Hire the best Flooring Expert

Fiddes freak out!

Apprentice (new member)

Angry Fiddes freak out!

At the recommendation of many on this forum, I decided on Fiddes Hard Wax for my floors. I contacted Finalysons in Brisbane to see if they had stock...yep 20lt tin. I sent my tradie down to get it and used it about 3 litres over the weekend. I find out today that the tine cost me $1700.... I could have carpeted the entire house for this! I am beside myself. I know I should have asked but I expected it to be about $400 and would have thought someone would have said something about the BLOODY PRICE. My trady didn't sign the invoice so he didn't see the price either.

Any one want to buy a 15L of Clear Satin Fiddes?

I couldn't see an online price for 20L but 2.5L is $231.

I recently bought a 125ml tin for a handrail and it was $22 and the salesrep said prices were just going up.

We are witnessing an ethical race to the bottom. Any excuse is used to rip off one another. "Climate change", Putin, petrol price, the rain, the flood, the labour shortage, Joe Biden's dementia, the CCP mafia, the left, the right, unskilled immigration, "Greed" from (insert pet hate here), toilet paper stockpiling ... did I miss something?
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    I couldn't see an online price for 20L but 2.5L is $231.

2.5 x 8 x $231
    = $1848

by that price OP got a good discount of $150 at a price of $1700
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by hensl82 View Post
    At the recommendation of many on this forum, I decided on Fiddes Hard Wax for my floors. I contacted Finalysons in Brisbane to see if they had stock...yep 20lt tin. I sent my tradie down to get it and used it about 3 litres over the weekend. I find out today that the tine cost me $1700.... I could have carpeted the entire house for this! I am beside myself. I know I should have asked but I expected it to be about $400 and would have thought someone would have said something about the BLOODY PRICE. My trady didn't sign the invoice so he didn't see the price either.

Any one want to buy a 15L of Clear Satin Fiddes?
    Fiddes is an expensive brand, nothing to do with Russia or the world trying to rip anyone off, I don't think their price has changed for quite a while.
    The price is on their website so no secrets there, also 1L covers 25sqm, so 20L will do 500sqm, Google is a wonderful free service.

Whittle Evolution 10L is around $970, these are premium brands so reflect premium prices.
    Rubio Monocoat is the best product out there, 3.5L cost $800 !!!

Could have picked up Feast Watson 4L Hardwax floor oil $122
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

I don't think their price has changed for quite a while.
    when I was picking up my 125ml tin the salesrep checked the price cause she said everything had just gone up, tho she may have been generalising as they sold other products as well.
    It seems the 125ml tins are samples for the distributors.

Maybe interested.

Yeh its a bit odd you didn't get the heads up about the $$ of 20 lt. The coverage on the Hardwax Oils is extensive as well, and at only 2 coats - it takes bugger all. Small consolation, but the $$ on all floor finishes has been moving North a lot over the last year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by namtrak View Post
    Maybe interested.

Yeh its a bit odd you didn't get the heads up about the $$ of 20 lt. The coverage on the Hardwax Oils is extensive as well, and at only 2 coats - it takes bugger all. Small consolation, but the $$ on all floor finishes has been moving North a lot over the last year or so.
    G'day Mick,
    What do you recon the coverage rate is with this stuff 20m2 per litre or 15m2 per litre? Basically I'm tryna' work out how far would a 20 litre drum go?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    G'day Mick,
    What do you recon the coverage rate is with this stuff 20m2 per litre or 15m2 per litre? Basically I'm tryna' work out how far would a 20 litre drum go?
    Hey buddy, how are you travelling?

There's a couple of variables. A good hardwood, a fine nap roller and first v second coat will make a bit of difference. I would say first coat easily 15 sqm per litre and second coat closer to 25 sqm. It doesnt work out much more expensive than polys, given that you only do 2 coats. The biggest drama I have is drying time between coats - winter can be a killer.

Hardwax Oil - Average 20 sqm per litre x 2 coats over say 100sqm = 10 litres (around $900 - $9 per sqm)

Poly - Average 15 sqm per litre x 3 coats over say 100sqm = 19 litres (around $600 - $6 per sqm)

Roughly