Hire the best Flooring Expert

Cheap floor for large area

Apprentice (new member)

Default Cheap floor for large area

Howdy.

I have a large basement/warehouse which needs a more aesthetically pleasing floor than the current painted brick tile one.

I'd welcome suggestions on what might be very economical, but still cool.

The space has an industrial vibe and is around 150 sqm.

The current floor is in good condition, but just to complicate things slopes markedly from the back of the house to the front.

I've considered pouring concrete over the tiles, doing some sort of plywood floor, and even using fibre cement sheets, but assume with the slope I'd need to level the whole thing out somehow and have a step down.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lair-1.jpg  

Hammer Head - 1K Club Member

Cool place

4K Club Member

Personally I love those floors, just crying out for lots of kangaroo and possum skin rugs
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

I think at 150 m2 any option will cost you loads to cover unless you go to a carpet place and stitch loads of coloured off cuts together? I like the cow hide option...Tiles are cold but easy to keep clean and the hides would work well.

What is the space used for?

1) more rugs
    and
    2) maybe some raised, say 150mm, timber decks/platforms for particular areas? you could have different sizes and move them around when bored? build them out of recycled timber to match the industrial feel.

Polished concrete would be an option.
    TM

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the advice so far. My first thought was concrete, but slightly rougher. But it is very expensive. You can get toppings like PanDomo PANDOMO Floor-Product Information which can be applied over tiles, but it isn't cheap either at 120 sqm, and that's without levelling the floor.

The space shown in the pic is currently used for my lair for listening to music, smoking and watching movies. So it is a bit of an extravagance. There is an equally large area behind it split into various smaller spaces that is being used for nothing more than storage, but which we want to use as a self-contained but still funky apartment.

lair.jpg

I had also been strongly considering the moveable platform idea mentioned above using plywood on casters and will investigate that further.

I forgot to mention that there is a chance my partner will make us sell (she thinks it is too noisy) so anything I do has to be cheap enough not to over-capitalize.

The downside of having such a big space is how much it costs to tart it up.

I'd like to keep the cost as close as possible to $50 sqm.

Keep 'em coming.

Looks like an artists studio...Can you use it as an extension of your work?

Moving on with the pallet idea why not screen some off with some movable shelving that is over 2.4m tall. You can build it from ply and oil it for a cool modernist look.

Make different configurations like boxes, boxes on boxes, cubes, angles, horizontal and vertical only options. Even a climbing wall )

You can even make some up to 700-800 high platforms like a kitchen island but build a glass case around for a cool looking reptile enclose or fish tank setup?

That way you can create rooms and areas but still see through. This also ensures nothing is fixed in one place so you can add or change your floor plan according to your mood or the event you have....You put some really cool statues or art works or records or even loads of books but add colour...

If you have in ground power points then why not add some down lights to your shelving to create a wicked feel at night time??

Now that wont cost the earth but will look cool and your options are endless!!!! You can use old pallets and get a drill attachment from Bunnings that will remove some timber down to the grain to give the timber that weathered look. this wont work on plywood but you can score pallets for free or $5 each...

What a fun project