Hire the best Flooring Expert

Coatings for Timber floor - Oil Hard Wax Fiddes vs Water based Loba vs Single Urethan

Golden Member

Default Coatings for Timber floor - Oil Hard Wax Fiddes vs Water based Loba vs Single Urethan

I am considering a entire wood floor re sand and polish.

90mm Spotted Gum boards direct stuck to a diamond ground concrete slab currently coated in a Single Pack Polycure finish that is honey golden.

when the boards were originally laid they had elements of pink in them that was lost when the yellowing Single Pack Urethane from Polycure was applied. It still looks nice but we also think it would have been nice to retain some pinks.

One guy has said they'll return if we proceed with a sanding job, what do others think? has the stain gone too deep?

What coating?

Hard Wax Oil

"Produces a quick drying natural matt, silk or satin water repellent, tread-fast finish that will not peel or flake. Hard wax oil is easy to maintain and as a natural replenishable product it is easy to rejuvenate timber without sanding when required"

https://www.fiddesaustralia.com/product/hard-wax-oil/

vs

Water Based Loba Duo

https://www.floorsandingsupplies.com.au/Lobadur-2k-Duo

dries clear, brings out natural look

Edit: I see there is a hierarchy of Loba Water based with

Top is

2k Supra AT
    https://www.loba.de/us/products/wate...t/2k-supra-at/
    Ceramic-reinforced waterbased 2-component polyurethane finish

2nd top is
    2k Supra
    https://www.loba.de/us/products/wate...duct/2k-supra/

not sure where Loba Duo sits

vs

Solvent Based Urethane

https://marquesflooring.com.au/produ...r-cork-finish/

Cons: will re yellow the floor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spotted-gum.jpg   spotted-gum-2.jpg  

Solvent base poly's are a thing of the past, they go yellow, off gas way too much toxic stuff, they are strong.
    Europe is heavily into hardwax products, be careful I used Osmo Hardwax and it was the WORST product I ever used (I have been meaning to put a topic up here about this disaster product)

I have used other hardwax products and they have performed as the manufacturer promised, I do believe they don't like being applied in colder weather as they cannot set properly.

Last few floor I have done, I used waterbased 2 part Intergrain product, the floors looked great, they don't do this product anymore and only have one called Ultrafloor.

Even though they were water based and said they didn't yellow, they did slightly yellow over two years, but still looked quite clear
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Coatings for Timber floor - Oil Hard Wax Fiddes vs Water based Loba vs Single Urethan

I wouldn't use solvent based polyurethane today either.

They all go yellow.

I suppose if you were staining it black and wanted a high gloss, then I guess it's suitable.

For my house with blackbutt, I used Bona Traffic HD satin based on the recommendation from my floor sander.

I did use Loba non slip for the staircase

I've had it for 18 months and it seems to be fairly hard wearing. Certainly less noticable scuffs than high gloss solvent poly.

Happy with it, will use again.

However I've also heard Loba is very good.

Se

I used Synteko 2 part waterbased a few years back on Tassie Oak stairs and they are wearing well and do not notice any yellowing.

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    I used Synteko 2 part waterbased a few years back on Tassie Oak stairs and they are wearing well and do not notice any yellowing.
    I only noticed the yellowing on the areas that had rugs down and were close to glass doors.
    When it came tole to remove the rugs (sold the house) you could see the difference in the parts that were and were not exposed, it was only slight but noticeable.

Saying that the next house I used a pre finished Spotted Gum floor and it had the same issue only more noticeable.
    Grown in Australia Manufactured in Germany ! the blurb said it had 6 coats of anti-UV etc, the coating was impeccably applied, and very tough, easy to clean, any scratches were really easy to get rid of but it did discolour in the same way.

I wouldn't probably say either of them yellowed more changed colour, the Spotted Gum went darker, the Intergrain looked to yellow slightly as it was on Cypress so was probably more noticeable as yellow as the timber is quite golden yellow to start with.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Could be slight UV deterioration of the timber itself under the coating contributing to discolouration.
    Leave freshly sanded timber out for a while and the colour will darken.