Hire the best Flooring Expert

Building up floor level for engineered timber

Default Building up floor level for engineered timber

Hi folks,
    We are going to lay engineered timber over our whole place, over a variety of flooring. It is all pretty well level and will need just a little filling and smoothing to do this.

One area of about 13 square meters - part of a bedroom and a walk in robe is still at concrete level and needs to come up 10mm to match all of the existing. Not sure how to best to this:
    • Considering laying 10mm Magnesium/compressed cement sheets to do this, but not sure about fixing to the existing concrete - probably gluing...
    • Build floor with levelling compound but not sure if this is cost effective or the best thing to do. At only 10mm I think a screed will crack and floor self leveller will run to over $500.
    • other?

Haven't committed to any method yet, but the voice of experience would be most appreciated.....

NZC

If it was me I would be using an Ardex floor leveller and the correct primer/sealer. Wont be cheap but it will never move. If memory serves I think Ardex K12 is about right for a 10mm thickness.

2K Club Member

I've used fibre cement nailed down to take up the majority then used leveller to finish it off. Leveller is expensive but gives the best floor finish and will last (depending on quality). AFS is good for advice as to which one to use

Thank you for that. If I was to use fibre cement over concrete, how best to fix it? Is glueing down an option? Who is AFS?
    To go leveller, what is most cost effective?

2K Club Member

Sorry, didn't see concrete, you can use ardex 009 for concrete which is circa $25 a bag I think , save heaps of time versus trying to use other materials. Timber floors are different because it needs to be a flexible leveller which cost twice or 3 times as much.

Might be k120 now rather than 009, give Australian flooring supplies in ur town a call (AFS) for pricing.

Golden Member

If it's a nice flat and even 10mm you need you could buy some marine ply and glue that to the concrete.
    otherwise self levelling compound, the cheap ones are good for concrete. Just lay some little batten strips down first about 1 metre apart which you carefully level with the finished height you want then mix the compound and pour it between the battens and smooth it off with a straight edge.

JB1
    1K Club Member

No need spend on marine ply, just normal ply will do.

-----------------------------------

Done it!
    used 12 bags of leveller plus some primer and it all seemed to work out. Hardening up nicely and The finish is not bad.
    I was tempted to go down the cement sheet or plywood idea, but I am paranoid about drumming. The leveller won't do this and was a lot quicker.
    I didn't like the cost, but The outcome is very good.
    Thank you for all of the advice, really appreciate being able to access all of you experience.

img_1735.jpg