Hire the best Flooring Expert

How can I repair such floor?

Novice

Default How can I repair such floor?

Please see pictures below

The floor was first renovated by professional in 2004. It was like new at that time,
    and now, a lot of slits you can see which are trapping dust.

My question is if these slits would promote bugs or insects?
    How can I repair this on my own?
    I have no budget for hiring professioanl at the difficult time now

Thanks for any advice.

photo6228675561547475563.jpgphoto6228675561547475562.jpg

i don't know what the 2004 renovation involved. Did they just sand and polish an old floor? Or did they lay all new floorboards?
    The gaps are the result of timber that was not kiln dried properly and has now reduced in size.
    The gaps can be cleaned by scraping the debris out careful not to scratch the surface, blown clean with a compressor or even a bicycle pump, vacuum properly and then putty close with the right product.
    Flooring professionals use caulking compound that almost perfectly match the colour of the wood. I don't know what is available in Singapore, but visiting a store that supplies flooring materials is sure to give you an answer. Tedious job but can be done. Make sure that whatever you use, can be cleaned off your existing polished surface or you will end up needing to sand the whole floor and polish again, and that is not something you can improvise with home tools ... actually ... you could sand with a random orbital sander by hand and then apply the polish, but i wouldn't wish that to an enemy.
    You could mask the edges of gaps with masking tape before applying caulking.
    Best of luck.
    As for pest harboring in the dirt, I don't know what your local pests are, but it seems unlikely.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    i don't know what the 2004 renovation involved. Did they just sand and polish an old floor? Or did they lay all new floorboards?
    The gaps are the result of timber that was not kiln dried properly and has now reduced in size.
    The gaps can be cleaned by scraping the debris out careful not to scratch the surface, blown clean with a compressor or even a bicycle pump, vacuum properly and then putty close with the right product.
    Flooring professionals use caulking compound that almost perfectly match the colour of the wood. I don't know what is available in Singapore, but visiting a store that supplies flooring materials is sure to give you an answer. Tedious job but can be done. Make sure that whatever you use, can be cleaned off your existing polished surface or you will end up needing to sand the whole floor and polish again, and that is not something you can improvise with home tools ... actually ... you could sand with a random orbital sander by hand and then apply the polish, but i wouldn't wish that to an enemy.
    You could mask the edges of gaps with masking tape before applying caulking.
    Best of luck.
    As for pest harboring in the dirt, I don't know what your local pests are, but it seems unlikely.

Hi. We moved into this apartment in 2004 and had a full renovation, all floor was new at that time, but they were kinds of irresponsible people and I remember we had serious conflicts
    and quarrel about the work and quality and we are never picky people.

You said it's reduced in size but the pictures I uploaded only show a few examples.
    Almost 80% of floor plate that we walk on has this problem now but for those floor wasn't .
    walked on (e.g. under bed, cupboard) they are mostly good. Why those not walked on
    do not reduce in size?

In recent months we are experiencing moth problem, they are kinds of moth that
    feed on clothes and like dust so much.

The floor under the bed or cupboards is less exposed and had a chance to dry in a more stable environment and shrunk less.
    But that is academic, you need to do something now.
    As for moth, moth larvae feed on animal fibres that contain keratin, leather, wool, silk, felt etc. The floor will have nothing to do with their diet and neither has dust.
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Looking at those images it looks like the original job included puttying the gaps in the boards and the main reason the high traffic areas look like this now is that the putty has come out due to traffic and movement. Perhaps some shrinkage in there too.

You could try and clean the joins and putty it up, but not sure how long it would last without a good floor finish over the top. Perhaps some other epoxy type filler may do the job but as Marc has said, it would need to be able to be cleaned off the boards well enough else you may end up with a very poor finish and needing to sand the floor, which I assume is something you don't want to be doing right now.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Looking at those images it looks like the original job included puttying the gaps in the boards and the main reason the high traffic areas look like this now is that the putty has come out due to traffic and movement. Perhaps some shrinkage in there too.

You could try and clean the joins and putty it up, but not sure how long it would last without a good floor finish over the top. Perhaps some other epoxy type filler may do the job but as Marc has said, it would need to be able to be cleaned off the boards well enough else you may end up with a very poor finish and needing to sand the floor, which I assume is something you don't want to be doing right now.
    What would you advise me do now, as someone who has no experienced in this area? How
    should I fix this problem... It traps down a lot of dust and dirt.....

If there is movement in the floor, I would be looking at some type of flexible gap filler that matches the colour of the floorboard or existing putty. (If I had to take a guess it looks like the existing putty is a Teak colour.) Not sure what products are available in Singapore, but several options to choose from here in Australia at least. I would clean out the cracks well while being careful not to scratch surrounding floorboards. Perhaps starting with a toothbrush and scraping out anything more stubborn with a blade.

I would tape up each side of the crack and then work the filler into the gap and run a flat edge across it to make it is nice and flat. Remove tape and perhaps run flat edge across is again and clean up surrounding floorboards.Not an expensive job.

I had to fill plenty of cracks in my floorboards before finishing them with a coating. I used a product popular here in Australia called Timbermate. This brand also has a more flexible version of the product I believe. The putty I used in my floorboards hasn't moved and it has been 13 years.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    If there is movement in the floor, I would be looking at some type of flexible gap filler that matches the colour of the floorboard or existing putty. (If I had to take a guess it looks like the existing putty is a Teak colour.) Not sure what products are available in Singapore, but several options to choose from here in Australia at least. I would clean out the cracks well while being careful not to scratch surrounding floorboards. Perhaps starting with a toothbrush and scraping out anything more stubborn with a blade.

I would tape up each side of the crack and then work the filler into the gap and run a flat edge across it to make it is nice and flat. Remove tape and perhaps run flat edge across is again and clean up surrounding floorboards.Not an expensive job.

I had to fill plenty of cracks in my floorboards before finishing them with a coating. I used a product popular here in Australia called Timbermate. This brand also has a more flexible version of the product I believe. The putty I used in my floorboards hasn't moved and it has been 13 years.

What is the product in Australia you are trying to recommend? Sg is close to Australia and I have friends and colleagues who can always travel there. What is the product? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bestrong View Post
    Sg is close to Australia and I have friends and colleagues who can always travel there.
    Might be a while!

Quote Originally Posted by bestrong View Post
    What is the product in Australia you are trying to recommend? Sg is close to Australia and I have friends and colleagues who can always travel there. What is the product? Thanks
    This will do what you want.

https://www.selleys.com.au/products/...timber-floors/
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir