Hire the best Flooring Expert

After info about Northern Box timber species for flooring and janka rating?

Novice

Default After info about Northern Box timber species for flooring and janka rating?

Hi all, I have been shown a engineered flooring product in the Northern Box species. The colour is great, but a quick check on the net and there is conflicting janka ratings. I believe it might also be known as Nyatoh or Nyotah? Found janka ratings for this from 5.3 to 9.5... big difference, so not sure which is correct.. anyone know?

Anyone know of any other species in this type of colour range that might have a better janka rating? After mid tones without too much variation. I've heard the Northern Box is reasonably uniform.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

if you are buying soild timber it will be the harder type, the softer one is used in enginered flooring.

we used the soild a few years back turned out nice, there is some issues with some floor coatings and nth box but nothing a pro can advise you on.

i used the softer one in my mum's place as an enginered floor, (cheap type) and it was a bit soft and marked easy.

Apprentice (new member)

lol lay a proper box floor and have it sanded and polished,looks much better,the plus side to this is you can also resand it years down the track if it gets damaged, i,ve never really had and coating issues with them,unless it moves in the tongue and groove.

Novice

thanks for your replies... oh this is so confusing.... I rang the company today and they said their Northern box engineered flooring is Indonesian and has a janka rating of 11-12... should I believe this??

I would much prefer the solid product sanded on site, however, its for laying over tiles, and the installation professional we are dealing with is not keen on an overlay product due to the potential instability issues. Also, we would have to use the 12mm overlay as there isn't enough height allowance for 19mm which is his preference. If we really wanted the 12mm solid overlay he said it would need to be nailed to ply. More labor and costs.

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

if using 12mm T&G either have to lay on ply or direct stick to slab, so you would need to pull up the tiles and level the slab with ardit.