Hire the best Flooring Expert

Insurance issues - Wonder Floor/Floating

Default Insurance issues - Wonder Floor/Floating

Hi Guys, I have an issue atm with the my insurance company, since our dishwasher flood that pretty much destroyed 90% of our house we currently have what the insurance and flooring company call 'wonder flooring'. Apparently our Tassie oak wonder floor is no longer available. I've measured the floor to be around 10mm thick and its currently stuck down. Since this needs replacing the insurance company has informed me that its no longer available and as such the equivalent is a floating floor.

They said they can only replace the previous wonder floor with a floating floor, however I want to have the floating floor stuck down as what was previously there and they said its not possible.
    Do I have a solid ground to argue the fact that I should be entitle to a stuck down floor as what was previously there even though that type of flooring is currently no longer available?

Also has anyone heard of wonder floor or the old 10mm flooring that they stuck down? I know Boral can do a floating floor in both stuck down and floating but this flooring company believe they can't do it unless we use another type of solid timber.
    Any advice would be great.
    thanks

Tool Whore - 1K Club Member Vernonv's Avatar

Is this "wonder floor" solid or laminated timber?

You can get 11mm or 12mm overlay flooring (solid timber) that gets stuck directly down to concrete (I assume your current floor is glued to concrete?)
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernonv View Post
    Is this "wonder floor" solid or laminated timber?

You can get 11mm or 12mm overlay flooring (solid timber) that gets stuck directly down to concrete (I assume your current floor is glued to concrete?)
    Yes the 'wodner floor' is timber. It is also stuck directly to the concrete. Maybe it is 11mm or 12 as you have mentioned, we are having our slab grinded or sanded to remove the glue underneath.

So would i be in my rights to request for stuck down floating as opposed to just floating?
    If the flooring i have is no longer avaiable i don't believe i should be disadvantge should I?

You certainly could argue that the direct stick overlay flooring is very similar to your wonder floor.

If you are not happy with what they (insurance and/or floor people) are suggesting, then I would argue long and hard for what you do want.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Hwd Flooring Manufacturer glock40sw's Avatar

G'day.
    Contact Amerind timber in Melbourne. They stock 12mm overlay solid wood T&G for Direct stick installations.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

Thanks for the replies guys i'll check Amerind site as well.

I've attached a couple of photos of the current tassie oak flooring that will be pulled up. It measures around 10-11mm

When i 'ripped' a couple out last night i notice no underlay as such, all i could see was a white/creamy gluey paste left on the slab, so i guess there is no moisture protection is this normal?

floor1.jpg

floor2.jpg

floor3.jpg

I still don't believe that a floating floor is a 'like for like' for what i currently have although it isn't by the looks of things the best quality flooring.

The main point is that my current floor still gives a solid floor feel, unlike a traditional floating which there suggesting and which would de-value our house.

Quote Originally Posted by want2learn View Post
    When i 'ripped' a couple out last night i notice no underlay as such, all i could see was a white/creamy gluey paste left on the slab, so i guess there is no moisture protection is this normal?
    It is possible that they could have used an epoxy sealer (moisture barrier) - Can you see bare concrete in any places? Does it look like it has a transparent coating on it?
    Cheers.

Vernon.

Hwd Flooring Manufacturer glock40sw's Avatar

G'day.
    Bondcrete may have been used as a slab seal.

For a new Direct stick floor I'd only use Selleys Direct Stick adhesive with their VBS slab sealer. This Selleys system works great for Dirct stick.

A floater is nothing like a solid wood floor. gluing down a floater can cause all sorts of delamination issues between the layers that make up the floater.

The floater is designed to be able to move as climatic changes occur. By fixing it down, you remove the option to move thus causing the delamination.

Dirct stick solid wood doesn't have the delamination issue.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor
    Grafton

What you've got isn't a floating floor. It's solid timber overlay flooring... Something you can even buy at Bunnings now... Your insurance company is trying it on with you...