Hire the best Flooring Expert

clear poly floor finish

Apprentice (new member)

Default clear poly floor finish

Hi Guys!

I need some help choosing a clear, glossy finish for my Jarrah floor. Basically, I've sanded the floors and, unfortunately, applied a single coat of Cabots CFP Oil based poly without testing it on some inconspicuous stop first. The floor came out way too dark - almost black in certain areas - but very good in all other aspects. I'm facing the prospect of re-sanding the floors again, unless there's some trick that I can use to get that first coat off easily? I have a bottle of feast watson exterior timber cleaner...

What I'd like is as clear finish as possible in glossy flavour. I would imagine the water based poly is better suited for the task? Also, as its in a bedroom it will be subjected to modest traffic. Can someone recommend a good product to use?

Thanks for any help!
    Nick

Hwd Flooring Manufacturer glock40sw's Avatar

Bona Traffic
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Good question, I have a client coming up who is very conscious of her Jarrah floor darkening too much when the finish goes on.

I was thinking probably a matt based Bona - or even the Bona Naturale? Anyone have any experience with this one?

Cheers

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Guys!

Trevor, Thanks for suggesting Bona Traffic. Just finished putting a coat of Bona Primer. Can't wait for it to dry!

Namtrak, I spoke with the Cabbots and explained my problem, basically they said it's very rare when Jarrah goes almost black, but does happen - something about solvents reacting with Jarrah. But here's the thing, although it may go dark in some places, there could be a couple of floor boards that will look like they're supposed to. So I'd test on more than one spot before doing the whole floor.

I'm happy to post a pic if people want to see what black jarrah looks like.

Yeah, data sheet for Bona Naturale looks great. They even claim the stuff is repairable due to extremely low sheen(6% I think) which is major-major plus! I'm thinking about giving it a try it in one of the other bedrooms.

Question: what is the best roller to use? I used Shur-line(the one that's supposed to be 30% more efficient) from bunnies but got cautions of the texture and went over it with a brush just to be sure.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by renovator_ View Post

Question: what is the best roller to use? I used Shur-line(the one that's supposed to be 30% more efficient) from bunnies but got cautions of the texture and went over it with a brush just to be sure.

Nick
    Use the Bona specific roller. Try this mob VCS Products Pty Ltd - Timber (Powered By OpenCart)

Apprentice (new member)

Namtrak, have you ever sanded Bona Classic?

I did with a 220grit mesh screen and it left spots embedded in the finish. Im wondering whether this is normal. Any idea if this is fixable? They're a little proud above the rest of the floor, but for some reason my polivac doesnt want to pick them up.

The Bona Traffic brochure said "can be lightly sanded if necessary"...

Thanks for the roller advice, I actually got my Bona from VCS but figured I could get away without using their roller.

Cheers
    Nick

I think the 'spots' are just air bubbles and other scree which have been buffed down. A good vacuum and clean should see the floor come up okay with another coat.

Bona Classic? Is that the Prime Classic? which would just be the first coat. And yes I buff between every coat, some guys just sand before the final coat, but I prefer to be a little more thorough

Cheers

Apprentice (new member)

Yeah, sorry, it was Prime Classic.

The first coat was quite good - no air bubbles. But feeling the finish with my hand I could feel a certain coarseness, so I decided to go over it with a polivac as gently as I could.

I must say those 220 grit screens clogged up near instantly, I did change them quite often. It looks to me like those, fingernail size, spots were the result of clog build up on the screen embedded into the coat. I sanded a few out with a detail sander just to see if it could be done and it sort of did it. There are clusters of them in a couple of areas, but the rest of the floor is good.

I suppose it was best to use Bona pads as per usual, right? They claim to be non clogging.

Cheers
    Nick