Hire the best Flooring Expert

Floor screed fall question in a bathroom reno - diagram included

Apprentice (new member)

Default Floor screed fall question in a bathroom reno - diagram included

G'day all,

Long time reader, only just registered!

I have a question regarding falls for the screed in my bathroom that is currently about to be sheeted and then waterproofed.

This is a renovation.

I wonder what the ideas are for falls as per the diagram attached.

There is currently about a 30mm stepdown from the hallway concrete floor to the bathroom floor (concrete). I am prepared to increase the original screed there to 40 or even 50mm if necessary.

I have removed two walls from the bathroom that originally had the toilet in its own area and the shower / bath area in its own area.

I wonder whether I can do away with one of the floor wastes to make screeding easier?

The bath is a back to wall jobby that has adjustable feet, I presume a small fall under it is fine as this could be hidden with a bead of silicone at the front..

Anyone out there have any advice as to falls for the screed because I am going to tackle this myself.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bathroom-floor-dimensions.jpg  

Qual Tiler

your going to need a 40mm screed at least, to work out desired fall is easy, your room is devided into 2 rectangles (general) and 1 square (recess)
    with the recess the fall ratio is 10mm for every 600-800mm and 10mm for 1000mm in the general wet areas.

The measurement you use for your calculations will be the longest run to your waste. (diagonal)
    BTW minimum screed thickness is 25mm which will be at the waste, add that measurement to the largest fall amount to get your overall screed thickness.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by heavytrevy; 25th Jun 2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: speeling doh

2K Club Member

Wouldn't think there would be a prob getting rid of one of the floor wastes. The one in the door way could go

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the replies chaps...

So a few more questions if you will.

I plan on screeding the floor myself. I'm going to have to install an angle between the recess and the rest of the bathroom, right? I've been told this should finish 5mm or so higher than the finished tile height so that the base of the shower door can be weathered when it sits on top.

Also, when screeding, I plan to use rails in the valleys of the falls. Is there a particular way I need to approach the change of planes from one fall to another?

What I mean is that if I screed directly to a rail (the valley of the fall), the change of plane between the two sides ought to be gradual right? Else the 300mm square tiles won't sit nicely and I'll end up with cuts?

Also, the vanity side of the bathroom has almost a 25mm gap between the foot plate and the concrete slab. I know the screed will cover this but I plan on waterproofing before screeding, which means the waterproofing will have to span this gap. Do you think 190mm polyester is good enough? I was going to expand-a-foam the gap and then cut it off flush, then waterproof over it.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Apprentice (new member)

I forgot to add, the stud wall sits on packers because it appears the slab for the bathroom was formed an inch or so off...

And I am prepared to cover one of the wastes, but I won't if it gives me too much screed height at the doorway - don't want the missus tripping over it!