Hire the best Flooring Expert

Appropriate species of timber for flooring in an old Sydney 1880's worker's cottage

Apprentice (new member)

Default Appropriate species of timber for flooring in an old Sydney 1880's worker's cottage

I've asked a few question on Renovate Forum but rarely get a reply for some reason. I've possibly posted in the wrong area or not asked clearly enough.
    I thought I'd try asking a few of Questions here and see if anyone can offer advice:
    Q1:
    I need to sell aproximately 230L/metres of 100-140-year-old 6 inch coverage Baltic pine. I have both 19mm as well as 21mm or 22mm (I'm not so good at measuring with my crappy cm tape so not sure which it is).
    I'm interested to know what a fair asking price would be?

Q2:
    I need to install 54 sq metres of flooring in the 4 original rooms of my sandstock worker's cottage in Sydney.
    I want to get as close to 150mm as possible and use a timber that will be hard enough and resistant to problems as well as within my (virtually non-existent) budget.
    Select grade 130mm x 19mm Southern Beech has been suggested as the cheapest option at $3000 plus another $3400 to install, sand and polish.
    Any thoughts about that timber or an alternative option?

Q3: I asked the question below earlier but probably not in the correct area and received one reply. Just to give a history of my thinking, and make sure I'm not making the wrong decision about new boards:

Hello lovers of old things and new,

I need to pull up the flooring in my house to examine and attend to the bearers, joists and piers and then install sub-floor ventilation (because doing that while the sub-floor is expose seems sensible).

I need advice on flooring and any other helpful tips would be appreciated.

The house is a sandstock brick worker's cottage. I've removed most of the crappy floating floor. One 3.3 x 3.4 bedroom has the original 150 mm (or maybe 160mm) Baltic Pine sitting on bearers and joists. Two of the Rooms are covered with yellow tongue. They are 3.75 x 3.75 and 3.75 x 3.65. The fourth room, which is 4.25 x 3.4 has yellow tongue and vinyl tiles over that. There is a possibility there are some floorboards intact under the yellow tongue and tiles.

I also have 230 lineal metres of 6 inch reclaimed (100-140 year old) baltic pine floors in need of restoration. I would love to use them in my house but I don't have any ability to do any restoration myself and so that is unlikely.

It has been suggested to me that I should sell the reclaimed boards and the ones in the house and put in new 130mm wide floorboards once the bearers joist piers etc are repaired. I want to find flooring that will match the character of the house and I hate yellow tongue but everyone tells me these days floorboards are laid onto yellow tongue.

What species is recommended? I need to strike a balance between romanticism, pragmatics and a nod to aesthetics.
    And is yellow tongue really necessary?

Another possibility is to re-lay the 13 sq metres of boards in the bedroom and have new 130mm boards in the other 3 rooms.

What are others' thoughts and experiences?

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by debtorsprison View Post
    I've asked a few question on Renovate Forum but rarely get a reply for some reason. I've possibly posted in the wrong area or not asked clearly enough.
    I thought I'd try asking a few of Questions here and see if anyone can offer advice:
    Q1:
    I need to sell aproximately 230L/metres of 100-140-year-old 6 inch coverage Baltic pine. I have both 19mm as well as 21mm or 22mm (I'm not so good at measuring with my crappy cm tape so not sure which it is).
    I'm interested to know what a fair asking price would be?
    As for relieving no answer it could be due to a number of reasons.
    1 The question has been asked before and the poster hasn’t bothered to search the site.
    2 The question could be beyond the pay scale of the members and they just don’t know.
    3 The request could be to long.

As for the asking price, well it’s like anything it is only worth what the buyer wants to pay no matter how much it matters to the seller. Price it to high and you will get no offers, to low and you will get buyers wanting to argue it down in price.
    My advice is to spend time on FB market place and Gumtree and you should get an idea but remember it will someone who is renovating so the market will be small.
    Remember when posting on line use plenty of photos in good sunlight and include a copy of the tape measuring the boards so the potential buyer is in no doubt what you are selling.

Spotted gum and forget the particleboard.
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

Apprentice (new member)

Thank you, and apologies if I offended by saying I hadn't received replies. I did say I had probably not navigated the site correctly.