Yamaha logo etc
    Years ago I had a chargeback through PayPal that misrepresented an article by saying there was a cash back offer. When I went to get this offer I found it had expired a week before I bought.
    I lodged a dispute and got my money back but the seller never wanted the article back. The ball for return is in their court.

4K Club Member

We started the PayPal claim as soon as the seller failed to respond to our request for a total and immediate refund.
    The price isn't too cheap for the unit if genuine and used tho as all the new amps seem to come with DSP included and they have become much lighter very quickly, and with band gear lighter is almost always better and the turn-over is high.
    I'll use the old Dinosaur Inkel while we wait; even if it is massively under-powered for the need, we'll just keep the volume to a more moderate level, the Inkel can't be used on 4R loads tho so the drivers will get wired in series for a 16R load

Community Moderator

We started the PayPal claim as soon as the seller failed to respond to our request for a total and immediate refund.
    To be fair on the seller maybe he may have never known it was a fake as I assume it is a private seller but if like I said before he realized it was a fake and tried to unload it, the big sellers on ebay know as they import the junk.

I wouldn't be game to unload something with a plugtop like that on the Australian market

1K Club Member

Oh, it's fake all right. He changed is FB name as soon as Ted questioned him and argued later on that the item was working and he does not do refunds. Plus, there are others still for sale, as well as a variety of other electronic items. The item weighs 20kg (printed on the box) and the real deal is 12kg according to the Yamaha website. Image below from Yamaha website, ours is the one on the right.

I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

Community Moderator

I withdrawn my comment as he did know it was fake.

Is there a copy of the ad you cn put up, wondering if the model number in the first photo being 7600, not 7000!

4K Club Member

Definitely P7000S and it's still on Farcebook marketplace here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6-7c48c7e88dca

7K Club Member

Definitely P7000S and it's still on Farcebook marketplace here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6-7c48c7e88dca
    That one is advertised as New

7K Club Member

I've only disputed PayPal purchases (and received refunds) for sellers that do not deliver. The sellers basically disappeared/were non-responsive.

Interested to see how it goes for delivered goods

Best of luck

Does the Zuckerplace have a report seller or is it a 'no-holds barred' site!

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Does the Zuckerplace have a report seller or is it a 'no-holds barred' site!
    https://www.facebook.com/help/962020680598166

Relevant to this discussion.

4K Club Member

We are waiting on both the Federal police and Border Force to get back to us but we will be reporting the seller

Community Moderator

How much would you pay for the genuine article?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast