Hire the best Flooring Expert

Floorboards finishing a different colour

Apprentice (new member)

Default Floorboards finishing a different colour

Hi guys,

I'm having some challenges working out why my floorboards are turning out the way they are. Basically I've hired a floor sander, sanded down my timber floors and then applied Cabot's CPF Flooring (water-based polyurethane).

The challenges I'm having are around differences in colour after applying polyurethane. I've attached a photo which shows an example - you can see the left hand side there's a strip that's noticeably lighter. Now I think I know what caused this, but I can't seem to figure out (googling doesn't yield results) how to correct it. Basically the areas that show up as lighter is the areas that I have passed over with the floor sander twice (once to go from left to right but then I went over a small area from right to left to get closer to the wall on the left). Does anyone know how I can correct this?

The other challenges I've had are that there are some areas where I didn't pass the sander over twice.. but it's still showing a distinctively lighter colour in flooring. Similar issue to above, I'm just not sure what caused it or how to fix it.

Has anyone experienced this? The closest I can see when googling is if someone dropped their drum sander or held it over an area for a long period but I did neither that (the sander moves as soon as its started).

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whatsapp-image-2021-12-22-22.12.09.jpg   whatsapp-image-2021-12-23-09.13.08.jpg  
    Last edited by phild01; 23rd Dec 2021 at 05:55 PM. Reason: pic links

Hi Anon, please change your profile location to be more specific, State level as a minimum...it helps with advice.
    Also please use this site's image uploader for your pics, not links.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Phil - I've now edited the original post

Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    some areas where I didn't pass the sander over twice.
    Sanding is not a one step process, the boards should be sanded at 45 degree angle both directions and finish of along the length, with an edger used to get up to the walls.

My bet is floor not sanded enough and even across the entire area.
    I dont believe there is anything that can be done to fix the coating as the issue is underneath, only way I see is to start sanding again.

yep, time to get the sander back and get it all back to fresh wood. what grit did you take it to if you only did 1 pass?

also find a timber floor sanding supplier and get a quality 2 pack polyurethane instead of the Cabot's stuff from the big green shed.
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

7K Club Member

This is one job where getting a great finish as a DIYer is basically a fluke.

Pays to pay the pros for this...

You're doing it wrong.

DIY floor sanding is super difficult. The machines themselves aren't all that great. The lack of sandpaper knowledge is a hinderance and then there's the finishing side of things.

If you need the details of a few sanders in Sydney let me know. I know some good ones... and some ordinary one's for that matter.

I'm interested to know what grit paper you used to sand the floor and how many grits you ended up using.

You mentioned that you went over that specific area "twice", which to me indicates you used only one grit paper? If so, then if you used a coarse grit, the floor would remain rough, if you used a finer grit, you haven't sanded enough from the floor. I am leaning towards the latter scenario. Seems like a case of insufficient sanding.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...