Hire the best Flooring Expert

Joists running in the wrong direction

Apprentice (new member)

Default Joists running in the wrong direction

Hi Guys,

I live in a 1930's timber house in Brisbane and the previous owner did an extension which they chose to floor with chipboard & cork tiles rather than floorboards like the rest of the house. I really want to replace the timber floorboards in the whole house (except bedrooms(carpet) & bathrooms(tiled)). The problem is that the extension has the floor joists running the opposite way to the old part. My question is what the best way would be to refloor? Should I noggin between all joists of the extension (smaller area than the rest of the house) ? Will I get squeaking floor problems ? If I use noggins, should I use steel connector plate type angle brackets to support (or batten screw)? Or is there is a better way ?

The join is right through the middle of the living room so the join looks kind of obvious.

Thanks,
    Adrian.

Hi
    If the extension has chipboard down you can lay the timber floor directly over it in the direction you want,

Quote Originally Posted by brissyboy View Post
    Hi
    If the extension has chipboard down you can lay the timber floor directly over it in the direction you want,
    I would assume that Cobra can't just lay the floorboards over the chipboard as then the boards would be too high.
    Remember the 7 p's.
    Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Apprentice (new member)

Yes, I considered laying over the top but there are stairs leading to downstairs that would create a trip hazard (ie. top riser taller than the others).

yes but if he is replacing the floorboards in the rest of the house he may be able to lay over the whole lot.

Old Chippy 6K

Over the top makes more sense. A 19mm height difference at room junctions is fine and stairs too can usually be managed.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks Bloss, I'd love to go over the top of existing as long as I can solve the stair issue. What methods of solving the extra height in the stairs are there? Currently they are clear coated Kwila.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Over the top makes more sense. A 19mm height difference at room junctions is fine and stairs too can usually be managed.
    19mm difference at the room junction might be fine (although I think it would grind my gears).

Cobra said the join is right through the middle of the room
    Remember the 7 p's.

Apprentice (new member)

The old flooring is at the same level as the chipboard so no need for a step. Currently the cork tiles are sitting up 6-7mm above the old flooring but this height would disappear when I strip the cork tiles off.

Now I understand, it needs to be expalined more times the older I get....
    Remember the 7 p's.

Old Chippy 6K

I need to read more carefully too! IMO (although not the BCA!) a single rise of 19mm on one stair will not be an issue. Other might have different view. Problems with stairs usually arise when there are a number of variations, but even then few people have problems juts as we don't when we walk up a rocky or other uneven slope.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Novice

Seems to me once cork is removed, that only 12mm will be added to the top step riser. Maybe even less if there is masonite to strip as well.