Hire the best Flooring Expert

Creating smooth surface to lay lino tiles

Novice

Default Creating smooth surface to lay lino tiles

I am looking to lay lino tiles available from Bunnings on my bathroom floor.

My bathroom originally had lino which I pulled up. Under the lino there is masonite which has a fairly thick white papery lining stuck to it over the top. My problem is that in places the masonite has been slightly gouged and in other places the papery lining is missing. This creates an uneven surface to place the lino tiles on.

In order to create an even surface the options I can think of are:

• Pulling up current masonite and replacing with new masonite Ė not possible as the toilet is sitting on the masonite and would require me resitting the toilet which I donít want to do
    • Place new layer of masonite over current layer Ė I would prefer not to do this as there is already a lip from the floor outside the bathroom into the bathroom which I have a cover strip on. My preference is not to make the differential between floor levels any larger than it already is.

Can anyone think of any solutions to this? My thought would be ideally to use some kind of putty/filler equivalent to fill the gaps to create an even surface, however I canít think of a product that would do this. Any ideas?

Thanks

3K Club Member

Oh dear,
    It sounds like the bathroom floor may not be waterproofed, unless it's under the old Masonite?

If the other hand it's a concrete floor with a covering of Masonite, you can use a self levelling compound, just mix and spread and it will find it's own level, often used under normal tiles.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Qual Tiler

vinyl layers use feather finish ARDEX FEATHER FINISH
    or if deeper larger holes ARDEX A 45

make sure you waterproof as oldsalty advises,

Default Creating smooth surface to lay lino tiles

Putting another layer if Masonite over what is there shouldn't be an issue. Makes sure you use a good amount of adhesive to bond the two layers and plenty of nails/staples to hold it together. It would be best to sand or scrape the old glue and paper of first though.
    Then sand the edges and skim coat as required.
    I would dry fit the vinyl first to make it less messy cutting your curves.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

2K Club Member

I would be patching the old masonite. Make sure its well nailed, coarse sand to clean it up patch

any holes with an epoxy filler, sand the patches , clean up and lay your new vinyl tiles

Novice

Thanks for all the replies on this.

I've looked at the different levelling products on the market that I can easily access, Bunnings has the following:
    • Dunlop Multiple Purpose Floor Leveller - listed as only to be used on concrete base
    • Dunlop Floor Repairer Minor Imperfections
    • Dunlop Floor Repairer Cracks & Holes

Can people recommend using one of these products over the other? From the descriptions the Minor Imperfections product sounds the most suitable, but I would be keen to hear any experiences other people have had.