Hire the best Flooring Expert

Floor polisher in Brisbane?

Default Floor polisher in Brisbane?

Can someone recommend a floor polisher in Brisbane?

What is the standard per meter square rates these days?

I've decided that its a bit beyond my DIY skills...

Apprentice (new member)

Default Floors are us http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/zillmere/floors-are-us-12402368-listi

Jason Little did our place, very happy with his work.

HQ Flooring - Timber Flooring Brisbane - Timber Flooring Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane flooring, Timber Flooring

Chris Hunter is a flooring tradesman not just a sand and finisher like most of them.

Thanks. Will call tomorrow.

I have decided to do this on my own. Got a few quotes and all are quite reasonable. However because we're going to raise the house in a year or two's time, its a bit of waste of money so I'm going to "practice" a bit and try and do it myself... will be interesting to see how the results are.
    I'll take some before and after photos and see what happens...

Brave man

I went to the shop and had a look at some prices, $180 for 8 litres of 2 pak polyurethane, sander is around $80 for a day, surely its not that hard... (FAMOUS LAST WORDS I KNOW!) but that's at least half the price of getting a pro in.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyboy View Post
    , surely its not that hard... (FAMOUS LAST WORDS I KNOW!)

Most of the hire sanders are pieces of @@@@ and its ultra easy to do some serious damage. Practice on someone elses floor first

Thanks. I have thought about that and the plan is to set up a few spare/old boards outside the house and practice until I get the hang of it.

I was committed to getting Wattyl Estapol 7008 until I saw Polycure and Monothane
    Group DURAPOL - Polycure

Prices wise, Polycure is half the price and Monothane is around two thirds. Reviews online seems to suggest they are similar quality.
    Has anyone used them? Or comment on how good/bad they are?

Polycure is more of a trade brand. You won't find it In big chains as far as I know so the price is cheaper, less marketing and other commitments. Shouldn't have a problem if you choose Polycure.
    Remember good ppe with solvent based coatings.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

2K Club Member

Default Floor Sanding...

I'm not too bad at most things DIY, but... I hired a sander, took one pass and had a realisation that what I was about to do was irreversible except at huge cost and bailed. The problem is you cannot just keep going till you get the right finish...the boards have a finite thickness. And if you get the right finish then you have to coat. That in itself could be considered an artform...
    We spent $8000 10 years ago on our jarrah floors, (small house) I figured it was better saving money on what I knew I could do and leaving something this important to a bloke with lots of practice.
    Just my thoughts...

I just finished putting a coat. Thinking of putting another coat tomorrow. Is it necessary to sand before putting another coat?
    I'm using polycure 1045.

Cheers,
    S

I always cut back between coats. Helps if you can get a mechanical bond between the coats and helps cut out any nasties that may have settled in it.
    Australian Timber Flooring Association Contractor of the Year 2012/13

I finished it a few weeks ago but so busy that I forgot to post photos. So here are some before and after photos from my dodgy phone camera. I want to take some better photos but already have furniture in place.

It wasn't a complete sand to removal the previous coats as the boards are getting thin and we want to raise the house in the next 3 - 4 years. So just a quick re-coat to make it more livable for the time being.

I use a polyvac with a sanding pad to roughen it up improve bonding. 2 coats of polycure high gloss, light sand between coats. Job took 1 day for per coat. But the odour was really strong so we waited another week before moving in (even that was marginal). Reasonably happy with the results. I think I got the hang of putting the polish down and if I have a proper sand, I think it will turn up pretty good. I use a roller instead of an applicator (like the ones you use for decks). Compared to the water based polyurethane, I think this is easier to apply. I bought some wet edge enhancer but I ended up not requiring it as I got good at it.

Cost wise, I got quoted between $800 and $1500 per coat.

after1.jpgafter2.jpgafter3.jpgafter4.jpgafter5.jpgafter6.jpgbefore-1.jpgbefore4.jpgbefore5.jpgbefore7.jpgbefore8.jpgbefore9.jpg